Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Burned wire

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 08:26 AM
JeansXLH
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burned wire

I posted this in the Sportster section and got no replies, so I thought maybe I'd have better luck here.
I have a 1976 XLH, just replaced starter solenoid and drive clutch. Worked great, no loud crashing anymore but still didn't want to start. Replaced points and condenser and it fired right up. I was so happy revving that I didn't notice positive battery wire laying against rear exhaust. Melted through and shorted out. Replaced wire, now I have lights, turn signals, horn but nothing with the starter button.
What's everyone think I fried? Circuit breaker behind voltage regulator? (I thought if it was a circuit breaker that they automaticly reset), didn't see any other melted wires, but didn't pull apart the headlight or right side switch yet to check starter button wires. Will try those options this week. Sure would be nice if it is something SIMPLE and EASY TO GET TO. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 10-03-2006, 10:19 AM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Burned wire

There should be an ignition circuit breaker, check it. Also you might have damaged the starter relay for some reason. There are other possibilities but those are the simple and cheap ones. Try them first.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:38 PM
JeansXLH
3rd Gear

Update...pulled the right side switch apart. Everything looks O.K. and checks out. Tested the 3 circuit breakers under the seat, all test O.K. with continuity tester. I pulled the starter relay and was just about to test it when called away for work. Sure hope it's this relay, cuz if it isn't, I don't know where to look. thanks

Old 10-04-2006, 12:41 AM
springer_
Road Captain

If it's not the relay ... I can tell you what to look for next. Let me know how it turns out.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:11 PM
JeansXLH
3rd Gear

Well, I tested the starter relay and although it worked, it didn't work every time, so I replaced it. Trouble is, it still didn't cure the problem. So far I know the starter relay is good, solenoid is good and circuit breakers test good. Playing with everything, I did find something that I don't think is right. If I use my ohm meter and check any circuit breaker connection, I show a complete circuit to ground. That just doesn't seem right. It would be a lot easier if there was a melted wire or something. I'm really beginning to lose patience here. I'm missing something and I think it might have something to do with the RUN/OFF switch, but I can't find the problem. Sign me "STUMPED" thanks

Old 10-05-2006, 08:23 PM
springer_
Road Captain

If you want to send me a PM with a phone number and time to call, I will try to give you a call. It is too extensive to try to type how to troubleshoot this problem.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:21 PM
JeansXLH
3rd Gear

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to help - I will be in touch.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:53 PM
JeansXLH
3rd Gear

FOUND IT !!! The starter button wire that runs from the headlight thru the main harness to the starter relay was bad. It was green corroded copper that had broken and would make contact occassionally when I moved the harness. I fished a new wire thru the harness and now it works great.
I want to thank everyone, especially Springer for all the help. - Thanks

Old 10-10-2006, 01:38 PM
springer_
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: JeansXLH

FOUND IT !!! .......
Good to hear!!!!