Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

69' XLH checkin in

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Z-Dubya
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 69' XLH checkin in

I have been following the site for a month or so and it has been a HUGE help so I figured I should register and post up. About 2 months ago I picked up a basket case 69. The bottom end was freshly rebuilt and I am currently working on the top end. The transmission is next and then the primary etc....I'm hoping to have the motor/trans done by the end of Jan and the bike ready to ride by spring. I know my way around a tool box but this will be my first bike build so I'm sure newbie questions are in my future. I'm aiming for a "rat" style bike in the end but I want the motor/trans to be as fresh as possible so alot of new parts are in my wishlist waiting to be ordered. Thanks for all of the incredible info and I'll try to get some pictures up tonight, though its mostly just a couple boxes of parts right now and I already have the top end of the old ironhead stripped down......

Old 11-02-2011, 06:50 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum, Z. I have a similar mess to enjoy all winter and an old one I've had for years.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:51 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

Welcome! to the madness. Yes, please show us pics. Most of us are not fortunate enough to find a good basket case and we would like to see yours, baskets and all! Sounds like you have a well made plan.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Frito Bandito
6th Gear

Welcome and good luck, but you sound like you have a solid plan, patience, and the right amount of ambition so you should have no probs. I did the same thing last winter and it is really rewarding however, the tranny can be a real headache. Not being the best mechanic, I ended up leaving the tranny work to a highly regarded local bike fixer and couldn't be happier with the results. My original right hand shifty bike actually shifts better than my 2000 Wide Glide! The top end is pretty easy and gives you a chance to paint or powder coat the barrels and heads to make them look spiffy. If your going to paint them, be sure to use heat resistant paint and an old trick we used to use in the UK when we tore down our BSA/Trimuph's was to wait until our mum was gone and bake the newly painted barrels in the oven at 200 degrees for a few hours to temper the paint. Once again, good luck and send us pics of your progress.

Attached Thumbnails 69' XLH checkin in-dscf0034.jpg  
Old 11-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Z-Dubya
4th Gear

Thank you for the welcoming posts! Thanks for the tip on paint, I'll try that!
This is basically where I am so far minus the jugs being removed and waiting for inspection. Not much progress for a week or so but I don't want to get ahead of myself and try an tackle to many things at once.
I'm going to pick up some parts cleaner in the a.m. (hopefully) and start getting everything ready for paint and reassembly. I'll be ordering the parts I need to put the rockers and valves back together tomorrow aswell as the last set of rings I need for the new pistons.

Last edited by Z-Dubya; 11-03-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:28 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

I really do love to see posts like this. All those parts! All the love that they need and are going to get.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Z-Dubya
4th Gear

O they will be getting plenty of love! I'm already addicted! I think it's awesome how simple the bike is and coming from a rock crawling background, thats how I like things! I find doing the research is just as fun as working on it, I love the nastolgia behind the old Sporty. If I'm not wrenching on it, I'm day dreaming or researching about it and this site has been a plethra (sp) of useful information. I may have gotten in over my head but I'm determined to make it work and confident in my skills, plus I got a HELLUVA deal on it.....

Old 11-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Z-Dubya
4th Gear

After some investigation I have found that the frame is actually a 75' XLCH and the Ironhead is from a 69' XLH. Am I going to have any sortof fitment issues when I install the motor/trans? Any other issues trying to combine a 69' Ironhead with a 75' sporty that I might want to know? Motor mounts are what jumped out in my mind as possibly being a headache...... Thanks guys!

Old 11-09-2011, 07:34 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have you registered the title in your name? and what year is it registered as?

This might be the first issue that needs to be resolved.

I hope not, though.

s

Old 11-09-2011, 07:54 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

Bikes from 1970-on are titled by the frame VIN. Previous to 1970 they are titled by the engine VIN. What is on your title?

There have been a few very recent horror stories where the most recent purchaser of the bike had it confiscated. You should carefully check out the legality of what you have before putting even 1 cent into it. Having a piece of paper that looks legal or has been accepted in one locality may very well not be good enough.

Quick Reply: 69' XLH checkin in