Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fully Charged Battery..no ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 07:21 AM
Timax55
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fully Charged Battery..no ignition?

Hi Guys, my name is Tim and I am new to the HD forums..I hope that you can help me solve my problem.
I have a 2000 Road king Classic with a 4 month old HD Sealed Gel battery.
Unfortunately i haven't trickled the battery for the past four months and when i went to start the bike there was nothing there not even engine light on the speedo. I gave the battery a full 24 hr charge on optimate 4 charger and the battery showed as fully charged, i ran a multimeter test and it says the battery is holding a charge of 12.5 Volts. I reattached the battery and the engine light and Neutral light came on. I selected the start switch but the noise that you normally get when you press the start switch didn't happen. I pressed the run button but it gave a very feeble rat tat tat sound. Does this sound like an undercharged battery or something electrical/mechanical?

Many Thanks for your help

Tim

Old 08-25-2014, 11:57 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

Sounds like a weak battery, but that can also be that your battery and ground cables are not clean and tight. After that, I would look at the fuses and relays to make sure the tabs aren't corroded. Could be the starter relay which is cheap and easy to replace. Then I would check the ignition switch, and so on, but start with the simple things first.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:46 AM
Timax55
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
Sounds like a weak battery, but that can also be that your battery and ground cables are not clean and tight. After that, I would look at the fuses and relays to make sure the tabs aren't corroded. Could be the starter relay which is cheap and easy to replace. Then I would check the ignition switch, and so on, but start with the simple things first.
Thanks Nevil, will do just as you say