Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Rush pipes, loss tq., SERT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 10:52 PM
raym
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rush pipes, loss tq., SERT?

I have an '05' Road King Custom with 5000 miles on it. I purchased the bike with 2000 miles and it already had a screaming eagle air filter and screaming eagle pipes (a basic Stage I). I have no idea if it had been re-mapped in the process but I have kept a close watch on the plugs. They are good, maybe a tad on the lean side if not perfect.

I didn't like the sound of the pipes so I just purchased a set of Rush, 2" baffled slip on's from the HD stealer. The sound is about what I'm looking for but the problem is I've lost a noticable amount of torque. Especially when I'm running about 60 mph and need to give it some throttle to merge onto the freeway. Even if I downshift to 4th, I have no power.

My question is the obvious. Can I purchase a SERT and get back to the original power level and if so, do I need to have the SERT installed and also dyno tuned? Or can I get the proper mapping procedures(from my good friends on this incredible website)and do the install myself?

My HD stealer is highly promoting the SERT with a 4 hour dyno tuning install for $820 and this sounds a little excessive to me.

Any help and suggestions are appreciated. I know very little about the EFI system.

Thanks,

Ray

Old 02-27-2007, 12:11 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rush pipes, loss tq., SERT?

to remap the ECU, you have to have the SERT to do it. Once you get it, you can choose from some of the canned maps, borrow one from some of the great people on this forum. I loaded a canned map which came closest with the HD part listings on the canned maps, to the actual aftermarket parts i had on the bike. I was still running a bit lean. I probably could have played with the settings in the SERT and adjusted the map. I chose to have it dyno'd and they built a custom map.

Again, you need the SERT, to install or adjust the ECU via a modified map.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12616/A0BD6447FD0C4035A13A91D65596B5BC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12616/3303A9EEB28A4E5E91D9CF0814DC6FAA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-27-2007, 09:23 AM
raym
Advanced

With the SERT and dyno tuning, can they get the performance level back to where it was before changing the pipes? I have a clear understanding of torque, speed and HP and I just don't see how they can get this performance level back by doing this but the HD dealer says he can.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Dsanchez
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: raym

I have an '05' Road King Custom with 5000 miles on it. I purchased the bike with 2000 miles and it already had a screaming eagle air filter and screaming eagle pipes (a basic Stage I). I have no idea if it had been re-mapped in the process but I have kept a close watch on the plugs. They are good, maybe a tad on the lean side if not perfect.

I didn't like the sound of the pipes so I just purchased a set of Rush, 2" baffled slip on's from the HD stealer. The sound is about what I'm looking for but the problem is I've lost a noticable amount of torque. Especially when I'm running about 60 mph and need to give it some throttle to merge onto the freeway. Even if I downshift to 4th, I have no power.

My question is the obvious. Can I purchase a SERT and get back to the original power level and if so, do I need to have the SERT installed and also dyno tuned? Or can I get the proper mapping procedures(from my good friends on this incredible website)and do the install myself?

My HD stealer is highly promoting the SERT with a 4 hour dyno tuning install for $820 and this sounds a little excessive to me.

Any help and suggestions are appreciated. I know very little about the EFI system.

Thanks,

Ray

The simplest way to look at the internal combustion engine and understand what is done to increase performance is to see it as an air pump. The more air it is capable of pumping at any given time, the more power it will make (expressed as Volumetric Efficiency or VE). To get the most energy out of that air relies on accurate metering of fuel to that air (expressed as stichomythic, an AFR of 14.7:1 is the theoretical ratio that results in the greatest release of available energy in gasoline). Real world inefficiencies result in an air/fuel ratio (AFR) of 12.8:1 to 13.3:1, for best power and 14.5:1, for best mileage.
The VE, AFR and tuning requirements constantly vary as determined by the mechanical and dynamic properties of the motor. The main mechanical parts are typically engine size (volume), compression ratio/cylinder pressure (static, corrected and dynamic), cam timing/lift, port/valve flow capacity (cfm, including the induction system), exhaust and NOS/super/turbo charging.
The exhaust system is the largest, single, variable influence on how the motor processes air, the shape of the VE graph and tuning requirements. The dynamic parts are typically RPM, throttle position and load (including wind, tire pressure, terrain, gearing and luggage).
Ignition requirements are dictated by engine design properties such as exhaust (how much heat is retained), cam profiles, piston/combustion chamber shape, piston/head clearance (quench/squish), cylinder pressures, rpm limits, fuel quality and intended use.
On carbureted motorcycles to adjust air/fuel ratios we use Dynojet recalibration kits. To install we remove the carburetors to gain access to and replace pilot jets, main jets, emulsion tubes, needles and make float height adjustments.
This procedure can require removing and replacing the carburetors many times until the correct ratios are accomplished. A dyno tune is the most efficient and accurate method.
Fuel Injected Motorcycles have throttle bodies and fuel injectors driven by the ECU (engine control unit) and its programming or calibration. Input from a variety on sensors allows more accurate control as engine demands change and offsets to account for environment changes.

Race tuner
[size=1]The Screaming Eagle Race Tuner allows direct access to the ECU programs and their modification. We are, in affect, creating custom calibrations for specific combinations (just like H-D re flash cartridges). The Race Tuner does, however include many SE calibrations in the map files to select from. These

Old 02-28-2007, 10:59 PM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: raym

Thanks,

Ray

Sounds like a classic situation created by the pipes, which probably are designed to add hp and torque at high rpms. Your SE's, although the sound may not suit you, are better tuned for low-end torque. In order to make use of of the Rushes you simplyneed to modify your riding style by winding the motor up to higher rpms throughout the acceleration cycle and do more downshifting at lower speeds.Look at it this way. IF the Rush mufflers are most efficient at increasing power at rpms over 4,000 then you'll need to cruise at about 80 mph or more in 5th gear before you feel the power kick in.If you're crusiing at 60, you need to drop down to 3rd to hitthe power band.

I'm totally ignorant of the SERT and all that stuff, but I would be very skeptical that you can overcome pipe design characteristics by fiddling with the mixture. It's hard to fight the laws of nature. I would think the dealer would be hard pressed to satisfy me in this case with a cost of more than $800 on top of the money I already paid for the mufflers.If I loved the mufflers I would just downshift and wind her out more.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:19 PM
Gigamark
Advanced

Get the sert and dyno.... you'll end up with more tq & hp than before. You'll be able to "fine tune" your bike and rest assure that everything is set properly. Thus increasing the life of the motor while being able to enjoy the sound and power. Just ask Geargrinder... he's a tuner!