Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignition-tuner-ecm-fuel-injection-55/)
-   -   Burned wire (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignition-tuner-ecm-fuel-injection/60204-burned-wire.html)

JeansXLH 10-03-2006 08:26 AM

Burned wire

I posted this in the Sportster section and got no replies, so I thought maybe I'd have better luck here.
I have a 1976 XLH, just replaced starter solenoid and drive clutch. Worked great, no loud crashing anymore but still didn't want to start. Replaced points and condenser and it fired right up. I was so happy revving that I didn't notice positive battery wire laying against rear exhaust. Melted through and shorted out. Replaced wire, now I have lights, turn signals, horn but nothing with the starter button.
What's everyone think I fried? Circuit breaker behind voltage regulator? (I thought if it was a circuit breaker that they automaticly reset), didn't see any other melted wires, but didn't pull apart the headlight or right side switch yet to check starter button wires. Will try those options this week. Sure would be nice if it is something SIMPLE and EASY TO GET TO. Any ideas? Thanks

springer_ 10-03-2006 10:19 AM

RE: Burned wire

There should be an ignition circuit breaker, check it. Also you might have damaged the starter relay for some reason. There are other possibilities but those are the simple and cheap ones. Try them first.

JeansXLH 10-03-2006 06:38 PM

Update...pulled the right side switch apart. Everything looks O.K. and checks out. Tested the 3 circuit breakers under the seat, all test O.K. with continuity tester. I pulled the starter relay and was just about to test it when called away for work. Sure hope it's this relay, cuz if it isn't, I don't know where to look. thanks

springer_ 10-04-2006 12:41 AM

If it's not the relay ... I can tell you what to look for next. Let me know how it turns out.

JeansXLH 10-04-2006 05:11 PM

Well, I tested the starter relay and although it worked, it didn't work every time, so I replaced it. Trouble is, it still didn't cure the problem. So far I know the starter relay is good, solenoid is good and circuit breakers test good. Playing with everything, I did find something that I don't think is right. If I use my ohm meter and check any circuit breaker connection, I show a complete circuit to ground. That just doesn't seem right. It would be a lot easier if there was a melted wire or something. I'm really beginning to lose patience here. I'm missing something and I think it might have something to do with the RUN/OFF switch, but I can't find the problem. Sign me "STUMPED" thanks

springer_ 10-05-2006 08:23 PM

If you want to send me a PM with a phone number and time to call, I will try to give you a call. It is too extensive to try to type how to troubleshoot this problem.

JeansXLH 10-05-2006 09:21 PM

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to help - I will be in touch.

JeansXLH 10-09-2006 09:53 PM

FOUND IT !!! The starter button wire that runs from the headlight thru the main harness to the starter relay was bad. It was green corroded copper that had broken and would make contact occassionally when I moved the harness. I fished a new wire thru the harness and now it works great.
I want to thank everyone, especially Springer for all the help. - Thanks

springer_ 10-10-2006 01:38 PM

ORIGINAL: JeansXLH

FOUND IT !!! .......
Good to hear!!!!