Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

72 ironhead questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:11 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wizardry68
ok what is the secret to compressing that spring? its already tightly wound. with it wound its 1 1/16 long. seems too long to compress something thats already compressed. i did cheat by using a piece of metal with vise grips to hold choke closed. almost but got tired cuz i had an issue with a gas leak. found that issue. butthead on my behalf. by the way nice pic and it helped and i do like the handle for choke. i also read your view on those points. i did go back to check em out. i was just 100% unsure. thought id ask. always taught that a stupid question is a question not asked. just wanted to double check
One way I suggest you compress the spring is to use the choke shaft and lever (item 22) to compress it. The exercise would go like so.....
Insert the shaft into the carb a short way.
Holding the spring and plunger, move the shaft into the carb all the way. The cam plate hits the plunger and compresses the spring as the plunger is pushed into the hole in the carb.
This holds the spring and plunger in place (actually it's going to be you doing the holding) while you install the choke disc and 2 screws into the disc/shaft.
Yeah, I know.... easier said than done but that is the way I do it.

As far as the spring length goes, it may come in the kit over long and needs to be cut shorter. Only you can judge that. Give it some serious thought before you cut it though. If you had it compressed before, you don't want to cut it.
The choke needs some fairly serious spring pressure on the plunger to keep the choke staying open.
pg

Last edited by piniongear; 05-10-2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Correction.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:26 AM
wizardry68
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spring

this is the photo of the spring. i should have been more clear. it seems as if its already tightly wound. also my size was wrong. 11/16 in lengthdoesnt look as if you can compress this. unless it is suppose to be like this instead of stretching it to collapse it

Attached Thumbnails 72 ironhead questions-001.jpg  
Old 05-11-2010, 06:55 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

this is the photo of the spring. i should have been more clear. it seems as if its already tightly wound. also my size was wrong. 11/16 in lengthdoesnt look as if you can compress this. unless it is suppose to be like this instead of stretching it to collapse it
It's hard for me to tell from the pic but it looks to be:
(1) Too long
(2) Coilbound, just the way it sits there.

The spring is not going to have open coils with a lot of air space between the winds (like the spring on a ball point pen looks) because it compresses very little.

Does this spring compress at all? You may want to trim a little off the end and try that. When you move the choke to off and on there is very little compression taking place. The movement is equal to the size of the bumps between the indents in the choke plate.
I will try to take a look at mine if I get a chance today and see if I can give you a better answer.
pg

Old 05-11-2010, 07:50 AM
wizardry68
Cruiser

it does compress a little. so what im getting is that there has to be enough pressure against that plate to prevent movment while running so the butterfly doesnt open and close on its own. enough friction to keep it tight but enough to make adjustments

Old 05-11-2010, 08:25 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

it does compress a little. so what im getting is that there has to be enough pressure against that plate to prevent movment while running so the butterfly doesnt open and close on its own. enough friction to keep it tight but enough to make adjustments
That is correct.
I said earlier that the spring force was considerable. I should have said it needs to be enough to keep the butterfly from closing.
Let me know how you make out with the fit up.
pg

Old 05-11-2010, 03:42 PM
wizardry68
Cruiser

ok i did cut the spring. i did a lil at a time and tried to fit it each time. cut a lil fit so on. took a little piece that i cut slid it in and was able to have enough pressure against that plate. now im gonna try and start it. decided to walk away for a few. thank you sooooo much!!! allen

Old 05-11-2010, 05:15 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

ok i did cut the spring. i did a lil at a time and tried to fit it each time. cut a lil fit so on. took a little piece that i cut slid it in and was able to have enough pressure against that plate. now im gonna try and start it. decided to walk away for a few. thank you sooooo much!!! allen
Great! If the bike has not been run in a while you may want to try using some starting fluid. If you decide to do so, be sure to have the air cleaner attached before you turn it over to prevent a fire from happening.
pg

Old 05-13-2010, 02:43 PM
wizardry68
Cruiser

well almost started. plugs got soaked and noticed fuel coming out the bottom of the air cleaner. made a phone call and was told the float was stuck. tried the phone call again and noone was around.
now that float spring.....now the directions say float spring is positioned so that the short end engages tab of float and so the long end can be rotated inside fuel bowl.
now does that mean the short end goes under tab or over tab

Old 05-13-2010, 02:54 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Could be float stuck, float set to incorrect level, crud between float needle and seat, or tip of needle not seating. If it was OK recently then it is more likely crud.

I would dismantle the carb, examine it closely [the crud can be very very tiny], clean it up, measure the float height [which you should do last step every time before re-assembling the carb], put it back together and go.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:27 PM
wizardry68
Cruiser

i did that. same issue i just wonder if the float spring is suppose to go over the tab along with the fuel valve

Quick Reply: 72 ironhead questions