Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Spitting out Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Ultra Rich
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Spitting out Fuel

This is my first post, so please be gentle. Hopefully it's in the right place?

I have an 03 Ultra Classic which I have known from it's infancy, but owned only recently. So I'm still getting a feel for all the behaviors of the bike.

Recently I went for a ride and after 2 hours of highway travel we stopped to fuel up. I did fill it to the neck while it stood up right, which might be a problem. Needless to say, we parked the bikes and went in to defuel. When we came out, I turned the bike on to change out a CD (yes I still listen to CD's my ipod was dead). As we were gearing back up, my buddy noticed the bike was leaking at the left rear of the engine. Since I had just changed the oil, I assumed it was oil since it was dark. After further inspection, I realized it was gas and just cleaning the skid bar under the oil pan (I'm assuming that is what it is). Then I realized the bike was still on, (not running) so I thought possibly the fuel pump was pumping and coming out and over flow. So I fired up the bike and it started right away, then the furry started! It started spitting out fuel like it was coming from a fire hose for about 10 seconds. Then it just stopped! I let it idle for a while and there was no additional sign of leaking?

After that we took it slow through town and stopped to check things out. No additional signs of leaking. Then we rode home the 115 miles and never a problem.

I realize if it's not broke don't fix it, but I'm curious what would cause this and do I need to get it looked at, or should I just thank my stars and keep smiling? I know it has a number of performance upgrades including a tuner, but I'm not sure which brand on the tuner? Could that be a problem?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:59 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

The fuel was gushing out the overflow?

Old 06-03-2013, 05:04 PM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Cold fuel into a tank above a hot engine and you filled it to the top.
So as the fuel got heat from the engine it slowly expanded and having nowhere to go it's only release is the overflow tube that runs out down behind the tranny.
You should see the mess that happens when the overflow tube is kinked and can't get out that way.............NO SMOKING lol