Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thundermax ECM Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 02:56 PM
dafrisco
Tourer

Received 161 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Tmax install question

I just received my Tmax for my 2007 EGC. The oxygen sensors and throttle body are stock. A/C is SE set up and thunder max 2 into 1 with ghost pipe. I have no idea if anything inside of the motor was upgraded, so here is my question: should I wait to install the kit untill my local indy checks the cam tensioner's or just install and ride.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:05 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,255 Likes on 3,627 Posts

What a thunder max 2 into 1? How does it run currently?

Old 04-02-2017, 03:35 PM
dafrisco
Tourer

runs great so far. I have pictures of my 2 into 1 exhaust in my album.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:34 PM
dafrisco
Tourer

Default Tmax installed - suggestion

Installed the tmax last night, found the map and ran the bike for awhile. Two things I will mention as suggested by a previous member.

1) put the battery on a charger while doing this install cause with the switches on, it sure drains the battery where it wont start.

2) Put a box fan close by and turn it on, it wont take long for the head temp to get to 230 and up to 300.

Now if it would quit raining I can take it out for some riding.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:45 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

I agree with the folks who say that to get every last hp or bit of torque out of your bike a "good" dyno tune is the way to go. Having said that my bike runs so good that I have never felt the need to dish out $300 to $500 for a trip to the dyno. Also never forget that any dyno tune is only as good the tuner performing it. A good tuner can make your bike run like a top (do tops really run good?), but a bad tuner or one in a hurry will just be a waste of your money.

I did spend $10 for hp run on a dyno once though. 94 hp and 106 tq do me just fine.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:52 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by dafrisco
Installed the tmax last night, found the map and ran the bike for awhile. Two things I will mention as suggested by a previous member.

1) put the battery on a charger while doing this install cause with the switches on, it sure drains the battery where it wont start.

2) Put a box fan close by and turn it on, it wont take long for the head temp to get to 230 and up to 300.

Yep #1 needs to be tattooed on the owner of every TM.

Another great idea is that if you live somewhere where there is a riding season always, always read a copy of your current tune before you put the bike up for winter.

Also if you calibrate your speedo without a pc every time you disconnect the battery you will lose your cal. Doing it on you PC within the program works forever.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:04 AM
dafrisco
Tourer

Thanks PFWiz for that info. I am just learning about the TMAX and I did the calibration with the PC. There is a lot of items on the screen to watch what was going on.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:22 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

I don't know why you are running the bike to temps near 300. Every operation I've done that requires the bike to idle up to running temp the directions say to stop at 275 degrees.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:45 AM
dafrisco
Tourer

I was watching the screen when it hit 275 and was checking something else and in a few min it hit 300, then I turned the bike off. Does not take long to go 25 degrees either.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:57 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,255 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Originally Posted by dafrisco

If you are going to leave the ignition on for any period of time, for sure use a charger. A real one not trickle.. One capable of 10 amps or more.. After agreeing tho, if you are running the battery dead after a few minute of leaving the ignition on, you should probably replace the battery.

If you planing running the bike on the on the side stand for any period of time a fan is good but I'm not sure why you need to do it with a Tmax.. Doing a side stand run or IAC calibration, you simply run up to the ending temp and shut the motor off. Adding a fan simply makes the process take longer.. If you are trying to trouble shoot some issue by running the motor, use a fan.

Quick Reply: Thundermax ECM Thread