Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Only Running on Rear Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:32 AM
ChucklesLOD
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only Running on Rear Cylinder

Hey guys & gals, first technical post for me. I've got a 1995 FXDL Dyna Lowrider with roughly 55,000 miles & mostly stock with the exception of a mild cam (unsure of what brand, previous owner installed). Yesterday, I set out to Jerome from my home in Flagstaff which is right around 75 miles & had no problems what-so-ever, the bike ran great. I stopped for lunch & afterwards went to start my bike & it was only running on one cylinder. I'd rev it past 1,000 RPMS & then both cylinders would kick in. For the next 10 miles to Cottonwood the speedometer wasn't working (coincidence?) & ran on both cylinders as long as it was above 1,000 RPMs but would only run on one cylinder if I tried to pass someone with considerable amount of throttle. I stopped for gas at the Shell station & put 91 octane in, I always run 91 octane Shell or Chevron. Once I got back on the road, for the next 20 miles the speedometer worked (weird?) & the engine still ran on one cylinder if it was under 1,000 RPMs & ran on one cylinder if I tried to pass someone with considerable amount of throttle but if I passed someone slow & steady it would run on both cylinders. About 5 miles outside of Sedona, the bike would only run on one cylinder no matter what I did & I finally gave up. As I waited for the tow truck, I took the front plug wire off & the bike seemed to run better. I then held the plug wire against the side of the cylinder jug & discovered I wasn't getting any spark from that particular wire but the rear plug wire was getting spark. My first thought is an ignition coil, do you gals & gals have any suggestions? I greatly appreciate any & all help, thanks!

Old 11-21-2011, 12:17 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

The simplest thing to do first is change out the front plug. Make sure your plug and coil connections are good.
This will help you to check the coil: http://www.ehow.com/how_6516657_test...tion-coil.html

Old 11-21-2011, 08:21 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does it have a nose cone ignition? Those are **** to drop the rear cylinder when they are going bad. The heat in that area will reduce the life of the ignition.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:17 AM
ChucklesLOD
Stage IV

Nevil:
So far I have replaced the plugs but with no luck. I purchased 2 new plugs from my local Harley-Davidson dealership (piece of mind) & upon intial start-up last night it ran on both cylinders, but this morning when I went to leave for work it was only running on the rear cylinder again. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to test the coil yet, hopefully on my lunch break today I will be able to.

Ajayrk:
I don't believe that it does, for the most part the bike is completely stock. The rear cylinder is working, it's the front cylinder that dropped.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Check or replace that plug wire first, it could be broken down, then look at the coil.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:19 PM
ChucklesLOD
Stage IV

Well I finally got it figured out... turns out the ignition coil cover was rubbing on the ignition wire & wore through the boot. I took the cover off & it runs on both cylinders. Thanks everyone for your help, I greatly appreciate it.