Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

1976 Liberty Edition Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Ironof76
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 Liberty Edition Questions

Hello All -

This is my first post and my first Harley so be gentle with me. I do want to say that I learned a tremendous amount from this forum on my research and decisions on buying a bike. A big thank you to all that have posted with great information.

I wound up with a 1976 Sportster as you can guess from my username. I am trying to find out if the bike is a Liberty Edition. The previous owner was a great guy and told me that he removed a sticker from the oil tank and that the bike was a Liberty Edition. I called Harley corporate directly and they were very friendly and helpful. Someone on this forum mentioned that they had called "Harley Tech Support" and verified their bike as a LE. I don't think Harley has such a division. The nice folks at HD told me that from my vin I had a Harley "Superbike Sportster" or "Super H". I guess this has something to do with the electric start in 1976.

My questions are - Is there anything in the vin sequence identifying the bike as a Liberty Edition (others online have led me to believe there is but I don't know where they got their info)? How do you know what decals are correct (part number) for the particular model bike or were they all the same for the Liberty Edition in 1976? Here is a really off-the-wall question - Did the Liberty editions come with a leather wrap and/or tassel package?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:09 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

VIN only indicates XL, XLH, XLCH, XLA, XLT. Nothing represents the Liberty Edition.

The LE was controversial. Typically not a collectors item. Just a paint and decal dressup. Unlikely a leather treatment of any kind.

Lots of info if you Google 1976 hd sportster liberty edition

HD Tech Support is incorrect. Call HD Customer Care ...

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...contact_us.jsp

To contact the Motor Company directly, please write:

Harley-Davidson Customer Care
3700 W. Juneau Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53208

To speak with a Harley-Davidson customer care representative please call (414) 343-4056. Our normal hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Central Standard Time (CST).

Sorry, we're unable to receive e-mail at this time.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Ironof76
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76 le

Thanks for your reply Mick. I have done a lot of research and contacted Harley Customer Support earlier today. I am basically hearing from them that accurate records were not kept at the time the bike was manufactured. The post I was referring to earlier was from 2007 by mcw402. He claimed that Harley had verified that his bike was a Liberty Edition by vin. Obviously, it would have had to be by sequential number in the vin. Harley said that if I learned of any information on this to call them back and they would review my vin again. All they could tell me was that the bike "could be" a Liberty Edition. Any information on the person that originally posted this or any other additional vin information on the LE would be appreciated.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:21 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

I have seen a few posts on this HDForums and on XLForum over the years. The factory service manual is very clear on the VIN structure. I think the original poster you are referring to is quite simply wrong, that it could not be verified by VIN.

Here is a thread with more info ...

Ironhead Confederate Edition Sportsters?
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=634505

Old 07-29-2019, 12:25 PM
ConfederateFLHSport
Cruiser
Received 82 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi any luck with your vin#? Hd has the information for 1980 and down on microphosh. They can look it up for you.. i have my build sheet from 77

Old 07-29-2019, 08:12 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,053 Likes on 6,220 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:25 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,449 Likes on 4,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironof76
The nice folks at HD told me that from my vin I had a Harley "Superbike Sportster" or "Super H". I guess this has something to do with the electric start in 1976.
I've never heard those terms.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:44 AM
ConfederateFLHSport
Cruiser

Ive heard of the sportster super H. The superbike comes with a cape and gloves! The cafe racer version ive heard called a superbike. But they are two totally different bikes

Old 07-31-2019, 10:56 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,449 Likes on 4,133 Posts

Originally Posted by ConfederateFLHSport
Ive heard of the sportster super H. The superbike comes with a cape and gloves! The cafe racer version ive heard called a superbike. But they are two totally different bikes
Lol...... and the XLCR's were only built in '77 & "78.

I wonder what made them "Super H". I'm guessing that was for the XLH???? What did they call the XLCH?

Old 07-31-2019, 11:51 AM
ConfederateFLHSport
Cruiser

Super H stands for heavy duty or handshift from what i can find. And xlcr cafe was made three yrs. 77-79. Jockey shift was available up to like 1980 on fl models. Never seen a sporty with hand shift? Has anyone else?

Quick Reply: 1976 Liberty Edition Questions