Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Stage1 Download vs. Stock Map

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 12:44 AM
zzmellio
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stage1 Download vs. Stock Map

Does anyone know just how much richer the Stage1 download is over the stock map? I know it raises the rev limit, but in my opinion my bike ran worse after the download. I have a PCIII USB installed but was wondering if I should use the maps Dynojet made for my bike with the stock ECM instead of the Stage 1.

PS. Stage 1 download was not worth the money. Save it and buy a PCIII

Old 06-29-2006, 09:54 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Default RE: Stage1 Download vs. Stock Map

Well, first, you don't need to install HD maps if you have a PCIII. If you do install HD Maps, then you need to have your PCIII dyno'd. (I'm assuming here that this is what you are missing, but I couldn't tell from your description). If you didn't have the PCIII remapped after you installed the StageI HD maps, then yes the bike will run worse and you may be doing damage to your engine (I don't know the specifics of HD's maps).

All of the engine changes made to a Harley are incremental and expensive. I don't think any of them turn a Harley into a fire breathing tire burning monster when compared to Suzukis or Yamahas, either. If you go to 113-124 ci aftermarket engines, well, then that may get you what you're after.

I found that a PCIII USB, a good set of pipes, and a Stage I Air Cleaner made my bike more to my liking except where gas mileage is concerned, and I'm working on that. It runs like bikes used to run before the EPA got to motorcycles. I'm not saying that what has happened to bikes is necessarily bad, either. Harleys will do what Corvettes did, eventually... they will give you performance, emissions, and power. They just need the time to get the engineering and retooling done without breaking the bank. We will still all need louder pipes, though, won't we?

C#

Old 06-30-2006, 12:25 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I went with the Stage I and HD download, stock exhaust system. The bike runs much better, crisper throttle response, freer revving, and more power at higher rpms. It does use more gas when pulling the hills, but makes up for it on the level and at slower speeds. Overall, my mileage went from 36-38 to 40-46. I get slightly more air cleaner noise but not objectionable.

I don't understand all the vehement remarks about this upgrade. I guess I am either stupid or easily satisfied. Whatever, I am glad I spent the money. More power means poorer gas mileage, greater tire wear, and more temptation to use the power inappropriately.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:29 AM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PCIII and dyno, only way to go!