Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Intermittent Starting Problem on my ’09 Softail Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Lucy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Starting Problem on my ’09 Softail Deluxe

I purchased this “09 Softail Deluxe brand new in September 2009, it now has 10,000 miles on it. This problem has been occurring on and off since I bought it, and the dealer claims they cannot find out what the problem is.

On occasion when I press the starter button, nothing happens… no click, no turning over of the engine, nothing but silence. When I press it again, it starts right up!
There is, seemingly, no pattern to this. I can ride for days with no problem, and then suddenly I press the start button, and again, nothing, no click, no sound at all!

This last time, I had pressed the start button repeatedly, and again, nothing!
So, I turned the ignition switch to off and put the engine stop switch to off, and re-did the starting sequence again. Voile, it started right up!

I am tired of the dealer telling me they “can’t reproduce the problem” and that “they have checked everything out and can’t find anything wrong with the starter, even after starting the bike many times, and it turning over for them every time”.

This bike will be out of warranty next year, but worse, I don’t want to get stranded somewhere, if this intermittent starting problem suddenly stops being intermittent!

FYI, the bike was purchased brand new, no miles on it, I keep it on a battery tender whenever I am not riding it, and there are no other electrical or starting problems with it.

Thanks for any advice you can give me, that I can take to the dealer as my wrenching abilities are very limited!

Sharon

Old 09-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Buddy had the same problem. They replaced the engine stop switch and it cured him. Sounds just like what you have.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts
Default My Guess

JUST MY GUESS. My guess is since it does not duplicate easily and usually this type of problem is from a mechanical in nature type problem and with as few a miles as you have I believe its the actual thumb switch on the bar. Note were your thumb is hitting the switch. Have the key off and the engine off/run in the off position. Put your thumb on the start switch with the center of your thumb almost at the lower edge and push down till you hit the full down position. Now do it again only slide you thumb up slightly. Notice the stop does not fill quite the same. Now go the other way downward with the thumb. With mine I can barely hit the bottom this way. Also be sure your battery terminals are tight. I do all my own work and somehow mine actually got not loose but not tight and I was getting a hesitation in the cranking (however in this case is was cranking) It could be the actually handlebar switch, starter relay in the fuse box, or starter solenoid. Leave the off/run in the on all the time for a while (I never use mine) and see if problem goes away. That actually just and on/off switch that snaps in and it could go bad but once snapped in and working I doubt it would become a problem and that may help isolate what is problem. If is not the handle bar start switch (how you are pushing it ) my second guess would be a dirty starter solenoid but that would required a lot of starts. (I hold my starter in till engine runs. Have 40K and have not had a problem. Some people hit the starter and let up as soon as they here the engine hits and get a lot of false runs. Depending on how you start engine determines starter solenoid life. Note do not think this problem will leave you stranded. May be aggravating but it will start after you hit it a few times.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-18-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:14 PM
donovann2o
Intermediate

I had the same problem...however I could hear my solenoid getting power when I engaged the starter button. I removed the cover of the solenoid and cleaned the contacts inside and also lubricated the spring inside with wd40 to loosen it up and havent had a problem since. If youre not hearing any initial engaging "tick" coming from the solenoid then it is not receiving an engaging command.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:57 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Life

Originally Posted by donovann2o
I had the same problem...however I could hear my solenoid getting power when I engaged the starter button. I removed the cover of the solenoid and cleaned the contacts inside and also lubricated the spring inside with wd40 to loosen it up and havent had a problem since. If youre not hearing any initial engaging "tick" coming from the solenoid then it is not receiving an engaging command.
Add a bit of info--Had many miles of starts on starter.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:25 PM
donovann2o
Intermediate

I had around 11k miles on the starter...it was an aftermarket starter as well...

Old 09-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by donovann2o
I had around 11k miles on the starter...it was an aftermarket starter as well...
Almost getting somewere now.? How long did the original first starter last and what happen to it?

Old 06-03-2011, 08:41 PM
finnster60
Stage II

I have an 08 Heritage Classic with the same problem, sometimes it starts some it doesn't. Afraid to take it out, don't want to get stranded. Trying not to pay that $100.00 an hour but might have to.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:13 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem on a 95 Ultra. I bought a pushbutton that mounts on the started solenoid. A chrome one costs about 15.00 on ebay. with this pushbutton, you won't have to worry about getting stranded.

Last edited by wjl24; 06-18-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:53 AM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Took my fairing off to look for a possible bad ground. Found a loose connection. Good luck with yours.

Last edited by wjl24; 06-18-2011 at 11:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Starting Problem on my ’09 Softail Deluxe