Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuel gauge elimination after Speed/Tach combo install

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:22 PM
rocketmsh
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel gauge elimination after Speed/Tach combo install

New to the forum and first time posting. I recently purchased and installed the Speed/Tach Combination gauge with spun alum face(74774-11) on my 2010 FXDF. The new speedo has a digital fuel gauge built in it and I would like to remove my OEM tank fuel gauge and put in a pop up cover that mathces my tank. When I unplugged the connector to remove the gauge I lost the digital readout on the new speedo. I take it the signal may be input to the Bike computer module from this connection and then back to the new speedo form there. My question is, Does anyone have information to complete the removal and reconnect original wires so that the feedback stays and the new combo displays the proper level of fuel?

Old 06-07-2011, 03:02 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

my understanding is it can't be done because the digital readout actually gets it's "resistive" signal from the stock fuel guage.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Youngneg
Tourer

Hey, Rocket....did ya ever figure out your problem.......i`m having the samething going on..... i`m losing my signal on both.....i have the flush mount caps and the new speedo.....i have a 2011 ....wired different....i guess im losing the signal from the flush mounts?

Old 08-23-2011, 06:53 AM
rocketmsh
Stage IV

After I installed my Flush Mount Caps, I got the fuel gauge signal back on the new speedometer tach combo. The flush mount gauge is also active, and somewhat in sync with the combo gauge. I would like to have just blacked it out with a custom install of a second gas cap as a filler but the wiring connection is required back to the gauge because of resistance or the correct voltage drop or something. Anyhow, I can't answer your question with any how to information, sorry. Good Luck.