Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

At a loss with PC3!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 12:43 AM
FACTION95
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At a loss with PC3!

I've had it with this Power Commander. I've tried to fix this stuttering problem with my PC3 but at this point it seems impossible. I have tried different maps, different pipes, and even had it custom dyno tuned. And finally a different PC3 unit. Nothing has fixed the stuttering problem. I'm out $600 and have removed the PC3. I'm now just running the dealer stage 1 remap. The bike runs fine, starts right off the bat, and DOESN'T STUTTER!

So at this point I hope someone has some suggestions because I'm going to cut my losses and sell the PC3.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:54 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 852 Likes on 413 Posts
Default RE: At a loss with PC3!

Have you talked to Dynojet about the problem?

Uncle Peepers

Old 02-06-2007, 01:04 AM
FACTION95
Road Master

Yep I've talked to tech support on Friday. They tried a couple things and that didn't help at all.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:05 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Sell the darn thing and recoup some of your money. Do you really need to go faster than it goes now?

Old 02-06-2007, 01:13 AM
FACTION95
Road Master

No If I wanted to haul *** I'll just ride my 600RR. It runs great right now with just the download. I'm just worried about it running too lean.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:29 AM
dynodude
Intermediate

Could you be a little more specific about your problem; what rpm's,acceleration or steady cruising? What pipes are you running, are they baffled? Also, what type of dyno tuning was it, did the "tuner" use load control, or did they just upload a map, do some inertia runs, and call it dyno tuned. If ya want help, we need some info.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:09 PM
FACTION95
Road Master

Ok sorry about the lack of information.

The stuttering or pause in acceleration happens from idle. If I roll on the throttle or blip it from idle it will stutter. It also happens when taking off from a dead stop. It will rev up a bit, pause, then continue to rev.
I'm running V&H BSS with the standard baffles. This also happened when I was running Rush slip-ons. I also have the SE air filter kit and the Stage I download installed. I also have had the torque smoothing callibration done.
I had my bike dyno'd at a place called California Rider on a "Dynajet 250i" Dynamometer. I think he started with the map that I had in there which was the canned map from the Power commander site. He tweaked the map from there. I asked him about the stuttering problem which was still there after the dyno and he didn't have an answer for me. He said that he had never seen that problem before.
I then thought it was something wrong with my PC3. So I sent the unit back to Fuel Moto and then got a new unit in the mail. I installed the new unit and once again the stuttering problem returned.
So I think the problem is my bike doesn't like the PC3. Its a little fustrating because I'm now $600 in the hole and back where I started from before I experienced this whole PC3 issue. I spoke with someone from Power Commander and after asking me a few questions he just said " I don't know".

So I'm not sure at this point what my options are.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Redneck
Road Captain

I'm no expert on this issue but maybe there is a problem with the Stage 1 download you had installed. Most guys I know change the pipes with a stage 1 air cleaner and use the orignal download then add the PCIII with the custom maps. Thats all I did on mine and have never had any problems, after running it awhile I had a dyno done to acheive the max out of the PCIII. Good luck finding out the problem.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:48 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having this same problem see this thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1235534/tm.htm

I did not do a stage 1 download but did do the ECM recall. I have been to two different tuners and neither could figure it out. I have called DynoJet and received a similar result where they could not figure out the answer. My buddy has the exact same setup as mine and has the same problem.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:07 PM
dynodude
Intermediate

Do you know if your "tuner" turned on the accelerator pump utility? Is there any black smoke at all when you blip the throttle at idle? Cause could be to rich or to lean, hard to say w/o seeing charts. Mainly, though, I would say your "tuner" is the problem. If you already paid for the service, then he should be able to diagnose andcorrect the problem. Doubtful that you would get 2 faulty PC's. As far as your bike not liking the PC goes, you should have a serious talk with the bike and explain that there will be no treats if it does'nt play nice with your PC.

Quick Reply: At a loss with PC3!