Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

pc3 or hd race tuner

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 03:16 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: pc3 or hd race tuner

Probably, but it would be more of a drivability improvement than a huge boost in power provided you had it dyno-tuned by a master to acheive that "perfect" tune.
ORIGINAL: CiSmAXz

If I have the Stage II harley kit (jugs, pistons, cams, exhaust) and they flashed my ecm to stage II would I benefit from a PCI III or SERT if all of my upgrades have been street legal harley parts? This is the 103" kit for an '07 SG

Old 12-10-2006, 10:11 PM
clueless
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with a PCIII because:

1. I like the easy software interface. Plug into my laptop usb port start the bike and BAM instantly online! You can goto their website and download the software right now for free http://www.powercommander.com/suppsoft.shtml to view the interface. download any of the MAPS http://www.powercommander.com/buynowbike.shtml#Harley and play around with viewing the fuel maps and comparing maps for FREE. Here is the link for the 2001 to 2006 softail EFI maps: http://www.powercommander.com/805pciii.aspx
2. Easily available canned maps online from DynoJet. Plus they allow USER posted maps as well. I can not find anywhere on Harley Davidson website that even list the SERT or an Official HD website that has a place for downloading the latest map files for the SERT.
3. I was with one check box able to extend my RPMs vs having to have the dealer do a flash
4. I was able to add 2% on start-up for 120 revs (setable variables) but it makes startup easy. Do not NEED to do this but its makes the startup easier.
5. They had a canned map for the setup I want to do (V&H Big Radius and High Flow Air Filter). yes it will not be 100% optimized but it will be 90% optimized and just takes 25 seconds to pop into the PCIII thru my laptop.
6. Something about having the SERT perminantly tied to only ONE ECM that bothers me, I know its to stop users from buying one unit and programming away to multiple ECMs but maybe they can somehow offer a way when you buy a new bike to change to that ECM serial number?

The big reason for the SERT is that you dont have to screw around with mounting the unit. It has more tuning functions maybe then the PCIII but heck your splitting hairs when comparing to just 5 years ago with Carbs and Jets. That was crude tuning at best. now we are a point where we can fine tune a scapel (PCIII) vs a laser (SERT) cutting device.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

OK,,,i have read every post on the subject and just let me throw my "MONKEY WRENCH" question into the mix.

I have a 06 Softail Standard, SE High flow AC Kit, Rush Baloney cut Mufflers w/2" baffels. HD Stage One D/L 1450

The bike runs LEAN.....and POPS like crazy on DECEL, or downhill.
Now...I live in California--EPA JUNK capitol of the world! MY HD dealer WILL NOT INSTALL , ORDER...DYNO a SERT for me for fear of Fines. What find an independant to do it? Harley won't give them the access to a Download right?
So my choices are?
PCIII......yes/no?

And if I do install a PCIII will it void my warranty??!!

Ride Safe,

Old 12-13-2006, 12:10 AM
christian0632
Tourer

The dealer is ultimately the one to say whether they are going to void the warranty because you install a PCIII. If your dealer is cool, they will accept it and service the bike. If they are fearful of the moco forfeiting reimbursment for warranty work or leary of the EPA police, they will probably decline or at least be reluctant to work on the bike.

The fines these days are stiff to say the least and dealers aren't going to take the chance if they feel they will get caught.

I also don't like the idea of getting a sert and having it permanently married to my bike. The PCIII can be moved from bike to bike and if I have any trouble with it, I just unplug it and the bike returns to the stock setting.

I feel for you guys in Calif. but in the next couple of years, your laws will be everyone's laws. The question is going to be who's going to be the enforcers?

Old 12-13-2006, 11:40 AM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I will never understand someone's reasoning that an add on device like the PCIII would be better than reprogramming the original ECM, Ok, so the PCIII has about the same failure rate as the factory ECM, so by adding the PCIII you have just doubled your chances of an electrical failure in the FI system. The SERT also has a much broader range of adjustablity without the extra wiring and potential for failure of a PCIII. The SERT takes longer to tune, so what, you spend a little more time to get a more precise tune, Ill take that tradeoff every time. Even if you are paying someone to tune for you you are still only looking at a relatively small amount of money when put into the whole equation of the cost of the bike and mods. The SERT also had data mode and the ability to deal with CEL codes. In my opinion, the SERT is the Cadillac and the PCIII is the Chevette of the tuning devices, they both get you there, but come on, do you really want a chevette? And for those that think the PCIII does nothing to your stock ECM, ask Shovelhead Bob what he has to say about that, he has posted that it is far from the truth.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:08 PM
RjCapp
Road Master

PCIII
unless you enjoy the Dealership attitudes, waiting for service, paying too much for labor, etc........

Old 12-14-2006, 08:22 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote from airfuel, "My advice is get the unit that you can have tuned on a dyno by someone who knows either unit."

This is the best advice yet, he gets my "beacon of reality award". I would rather have my bike tuned with a poor system and a great tuner then with the great system and a poor tuner. Every system has their own capabilities, limitations, quirks, and issues. Find the best tuner in town and go with whatever he's comfortable with, unless you want to thru the long, painful, sometimes cosly curve of learning the capabilities, limtations, quirks and issues.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Overlappinglittlepig
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

rode my 07 ultra classic for the first time today since i installed pc111 with custom map by fuel moto. i thought about which tuning device to buy for a long time. i bought the pc 111 because i knew i would never do any internal changes to the engine. just se slip ons, k&n air cleaner and a pc 111. the custom map that came from fuel moto with the pc111 is a result of their numerous hours of dyno tuning my combination with the exact same bike. i do realize it might be a little better with a dyno tune on my bike but i felt that was close enough for me. bike really runs great and pulls hard. dealer wanted $700.00 for race tuner and se air cleaner with a dyno tune. i've had three harleys within 2 years and if i get a hair up my *** to get another new one i can take the pc111 off in 10 minutes and use it on my next bike. i believe the race tuner is an excellent product, i just felt i did not need to go that route with no future engine mods planned. believe it or not my 07 did not ping, run like crap, run hot or have any transmission noise. i thought it actually ran pretty damn well right out of the box. it runs excellent now! just my two cents worth.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:26 PM
scourge
6th Gear

The guy from Dynotunes was at a local store with their dyno setup and I talked with him about tuning my bike with the sert. He says he hates the sert because, acording to him it takes too many runs to get a reading then takes too long to make the changes and upload it to the bike. Now I figure he's just talking from an operators point of view because he can run through alot more bikes with a PC3 over a given afternoon than he could with a sert. But I feel better about having a unit that doesn't piggy back onto my bikes computer. I'd rather it program the computer then get the hell off.
The real problem forme is data logging. If I could just set thebikes computer to log data for a period of time, take it for a ride then come back and dump it into my laptop I'd be a happy camper. But for the Sert you'd have to link your bike to the sert then to your lap top, find a way to mount thewhole rig so it doesn't fall off or succumb to vibration. Even to use a palm pilot to log data would be a step up.

Maybe what I shoulddo is take a car axle, mount it to the floor, hook upthe emergency brake, back my bike on the the wheel andmake my own dyno for a load test.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:06 PM
bigjohn1percenter
Tourer

i have a brand new SERT 32107-01G factory sealed, never opened, but it doesnt come with the cables anymore, i will sell it for $340.00 and i will also pay the shipping !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: pc3 or hd race tuner