Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

which tuner???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 11:08 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
I can acess any setting I need to. Please name those mysterious settings that are not available. Perhaps you are referring to some adjustment of the flux capacitor?

The SEST and the TTS are simply tools to adjust the various tables in he ECM. The above statement makes no sense except to say that the maps included w/the SESTP are all based on HD parts, but a performance tune is going to depend on the tuner's experience and skill w/the Dyno. Whether he uses the TTS or SESTP is personal preference.

This is pure bs. Again a vague reference to some mysterious secret settings that HD doesn't know about. Some secret turbo setting perhaps?

The software update policy is exactly the same as nealy any other software package you would buy.

This s really a load of crap.

I view and print data all the time, I can cut and paste tables to excel and save it if I want. I can collect data as I ride w/out having to drag my aptop around.

Smart Tune works fine. TTS VTune likely uses the same or very simular algorythms to to do it's thing. And BTW, VTune and Smart tune are used to sync the VE tables. Neither make or suggest any changes to AFR tables.

I don't find this to be the case.

When you put the unit into smart tune mode it sets up the ECM for a broader range of closed lop data collection.

None of the above makes any sense, how do you know what any program is doing under the covers. To smart tune you check the Smart tune box, put the unit in data collection mode and colect data. Ride or on a dyno. Once you got the data you open your map open the ve table select the smart tune table and load the files of collected data. You can load several data runs. The software calculates adjustment to the VE tables and if you want it will insert the new values.

I can set the CLB just about what ever I want.

I can set the CLB just about what ever I want.

I've never had these problems w/three major releases of the software, installed on XP, Vista, or Windows 7.

After i researched this NOLAN error it seemed to be limited to using an older version of the software on a 64bit OS.

You already said this.

More BS. I can do this. If I want I can put data into excel spreadsheets.

This really needs to more about sharing information, and less about spouting BS to promote one tuning tool over another.

The TTS or the SESTP are just tools to make he adjustments. The real tuning is the knowlege, skill, and experience of the tuner.

I ran across some backup data on another forum, perhaps this helps. This is from the data sheet so no BS:

TTS provided - SEST provided
Air Fuel Ratio Adjustment Y
VE Front Cylinder y
VE Rear cylinder y
PE AFR n
Warmup Enrichment y
Cranking Fuel y
Closed Loop Bias Front Cylinder y
Closed Loop Bias Rear Cylinder y
Accel Enrichment y
Decel Enleanment y
Spark Advance Front Cylinder y
Spark Advance Rear Cylinder y
PE Spark n
Spark Temperature Correction n
Closed Throttle Spark n
Adaptive Knock Retard n
Idle RPM y
IAC Warmup Steps y
IAC Crank to Run n
IAC Crank Steps n
Max Knock Retard n
Injector Size y
Engine Displacement y
RPM Limiter y
Knock Control y
EITMS Control y
PE Mode Control n
Primary Ratio Correction n
Speedometer Correction n
ACR Control y
Active Intake/Exhaust Control (HDI Bikes) y
Fan Control (Vrods) n
Throttle Blade Control (DBW Bikes) y
Backup Copy of Original ECM Program n
Full Graphing of all tables y
Auto Tune with NO extra parts (CL Bikes) y

So I guess what you are missing is these, and you'll only miss them if you think there is something to gain by adjusting these.
1. PE Mode Control
2. PE AFR
3. Closed Throttle Spark

The following may be BS but a few independent shops have verified that Smart Tune reverted to 14.68 AFR closed loop no matter what CLB you picked. Smart tune is 'automated'. You would never have known without a sniffer. Who knows what else is automatically set regardless of what you pick, I don't have that info as it seems that HD has not been so open with how SEST works. So you may be able put in many kinds of adjustments, but smart tune may think its smarter than you and just do what it wants anyway.

If you stay away from smart tune, your settings seem to stick.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

...And BTW, VTune and Smart tune are used to sync the VE tables...
Are you using the correct term here? If so, what does the VE tables sync with?

The program(s) may calibrate the VE tables (or provide access to them allowing the tuner to set them to anything he/she wants) but not sync them with something else.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:58 PM
tgshoe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pine Tree

The program(s) may calibrate the VE tables (or provide access to them allowing the tuner to set them to anything he/she wants) but not sync them with something else.
Actually the Smart Tune can sync your VE tables with the values it recommends. By "sync" I mean change only the values it recommends a change for and leaves the rest alone and then blends the recommnedations into the current VE table.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:06 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdCase
The following may be BS but a few independent shops have verified that Smart Tune reverted to 14.68 AFR closed loop no matter what CLB you picked. Smart tune is 'automated'. You would never have known without a sniffer. Who knows what else is automatically set regardless of what you pick, I don't have that info as it seems that HD has not been so open with how SEST works. So you may be able put in many kinds of adjustments, but smart tune may think its smarter than you and just do what it wants anyway.

If you stay away from smart tune, your settings seem to stick.
What is it the "automated Smart Tune" is doing behind my back? What is it that is automated about Smart Tune compared to VTune?

