Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Biker's Creed

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:49 AM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Biker's Creed

I ride because it is fun. I ride because I enjoy the freedom I feel from being exposed to the elements, and the vulnerability to the danger that is intrinsic to riding.

I do not ride because it is fashionable to do so.

I ride my machine, not wear it. My machine is not a symbol of status. It exists simply for me and me alone.

My machine is not a toy. It is an extension of my being and I will treat it accordingly with the same respect as I have for myself.

I strive to understand the inner-workings of my machine, from the most basic to the most complex. I learn everything I can about my machine so that I am reliant upon no one but myself for its health and well-being.

I strive to constantly better my skill of control over my machine. I will learn its limits and use my skill to become one with my machine so that we may keep each other alive. I am the master, it is the servant. Working together in harmony we will become an invincible team.

I do not fear death. I will however do all possible to avoid death prematurely. Fear is the enemy, not death. Fear on the highway leads to death therefore I will not let fear be my master; I will master it.

My machines will outlive me. Therefore, they are my legacy. I will care for them for future bikers to cherish as I have cherished them, whoever they may be.

I do not ride to gain attention, respect or fear from those who DO NOT ride, nor do I wish to intimidate or annoy them. For those that do not know me, all I wish from them is to ignore me. For those that desire to know me, I will share with them the truth of myself so that they might understand me and not fear others like me.

I will never be the aggressor on the highway. However, should others **** with me their aggression will be dealt with in as a severe manner as I can cast upon them.

I will show respect to other bikers more experienced or knowledgeable I am. I will learn from them all I can. However, if my respect is not acknowledged or appreciated, it will end.

I will not show disrespect to other bikers less experienced or knowledgeable than I am. I will teach them what I can. However, if they show me disrespect they will be bitch-slapped.

It will be my task to mentor new riders, that so desire, into the lifestyle of the biker so that the breed shall continue. I shall instruct them as I have been instructed by those before me. I shall preserve and honor traditions of bikers before me and I will pass them on unadulterated.

I will not judge other bikers on their choice of machine, their appearance or their profession. I will judge them only on their conduct as bikers. I am proud of my accomplishments as a biker though I will not flaunt them to others. If they ask, I will share them.

I will stand ready to help any other bikers that truly need my help. I will never ask another biker to do for me what I can do for myself. I am not a part-time biker. I am a biker when and wherever I go. I am proud to be a biker and hide my chosen lifestyle from no one. I ride because I love the freedom, independence and the movement of the ground beneath me. But most of all, I ride to understand myself, my machine, the lands in which I ride and to seek out and know other bikers like myself.

Posted from Bikermagazine issue #188, Author unknown, trying to keep the faith.....Ride With Pride!

Old 02-20-2008, 11:24 AM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 640 Likes on 228 Posts
Default RE: Biker's Creed

ORIGINAL: SportsterBob
....My machines will outlive me. Therefore, they are my legacy. I will care for them for future bikers to cherish as I have cherished them, whoever they may be....
I've thought about this before. I've owned my '83 for 18 years now, andI know just about every nut and bolt on it. As long as I can still swing a leg over it, I'll not sell it - it's like partof the family. It's in beautiful shape now (after a lot of work), and I hate to think of what could happen to it when I'm gone, like some wannabe completely screws it up trying to "customize" it, or blows it up because of poor or no maintenance.[:'(]

[IMG]local://upfiles/21410/C019F8066FBD488881A700D65CCCD88E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/21410/F967C3F211C44C0F8CF8BC9216BB90CE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-20-2008, 02:26 PM
pyro
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost as good as the 23rd Psalm.

Rich

Old 02-21-2008, 08:07 PM
hog4u
Cruiser

No thanks, I think I'll be my own Man.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:17 PM
wojeepster
Advanced

83xlx that bike is beautiful!

Old 02-22-2008, 10:51 PM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 640 Likes on 228 Posts

ORIGINAL: wojeepster

83xlx that bike is beautiful!
Thanks, man. Lots of people (who don't know any better) ask me if it's a new 883. Not bad for a 25 year old bike!