Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Just did oil change, now Sportster won't start or turnover

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Just did oil change, now Sportster won't start or turnover

So my Sportster is old (1988) and it's always been a PITA to start even with it on the battery tender. In short, it never turns over on the first start......it takes multiple attempts to get it running and adjusting the choke.

So today I changed the oil. Well long story short after I changed the oil, I wiped down the chassis (entire HD underside) since it's notorious for leaking oil all over the underside and tried to give it a start. Well it started but it wouldn't stay running without holding the throttle above 1000 rpms. Threw it back on the battery tender since it's been off for about a week now to see if maybe the battery was just weak. Put a multimeter to the battery and it reads 13.18 volts.......so the battery isn't it? Pushed the start button with the multimeter attached to the battery, no drop in voltage, I have no idea what's going on?

Well about 30 mins later I went back out to see if I could keep it running and now it won't even turnover, not click, no nothing..........all the electrical works, turning signals, brakes, neutral, oil light.....etc.

Any thoughts?

So the first question is:

Why wouldn't the Sportster stay running after the oil change without the throttle being held at 1000 rpms.Could the starter have just taken a **** all the sudden?

Second question is:

Why won't the Sportster turn over?

Last edited by Harley_Charley; 03-20-2011 at 09:45 PM.