In Memory Of... Post a thread in memorial of a loved one. Pictures and thoughts are welcome.

Lost My Dad

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:04 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lost My Dad

After a four month struggle following a massive stroke,&nbsp\\;I lost my dad two weeks ago.&nbsp\\; I normally wouldn't put too much personal information on a website like this, but after reading the eulogy I wrote for my dad's service, even the priest thought his story should be told.&nbsp\\; Thinking about it since then, I have to agree...maybe the way he lived his life will add some positiveness to this world in some little way including a copy and paste here.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
JOHN FREDRICK GARITY “JACK”
Born in the winter of 1924, he weighed in at just over two pounds.&nbsp\\; His mom and dad had grave concerns for his future, as the doctor, who traveled to Genesee from Mukwonago by horse and sleigh, spent a week caring for their little boy.&nbsp\\; Despite the odds and with an uphill battle just to survive, their little boy grew up to be quite a man!&nbsp\\; There was an idyllic childhood of baseball, ice cream socials, working on aunts’ and uncles’ farms, swimming and ice skating in and on local ponds, sleigh riding and of course the eight grades of education provided by a loved and respected Mary Plout.&nbsp\\; Oh the stories Dad shared that we will never forget.&nbsp\\; In high school, he starred in football and earned the name of “shoulders”.&nbsp\\; In the hallways and classrooms he charmed many a feminine heart but never knew it until he read it in his yearbook.&nbsp\\; His modesty and humble nature never changed.&nbsp\\; While doing homework on a Sunday afternoon his senior year, he heard the radio broadcast of the bombing of Pearl Harbor and the next day he signed up for duty.&nbsp\\; The next four years were spent patrolling the east coast, west coast and Panama Canal.&nbsp\\; On leave, he would head out on foot with his thumb in the air to get back to Genesee.&nbsp\\; Some of these excursions covered thousands of miles and the starting points included places like Seattle, Philadelphia and Florida.&nbsp\\; On one of these leaves, fate led him to Oconomowoc, where he struck a pose beside a mailbox outside a drug store where a 17-year old “Eba Wubims” was shopping.&nbsp\\; When she walked out it was love at first sight.&nbsp\\; Although Jack needed to go back to service, their letters kept the embers of love glowing and when the war ended and Dad was back in town for good, there was nothing that could prevent them from being together.&nbsp\\; A ring was given on Christmas Eve in the back pew of St. Paul’s Church.&nbsp\\; Then a house was purchased and Jack and Edie moved into the one and only home they would ever know.&nbsp\\; Not long after that, they started a family and settled into a life of raising four children, going to church, canning fruits and vegetables, caring for their home and yard, and taking vacations to Lake Namakagon.&nbsp\\; There were heartbreaks and there was joy, but the one thing that never wavered was Dad’s steadiness and dedication to his family, especially his wife.&nbsp\\; In 1985 a car accident left the love of his life incapable of total independence, but with selfless love and devotion, he made sure that she would never be wanting.&nbsp\\; For 22 years he was at her side making sure that she was comfortable, safe and warm.&nbsp\\; Who will ever forget seeing him or hearing about him removing the insulin from the refrigerator and rolling it in his hands until it was warm enough for Mom to use.&nbsp\\; Who else would even think to do such a thing?&nbsp\\; But then again who else would carry a 17-year old dog in and out of the house several times each day because it couldn’t negotiate the steps anymore?&nbsp\\; Who else would go back into a store to give a clerk the $5 that she added to his change accidentally?&nbsp\\; Who else would discover a mouse riding on the top of the passenger seat in his car and think it was funny and perfectly acceptable?&nbsp\\; Who else would find joy in feeding old food to skunks right outside his back door?&nbsp\\; Jack Garity did all of these things and more because he was a down-to-earth, humble man with a unique sense of humor and a great love and interest of the world that surrounded him.&nbsp\\; When old age finally started to show, he slowed down and stayed close to home, but the basic personality that he was known for never changed and neither did the rock solid steadiness of his convictions.&nbsp\\; After the stroke on January 23rd, Dad was severely debilitated on many levels.&nbsp\\; He couldn’t walk, he couldn’t eat and he was totally dependent on the care provided by others.&nbsp\\; Despite this, every single time he was asked how he was doing, he would reply with “great”, “fine”, “really good”, or, if he was too weak, just a simple up and down head nod which indicated “ok”.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Jack Garity was a great man, a devoted husband and father, a lover of wildlife and nature, an excellent caretaker of his dogs, and a good neighbor.&nbsp\\; Above all, he was an uncomplicated and simple man who never worried about what others thought but was always kind to just about everyone he met.&nbsp\\; Simply put, he was a good soul who will be missed by many.
&nbsp\\;
And finally, Dad, when you were born, you were placed in a shoebox and cared for by a worried mother and father, other relatives, and the family doctor.&nbsp\\; As you lay on your back in that little box, you must have wondered what all the fuss was and who all these strange faces were.&nbsp\\; The one thing I know you never had to wonder or doubt was the love and affection that was felt for you.&nbsp\\; When your life ended, and you were once again being cared for and wondering who all your caretakers and visitors were, I know that deep down inside, you understood that you were loved deeply, and that caring for you, visiting you, worrying about you, and fighting for your care, was not a burden on any of us.&nbsp\\; We did it because we love you more than you can imagine and losing you was unbearable for us.&nbsp\\; You have left a hole in our hearts that will never mend.&nbsp\\;
YOUR LOVING FAMILY
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Lost My Dad

Solo Rider, you have my deepest sympathies on the loss of your dad. My dad died almost 17 years ago, and I still miss him. Time does wonders, and the good memories usually outweigh the sorrow, but I can tell you, I still miss my dad! Stay well and enjoy your life. It's what your dad would want you to do. Take care.

Troll

Old 07-18-2008, 08:05 AM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Troll,
Sorry, I can't refer to you as 'Ugly' after reading your&nbsp\\;kind words.&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Thanks much!!&nbsp\\; I will miss my dad for the rest of my life, no doubt.&nbsp\\;
Rob

Old 07-18-2008, 08:46 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

I understand how you must feel, I lost my dad last year.