Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

More clutch woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Rat bike
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More clutch woes

With the help of you all and a whole lot of foul language on my part, I finally got my bike up and running last week. But here we go again...

I replaced my clutch and drilled and tapped the primary cover where the clutch cable enters. Things were going well untill I was on my way to work this morning and my lever went slack. I thought I must have busted it but when I got into the parking lot I gave it a tug and felt resistance. I winged the adjustment enough to make it home after work and then gave it a proper adjustment. When I took it out to test it the same thing happened again with the slackness in the lever. Any ideas?

Old 08-09-2007, 09:48 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: More clutch woes

I think there is something going on with that cam release lever again. Either that or the cable slipped out of the lever arm. The clutch connects to the lever arm that has the 3 *****. That entire mechanism is what engages/disengages the clutch, nothing else is involved, so that is where the trouble has to be.
I know you hate to pull it open again, but remove the primary cover and inspect the clutch cable attachment and the release lever inside.........pg

Old 08-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Rat bike
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: More clutch woes

thanks agen well i have a 280 mile ride to do tomarrow so its a late night here gona put my kids to bed clime into the cluch and then be out the doon at 4:30 am well i figured it was the cam arm. thanks agen