Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Acceleration enrichment and spark knock

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 06:33 AM
uwiik
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Acceleration enrichment and spark knock

Hi all,
After 8 auto tune sessions I managed to get my VE correction within 1-2%, set cruise and idle AFR to 13.0-13.2 running full open loop (I ride in 100F+ and gridlock traffic a lot), added 4* globally to spark advance table, then run log tuner to spot the knock events and retard where necessary, after 4 log tuner sessions I cannot ping the bike even when I want to ping it and still having very aggressive advance table. When CHT gets really hot at 280F plus, I still get very very slight ping with datalog indicating 1-1.5* knock retard, never more..I was very very happy and content, my engine was super responsive and powerful, except that off course my milleage suck at 30MPG in the gridlock city traffic to 32-33MPG out of town and still get really hot sometimes reaching 320F on the worst day....

Then I DIY'ed a cooling fan from 5.2" Spal Fan, the thing does wonder at dropping my CHT, now I get max CHT @ 265F on the hottest day and worst jam, averaging 235-250F normally with fan on. After succesfully dropping my CHT, I wanted to get better fuel economy by re arranging my AFR table by setting idle and cruise between 13.4-13.6, off course still running full open loop for the entire table, happy with the result MPG jumped to 33-34MPG in the gridlock city traffic and 35-38MPG out of town with little to no traffic, engine still responding very very nice with CHT maxing out at 265F on the worst day. THE PROBLEM is, now I do get ping when accelerating suddenly on low gear/cracking throttle at low rpm/speed with 1.5-4* max being pulled out by the anti knock system. Nothing major, just very very slight very short audible ping.

I know on 103" engine that no matter how well tuned your engine is, you cannot get rid of ping completely without ending up with very weak spark advance table and leaving a lot of power and efficiency on the table. Even Jamie Fuel Moto stated the same thing...I can live with minor ping for good advance table but I would like to get my auto knock retard at 2* max, no more than that....

The BIG question is....Should I re tune my advance table by doing another log tuner and adjust advance slightly where it retarding more than 2* OR play arround with my acceleration enrichment???

I only get more than 2* retard when accelerating from low speed/standstill or under high load (accelerating on high gear low speed), other than that no ping at all or 0.5-1* max retard. Does adding a bit more fuel when accelerating by playing around with acceleration enrichment would help with my ping without weakening the advance table???

Advice needed and thank you very much in advance folks!!

Last edited by uwiik; 10-13-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:45 PM
uwiik
Tourer

Anybody?

Old 10-14-2013, 07:52 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

It can't hurt to do another log to see what all is going on. Your going to find that your knock events are going to be in one area of your ignition tables, so you won't have to retard the whole table globabaly, just a small area of it. IMO you are still running to rich in cruising, I would bump the AFR tables up more yet.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:37 AM
uwiik
Tourer

Originally Posted by harleytuner
It can't hurt to do another log to see what all is going on. Your going to find that your knock events are going to be in one area of your ignition tables, so you won't have to retard the whole table globabaly, just a small area of it. IMO you are still running to rich in cruising, I would bump the AFR tables up more yet.
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated....
I actually did another log tune, my 5th log tune already, seems now all the spark knocks are under control, my knock count on PV only showed 2 max F&R.
I run a fairly aggresive advance table by adding 4* to the whole table before my first log tune then did 5 log tunes altogether.....

Oh yeah, now comes another problem, I decided to try closed loop on idle and cruise....OH BOY!! The thing really came alive!! I am hooked to closed loop! I never thought I can run closed loop in my riding environment before I DIY'ed a 5.2" Spal Fan. With help of the fan, my CHT never reach above 260F averaging 235-250F in any traffic or weather condition now, this is weird but I think my engine is actually runs cooler now after running closed loop+fan compared to when I was running rich+fan..My MPG also went up to 40-41MPG if I ride not too aggressively and traffic not too jammed..

The problem now is, off course I get more knock retard, my knock count on PV indicated max knock retard 2* Front and 5* Rear, my on the fly observation to the PV screen indicated the knock only happen on high load (cracking throttle quickly during slow speed cruise or slow speed high gear), nowhere else..... Since it only happen when cracking throttle i added 0.04 to acceleration enrichment, no help, so dialed it back to where it originally was.....what to do now? Should I log tune again and dial back rear cylinder spark advance on affected cell, I worry about ending up with weak advance table....Somebody suggested playing with VE on affected cell, but I don't think so, knock only happen when on sudden acceleration I don't think adding VE will help....oh yeah, I never substract advance on the whole table, I log tune and dial back what the log tune tell me to dial back...

What to do what to do??

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by uwiik; 10-15-2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:56 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by uwiik
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated....
I actually did another log tune, my 5th log tune already, seems now all the spark knocks are under control, my knock count on PV only showed 2 max F&R.
I run a fairly aggresive advance table by adding 4* to the whole table before my first log tune then did 5 log tunes altogether.....

Oh yeah, now comes another problem, I decided to try closed loop on idle and cruise....OH BOY!! The thing really came alive!! I am hooked to closed loop! I never thought I can run closed loop in my riding environment before I DIY'ed a 5.2" Spal Fan. With help of the fan, my CHT never reach above 260F averaging 235-250F in any traffic or weather condition now, this is weird but I think my engine is actually runs cooler now after running closed loop+fan compared to when I was running rich+fan..My MPG also went up to 40-41MPG if I ride not too aggressively and traffic not too jammed..

The problem now is, off course I get more knock retard, my knock count on PV indicated max knock retard 2* Front and 5* Rear, my on the fly observation to the PV screen indicated the knock only happen on high load (cracking throttle quickly during slow speed cruise or slow speed high gear), nowhere else..... Since it only happen when cracking throttle i added 0.04 to acceleration enrichment, no help, so dialed it back to where it originally was.....what to do now? Should I log tune again and dial back rear cylinder spark advance on affected cell, I worry about ending up with weak advance table....Somebody suggested playing with VE on affected cell, but I don't think so, knock only happen when on sudden acceleration I don't think adding VE will help....oh yeah, I never substract advance on the whole table, I log tune and dial back what the log tune tell me to dial back...

What to do what to do??

Thanks in advance!

You are getting your knock counts in the high load, low RPM range of your MAP. (top right cells of your Spark tables). You can either select a group of cells, say in the 60 and above KPA and from 1250 to 1750 RPM's) and drop them all a couple degrees or you can do another log. I'd just drop them all a few degrees and go for a ride to see if it went away.