Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Ironhead (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ironhead-66/)
-   -   Ironhead aftermarket parts? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ironhead/139470-ironhead-aftermarket-parts.html)

oldbikenut 08-11-2007 01:34 PM

Ironhead aftermarket parts?

A lot of the parts like foot peg rubbers, fork seal covers, etc. that are available for the old ironheads are CHEAP JUNK.
HD doesn't make these parts any more, and the only parts I seem to be able to find are the cheap junk from China. Even a lot of the J&P stuff is like this. These parts don't last any time at all.

Anybody have a source of DECENT QUALITY parts like these? I know they would cost more, but I just want some parts that will last.

shooter64 08-11-2007 08:30 PM

RE: Ironhead aftermarket parts?

Have you looked in the Jammers catalogue.........Ed "Mr. Lucky", does a pretty decent job with the catoalog

xxxflhrci 08-12-2007 03:25 AM

V Twin

mojo2go 08-12-2007 07:13 PM

Hey there, I know where you're coming from. I work as an auto tech in a car dealership and almost all of the parts like brake rotors, motor mounts, etc. are made in China or Taiwan. It seems like almost all of the big bike parts companies get their inventory from these countries, buy it for nothing, and then jack up the prices.
I always shop on e-bay for what I can find in OEM parts. The stuff is out there but you gotta dig for it.

sepixlh 08-13-2007 12:32 AM

ORIGINAL: ironxl

A lot of the parts like foot peg rubbers, fork seal covers, etc. that are available for the old ironheads are CHEAP JUNK.
Yep you are right, many parts are JUNK, they don't fit without some "adjutment", bad material .... but even newer sportster OEM parts are made in far-east. Difference ( what I have noticed ) is that OEM parts are made from better materials.
Foot peg rubbers fits from newer sportser, and "everybody" changes their footbegs to billet ones..so they are sold cheap in swapmeets, fleamarkets

heavy.clutch 08-13-2007 04:29 AM

Here in NZ you willfindthe parts but they are all mostly from taiwan.Bought a generatorfrom custom chrome which i thought it was usa made but when it arrivedit said made in taiwan.

83XLX 08-13-2007 08:12 AM

Yes, I had a recent experience with imported parts. I ordered disc brake pads from J&P, and paid a little more for the ones advertised as "Made in USA". When I opened the box, they had a "Made in China" sticker on them, but since I already has the brake apart, I thought I'd just go ahead and install them.

They didn't fit........

The metal plate the friction material was bonded to was just slightly too large to fit into the caliper. Returned for refund, with no refund for shipping.

nucklehead13 02-17-2017 11:52 AM

No wonder them rocker box cover gaskets I got started leaking. It also explains why none of them after market oil line nuts and seals wouldn't stop leaking. I had to find stock used ones to finally fix that. I really hope the electronic ignition I got holds up or Ill have to go back to points. Good thing I never throw old parts away.

nibroc 02-18-2017 08:00 AM

most parts from sporty specialtes are oem

83XLX 02-20-2017 04:37 PM

The H-D parts book is your friend. Look up the part(s) you want and visit your friendly neighborhood Harley dealer. Some of the old stuff is still available.