Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignition-tuner-ecm-fuel-injection-55/)
-   -   09 Ultra Andrews 48h cams tuned (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignition-tuner-ecm-fuel-injection/582412-09-ultra-andrews-48h-cams-tuned.html)

UltraNutZ 11-14-2010 03:31 PM

09 Ultra Andrews 48h cams tuned

Was looking to get some advise from a SEST Pro Tuner on this;

Local HD tuner spent about 6 or 7 hours on it yesterday stating that the andrews cams gave him fits but he finally got it tweaked in (and $400 later). I rode it for a few minutes last night and was pleased however the motor was still warm.

This cool (49*) morning I go out, start the bike to let it run for a couple of minutes before I take off for a ride. Idles perfectly fine.. When I go to take off, it spits, sputters and backfires so I chalked it up to being cold. About an hour into my ride (and I rode it hard for that hour) and oil temp up to about 210, it's still spitting, sputtering and backfiring at lower RPMs. I watched it closely and verified the following

As long as RPMs are above exactly 2k it runs perfectly. The second I drop below 2k RPMs it starts spitting and sputtering and backfiring. This is a problem especially when taking off from a stop light or such as I almost dropped the damn thing the first time it did it.

About an hour and half into the ride, i noticed it calmed down a little but it's still doing it very noticeably.

So what I'm hoping for is someone with SEST Pro experience to reply and say "hey send me your dyno maps from this tune and I'll see what I can do for you" instead of bringing the bike back to the dealer and waiting for 2 days to get it tuned again. I've got the SEST Pro, with the cables and I think I'm more than capable of pulling the old map off the VCI and replacing it with something modified.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance
Ultra

arealinvestor 11-14-2010 03:54 PM

The fuel table in the lower rpm ranges is not right.I would say take it back,but its obvious that he can't get it right.Call Doc at HDMD tuning center, & see if he has trained someone in your area on the SEST.Take it to them.This will save you the aggrevation of going back & forth with the old tuner.Chalk the old tuner up as a loss!!!

harleytuner 11-14-2010 09:09 PM

I'll take a look at it for you, i'll PM you my e-mail if you want to send me a copy. I'd be more than happy to take a little look see for you.

UltraNutZ 11-15-2010 08:33 AM

everyday that goes by and I have to contact people that are recommended on this forum and recognized as experts in their fields, i'm simply amazed at how they are willing to help.
arealinvestor, thanks for the hook-up with Doc.

he educated me on the 14.7 air to fuel ratio issues
he educated me on the issues with Thunder header slipons and how to tune them yourself (you need a retune after you do this to correct fuel)
he educated me on the step method of tuning vs the set method
he educated me on the VE tables +5% to increase the life of your engines

damn my brain hurts now! now i've got some ammunition to back to the tuner with whether I use the same one or move on to another tuner.

arealinvestor 11-15-2010 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ (Post 7537071)
everyday that goes by and I have to contact people that are recommended on this forum and recognized as experts in their fields, i'm simply amazed at how they are willing to help.
arealinvestor, thanks for the hook-up with Doc.

he educated me on the 14.7 air to fuel ratio issues
he educated me on the issues with Thunder header slipons and how to tune them yourself (you need a retune after you do this to correct fuel)
he educated me on the step method of tuning vs the set method
he educated me on the VE tables +5% to increase the life of your engines

damn my brain hurts now! now i've got some ammunition to back to the tuner with whether I use the same one or move on to another tuner.

Great dude.Glad Doc could help you.He's one of the best at tuning Harley's.He actually taught the guy that tuned & built my bike.He travels all over the country teaching tuning techniques!!!! He's good.If he ,or anyone he taught tunes your bike, you can bet it's right & hauls ass!!!

UltraNutZ 11-15-2010 02:13 PM

i sent Doc an email and am awaiting a response from him but wanted to ask you all also.

Apparently the files (maps) that my tuner gave me won't open on my computer or Doc's computers either. My tuner states he is running version 4 of the software and I was running version 1.xx so I went down to the dealer bought the new version and am still unable to open them. Called my tuner, he says he can open them fine. I'm tired of jacking around with this..

Should I scrap my investment and go with the TTS? The $$ is irrelavent at this point, it's a principal thing now.

arealinvestor 11-15-2010 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ (Post 7538340)
i sent Doc an email and am awaiting a response from him but wanted to ask you all also.

Apparently the files (maps) that my tuner gave me won't open on my computer or Doc's computers either. My tuner states he is running version 4 of the software and I was running version 1.xx so I went down to the dealer bought the new version and am still unable to open them. Called my tuner, he says he can open them fine. I'm tired of jacking around with this..

Should I scrap my investment and go with the TTS? The $$ is irrelavent at this point, it's a principal thing now. I feel that something is going on and he doesn't want to release the correct files to me.

I really don't have an answer for you.I would ask Doc & see what he said.I guess if money is no issue then i would say go with the TTS.Ask Doc can your SEST be upgraded to the TTS?? The people that made the orginal SERT make the TTS.I really don't know if they are compatable.Just know that your dealing with one of the best, & when he gets your bike right, or one of his students does,it's going to run like a raped ape!!!!

UltraNutZ 11-15-2010 02:29 PM

money not being an issue and being irrelavent are not the same! LOL

my time and frustration dealing with this is worth it's weight in gold is all I was trying to say. :)

Mr. Wizard 11-15-2010 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ (Post 7538385)
money not being an issue and being irrelavent are not the same! LOL

my time and frustration dealing with this is worth it's weight in gold is all I was trying to say. :)

UNZ... if this means anything... I gave up on the SEPro a long while back. Now all of my bikes have the TTS and I couldn't be happier and two SEPro VCI's are in the trash. The $ can be a tough nut to eat but sometimes best is best. I haven't looked back.

If you need help, there is customer support or guys like Doc to lean on. The system is so easy to use and understand that when they see me on caller ID they know it's just to bust the latest joke. Dare ya to try that with the SEPro guys.

Just my 0.02 and sticking to it.

:icon_user:

UltraNutZ 11-15-2010 03:14 PM

i guess part of my problem is control;
  • i'm very mechanically inclined and will try to work on just about anything.
  • I'm a 24 year IT guy and not scared of computers or the repercussions of screwing something up. I know it can be fixed, it's 1s and 0s.. ALL OF IT!
  • I understand (although limited) a bit about the tuning process and it's caveats
  • I do not like purchasing anything that remains in the "control" of someone else as this dang SESTP is.
  • and last but not least, it is the most complicated thing I've ever seen, even just navigating around in it.