Have you ever used Smart Tune? I use it a good bit experimenting. I load my map into the software open the ve tables and select Smart Tune. I then load the data runs and click the calculate button. The software reads the data and reccomends any necessary corrections in cells that were covered by the run. Before the run I reloaded the map to the ecm and click the buttons to clear adaptive fuel, and this is for a Smart Tune Run. Doing this sets up the AFRs across the board for Closed Loop and some other settings that allow for more accurate data gathering. Then I do the data run.

After the calculations are complete I can review them and click a button to have the corresponding cells in the VE tables replaced with the new data. PLEASE NOTE that this changes only the data in the VE tables. I have messed around experimenting w/the CLB settings, but I read somewhere that the changes produced were small and not really worth the trouble so I went back to base settings. You seem to be suggesting that the sneaky Smart Tune is going behind my back and doing strange things on it's own.

From what you are saying I'm not really sure you undestand a very basic idea. The ECM is a computer. It runs pograms that control fuel, ignition, and other functions. As the program executes it reads parameters from areas in memory and uses these parameters and feed back from engine sensors to appropriately control the appropriate functions, fuel, ignition, etc.

TTS or SESTP are nothing more than tools that access the memory areas in the ECM that contain the necessary parameters, AFR, VE, Spark Advance, CLB, etc. We load what we call a map into the software, manipulate the values as we desire, and using the VCI to conect the PC to ECM we overwrite the existing parameters in the ECM with the new stuff. So Smart Tune effects only VE tables. It does nothing to manipulate or control the ECM. I do data runs, Smart Tune analyzes the data collected, and adjusts settings in the VE tables. I flash the new data to the ECM, and ride. I have never used VTune, but I suppose the process is simular. I would be interested to know the procedure you follow for a VTune, beginning with the data collection.

As far as HD not being open about how SESTP or Smart Tune works, Is TTS more open? Has TTS revealed the algorythms they use? In all likelyhood there is not much difference between the logic TTS uses for VTune and the logic used by Smart Tune. I doubt that HD or TTS want to make their software "open source" and that is the only way to actually know what is really going on in either case.

The readers of this forum would be much better served by discussions of how individuals use the tuning tools that they have whether it is TTS, SESTP, Fuel Pak, PCV, or whatever rather than having every thread in this area turn into a useless debate over whether the TTS is better than the SESTP.

Last edited by jluvs2ride; 06-20-2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:09 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

I meant Synch. The Smart Tune process is synchronizing my VE tables with the actual VE performance of my engine. Much as I might synch my watch to Greenwich Mean Time - 5:00.

Last edited by jluvs2ride; 06-19-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Pine Tree

...Doing this sets up the AFRs across the board for Closed Loop and some other settings that allow for more accurate data gathering....
That's the sticking point...the AutoTune is using a lean, closed-loop AFR setting across the board even in areas of high load which, by nearly all accounts, is not good (hence the manufacturer's disclaimer warning against the use of such lean AFR's under high loads).

And with the demand by a large percentage of owners to see the all-important WOT numbers, the use of closed-loop under those load conditions should be a real concern.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Pine Tree

I meant Synch. The Smart Tune process is synchronizing my VE tables with the actual VE performance of my engine. Much as I might synch my watch to Greenwich Mean Time - 5:00.
OK, thanks for the clarification...now I know you're using sync in a more generic manner.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Gordon65
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the sticking point...the AutoTune is using a lean, closed-loop AFR setting across the board even in areas of high load which, by nearly all accounts, is not good (hence the manufacturer's disclaimer warning against the use of such lean AFR's under high loads).

And with the demand by a large percentage of owners to see the all-important WOT numbers, the use of closed-loop under those load conditions should be a real concern.
i don't think it is using closed loop under WOT conditions.

Here's my AFR table. i've not changed it.
which tuner???-afr.jpg

Old 06-20-2010, 06:27 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

You are kidding right??

First of all it's Smart Tune, not Auto Tune. Smart Tune only analyzes data collected during a data run. It is the actual data collection run where we set the AFRs to the lean closed loop across the board. TTS would have to do something simular.

These lean settings are only for the Smart Tune Data runs to put the system into Closed loop in a broader range. In order to gather the required info concerning VE performance of a particular cell the corresponding AFR cell needs to be closed loop. If you are running everything open loop, your O2 sensors aren't providing the infomation you need. I'm surprised you didn't know this. Once I have made the adjustments I desire, I reload the map w/out checking the smart tune box. The map is loaded w/whatever values are in the AFR tables.

Last edited by jluvs2ride; 06-20-2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:35 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as HD not being open about how SESTP or Smart Tune works, Is TTS more open? Has TTS revealed the algorythms they use? In all likelyhood there is not much difference between the logic TTS uses for VTune and the logic used by Smart Tune. I doubt that HD or TTS want to make their software "open source" and that is the only way to actually know what is really going on in either case.
I have to agree highly with this statement. TTS nor any other tuning system is going to give you their proprietary information on the algorithms on how they tune or how they apply the adaptions to the ECM. That is why you end up with either a closed box system or a "dongle" to communicate with the ECM.

In addition, Harley Davidson corp doesn't really support tuning your bike beyond their flashes and what came stock. They will be more than happy to sell you their tuner, but they don't support modifying it.

Quick Reply: which tuner???