Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thundermax ECM Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 07:50 PM
dafrisco
Tourer

Received 161 Likes on 97 Posts

Joelger,
You have some research ahead of you. First thing is to go to Thundermax web site and see about downloading the program for your bike to your computer. If you have the right USB cable just run it to your Thundermax ECM and follow the direction. Also check the videos on their website so you can understand more about how to set up the ECM with the right selections.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:01 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,253 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Originally Posted by Joelger
Just wondering if anyone has an answer? I have a 2013 Street Bob with a thundermax, V@H short shots, and a SC heavy breather intake.
I keep getting p1655 error code which is the O2 sensor from what I've been reading Harley told me it's going to be like that due to it being a Street Bob it's my first Dyna just looking for some information if that is the case for the dyna's.

Thanks!
Tmax uses different sensors then stock HD.. Get a USB cable and connect to the tmax.. You can download SW from thunder-heart and read out the actual failure. I usually start by unplugging and re-plugging the sensor connectors to see if the error goes away, if not replace the sensor.. You can pick up the sensor at the local auto-parts store. It's a STD Bosch 17014 sensor.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:10 PM
o0smitters0o
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thunder-Heart Program

Once you download the program you can print the operating manual. Also on the website there are links to common fixes for different problems. First save the tune so you will always can go back. All of this is in the digital manual. If all else fails you can send the ECM information to ThunderMax. It really is easy to use. Under my 08 Dyna is a coiled up USB. I just plug it into a PC Laptop I bought just for the program.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:05 PM
Joelger
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone I plan on downloading tomorrow called Harley to see about an O2 sensor they said it wouldn't help so I'm going to start with the tuning software hoping I have the cord just traded up for the bike yesterday so not sure why Harley is unwilling to help me out???? O well I got you guys thanks again for all the advice.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:49 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Joelger
.... so not sure why Harley is unwilling to help me out????
Because you didn't buy an HD tuner, and pay 3x what the part is worth... and they don't get trained on 'other' tuners... so they probably don't know.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:57 AM
BbyDgital
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by archergodwin
Because you didn't buy an HD tuner, and pay 3x what the part is worth... and they don't get trained on 'other' tuners... so they probably don't know.
This. Furthermore, I suggest you find an indie near you that knows how to install/program the Thunder-Max and has experience doing so. You can even go to the T-max website and find the closest premier dealer near you as well.

If you were in VA/MD area, I would recommend my indie that I use. He knows the T-max inside and out.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:19 AM
Trevor Y
5th Gear

Go straight to Thundermax for tech support, you are not using the stock narrow band sensors, but instead using the wideband sensors that Thundermax provided.
Your Harley guy must not understand you have a Thundermax.
Done
Trev

Old 07-20-2017, 03:11 PM
o0smitters0o
Cruiser
Default Thunder Max

They probably know and aren't allowed by HD. The fact is you no longer have a HD ECM. ThunderMax far exceeds HD ECM capabilities. It tunes it's self and there are a lot of things it can do. It may seem over whelming at first but once you get it hooked to computer one function is it will show you what exactly the code is. Taking it to a ThunderMax certified Indy Shop would be worth your money and time. They would probably even enlighten you on the ins and outs and set you up. But with a little reading, some videos and if you have any mechanical skill you will find you could probably save some money. If your looking to get on the road as soon as possible go to Indy from there at least they will get you on track and fix any problems.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:20 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

did they update or fix this I had my heart set on it, as I read it CONSTANTLY ADJUST the tune to the weather/elevation/etc...than I read of all these problems with backfiring problems, all sorts of bad things, than once again I saw the thundermax in a WAVE version? maybe the earlier, anyhow, how do you guys honestly like em, I HATE THE FP3 wanna throw it down the toilet, I don't think it does a damm thing? lol.....

Old 08-04-2017, 09:48 AM
Trevor Y
5th Gear

Tommyblazin, I have a couple year old version, maybe 3 year old on my 2008 Ultra Classic CVO Screaming Eagle.
Love it!
When you first install in and load the base map and everything is set up, well that first ride, you will get some backfiring for the first 10 miles maybe until it heats up to 200 deg F and starts learning and adjusting. From there on in, your good to go.
If the backfire continues, you can use your laptop and adjust one setting from 0 to 1 and this takes care of your problems.
You won't be disappointed. The tech support is great.
When i got mine, I watched the videos, I called support and he told me which map to use with my cam and duals and head work and intake and mufflers.
She runs nice and smooth.
I am a guy that likes to play around with setting and tweak so I'm kind of use to the lap top and the program, but you can learn just like I did, the instructions are very easy to follow.
Note the wide band sensors are the larger diameter sensors and if you might have to change out the bungs on your headers, read about that or ask tech support before you buy so you know what you might have to do.
Trev

The following users liked this post:
TOMMYBLAZIN (09-09-2017)

Quick Reply: Thundermax ECM Thread