Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

75 Ironhead chain oiler

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 02:47 PM
marksjeff
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 75 Ironhead chain oiler

Does anybody have a good picture of the chain oiler? My pictures are all messed up and I can't see what I'm looking for. I just went for my first ride on the bike and 3rd gear was slipping. I pulled into the driveway and oil is running all over. It's coming from the chain side and I figure maybe the chain oiler is not set right or missing parts or broke.

Thanks
Jeremy

Old 07-03-2009, 05:19 PM
supr2nr
Tourer

It's hard to get a picture of the oiler when the oil tank is on and the bike is together. The oiler is under the starter solenoid. This picture is fuzzy, but its the only one I have. I'm missing the metering screw on mine so it might look a little different than yours. Yours might still have a screw sticking out the middle of it.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:36 PM
popstheoldman
Cruiser

I'd close it all off,and use a good spraycan oiler on the chain.use one that does'nt throw off thats what i used on my 60 sporty.[dont have that bike anymore].

Old 07-03-2009, 05:55 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by marksjeff
Does anybody have a good picture of the chain oiler? My pictures are all messed up and I can't see what I'm looking for. I just went for my first ride on the bike and 3rd gear was slipping. I pulled into the driveway and oil is running all over. It's coming from the chain side and I figure maybe the chain oiler is not set right or missing parts or broke.

Thanks
Jeremy
Here is a pic of the chain oiler off my 1971. It is off because...... well, it is off. I do not use it any longer....... pg

Old 07-03-2009, 08:22 PM
marksjeff
Intermediate

Ok, that looks foreign to me. Mine must have been removed before I got the bike. I do have a new oring chain, maybe I just need to use a spray. I'll keep looking for the oil leak.

Thanks
Jeremy

Old 07-03-2009, 08:39 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Make sure you have not overfilled the primary/transmission. It takes 26oz of oil.

Then look for the oil to be coming out from behind the drive sprocket. Behind the sprocket is an oil seal around the mainshaft coming out of thre transmission. The seals go bad and usually leak some. It is unusual for a great amount of oil to leak however.

That leads me to the next thing to look at. Actually this is the first thing you should check:

Sometimes the oil feed line to the oil pump gets whacked by the chain. If you are running an O ring chain perhaps this is what happened as they are a wider chain.

Clean off all the oil and then go over the oil line carefully. It has to sit in tight against the frame, being held there by a metal clip.
A lot of oil makes me thing the line has a crack or slit in it. Bad news if the oil tank runs dry, so check this out........ pg

Old 07-03-2009, 08:48 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by piniongear
...Make sure you have not overfilled the primary/transmission. It takes 26oz of oil ...
1.5 pints = 16 + 8 = 24 oz. 26 must be that 1970s new math, or something.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:54 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

The 'Corrector' makes another appearance.
Thanks Mick.... I just over filled his trans by 2 ozs........ pg

Old 07-04-2009, 08:56 AM
marksjeff
Intermediate

After the bike cooled I check the oil levels at the primary filler/check plug and it was just below the plug so I figured it to be fine. I also checked the oil tank and it was about where I started. I started it up again and no leaks besides the drips from the stripped drain plugs. I went for a ride and came back and there was some dripping but its hard to pin point because the whole back half under the motor is wet with oil. I wonder if the tranny was overfilled on the first ride and pushed out the excess when it go hot. I read about the 1.5 pints for the tranny, but it took close to 6 quarts to fill the primary cover to the fill plug which is up about 3/4 of the way on the cover. Am I doing something wrong here? Thats a huge difference.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:10 AM
marksjeff
Intermediate

Ok that must have been painful to read, I found the real oil level plug towords the bottom of the cover. I know where all the oil must have been coming from! Hopefully this didn't damage anything.

Quick Reply: 75 Ironhead chain oiler