In Memory Of... Post a thread in memorial of a loved one. Pictures and thoughts are welcome.

Dave Manthey "The Munch Man"

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Gilly
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dave Manthey "The Munch Man"

Here is an article about one of my best friends, Dave Manthey in Portage WI. He had a great collection of odd bikes and cars. He was a regular at "The Slimey Crud Run", mostly with his beloved Munch Mammoth #201, but you never knew what he'd be there with. Dave passed on March 1st cleaning out the chimney of his warehouse. Has a sudden heart attack. Here is the article:
Seeking wheels in heaven by Blanche Murtagh
Has David Manthey found the answer to that question? It has been said that there is no beer or sex in that hallowed place. Are there any motorcycles?
Those who knew Dave, who died last Saturday at age 57, grieve that he should leave the place of earthly existence while in the midst of a very ordinary project, that of shoveling snow off a roof. We envisioned Dave leaving us in a blaze of bright light, an ever increasing roar of motors in the background, with a smile on his ruggedly handsome face while firmly grasping the bars of his beloved Friedel Munch motorcycle. It was his version of heaven on Earth.
I do not write this remembrance as someone totally knowledgeable of Dave, but I am moved by the scope of the life he lived. He was Portage born and remained as a resident. Dave had graduated high school with my son John. I had not seen or been aware of Dave or his life since then, until he and his life partner, May Johnson, appeared at a Writers at the Portage meeting. They wanted to let us know they had written a book that was to be released soon.
The year was 2000, and the book was titled "Beyond My Wildest Dreams." Dave readily acknowledged that he had never thought of putting down on paper the story of his life until May Johnson, who he had nicknamed "Magic Johnson," showed up and said, "We're writing a book." She was the one who dotted the "i's" and created complete sentences out of his ramblings.
The introduction in the book sets the flavor of what was written, with these words: "We're going to try our hardest not to bore you with this introduction so this is not going to be one of those two-and-a-half page long introductions ... but please excuse the poor English throughout this book since I ain't hardly had no learning when I was a young one. That's because my whole life was spent in search of the ultimate wheels, instead of conforming to what was expected of me. What you are about to read is only a small part of my quest for what became my life's dream, the Munch Mammoth. (This writer's note: the Munch Mammoth is the Cadillac of motorcycles, manufactured in Germany.) Because of this obsession, I have gone way 'beyond my wildest dreams.'"
In appraisal of the book, Paul Watts, a journalist in California, writes, "... it will make your sides ache in this true story — too crazy to be fiction — that takes American humor to a whole new dimension."
The back cover has a picture of Dave and Jay Leno, with whom he had spent some days in California, connected in their love of motorcycles and cars. Dave had also traveled to many European countries.
Judy Van Schoyck-Fritscher of Portage, who had been the proofreader, writes: "The author will tell you ... in the course of his journey from small-town Wisconsin to the bright lights and big cities of Europe and the United States. Follow the kid who nearly fainted while giving a freshman book report, as he masters the arts of public speaking and writing."
When I had mentioned at a writer's meeting that I had worn out my word-processing machine (actually knocking the "h" out of it), Dave invited me to the warehouse in which he kept the accumulation of things that he had been garnering for many years. He thought he had several word processors.
Several days later we met at the warehouse that was familiar to me as it had belonged previously to a friend who was a casket dealer, and had used the building to store the products of his profession. Its interior had assumed an entirely different image. Dave eventually found the word processors, but they

Old 03-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Gilly
Road Captain
Default RE: Dave Manthey "The Munch Man"

That's Daves "rider" Munch #201 with my trusty K75S in the background. Dave had several of these, about 9 if memory serves. One of them was sold to Jay Leno. Big fast ugly brute od a bike, they were almost like children to him.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:45 AM
bruffsup
Stage I
Default RE: Dave Manthey "The Munch Man"

&nbsp\\; I was shocked to hear about Dave's passing. For the last year we had talked quite a bit on the phone. We were trying to piece a deal together for one of his beloved Munchs. Of course he would not part with the hand hammered or the later ones&nbsp\\; but as I have been trying to buy one of these for decades I can't afford to be picky. I have tried his old number but it is disconnected. Can you tell me how to get in touch with the executor or maybe you are aware of Dave'e estate auction?&nbsp\\; I know it may sound crass but I am sure Dave would like to see his bikes in the hands of enthusiasts as opposed to investors.&nbsp\\; Cheers, Barry Brown&nbsp\\; (&nbsp\\; Kingston, Canada) 1-613-273-5036

Old 07-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Gilly
Road Captain
Default RE: Dave Manthey "\\;The Munch Man"\\;

Sent you an email
Gilly

Old 08-30-2008, 11:36 AM
mike xeno
Stage I

hello, i saw the post of june 2008 about dave. I was also interested if you had any info on dave's estate and if there would be an auction. I had visited him several times at his wearhouse and purchased a black knight 2000 pinball from him. boy , he loved that game. thanks for any information. as dave would say, stay smooth. mike.