Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.
View Poll Results: Why do you check out vintage Harley threads?
I like all Harley's and check out all the threads.
32.29%
I especially like vintage Harley's
25.00%
I own a vintage Harley and look for threads related to my year of bike.
47.92%
I hope to own a vintage Harley and I am always looking for ideas/information on a certain year.
18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 08:03 AM
BayBones
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMick
It is a work of art. I love these things. I learned about them from PinionGear on the other IronHead forum. Both of my local IronHead buddies run them now and love them. No better carb for an IronHead [well, IMO anyway - some others do not agree ].

A little rich does not hurt an IronHead engine; it may even be preferable. I changed the slow jet up one size from 30 to 32.5 for better performance in extremely cold weather, from +5`C to -10`C, winter riding here in Canada.
Thanks for the info Papa and Mick. I'll start her out on the stock jets and see how she runs from there. As for cold weather riding, Im in Northern Cape Breton, Nova Scotia and I do a lot of colder weather riding - but if its below +5 degrees, the bike stays in the garage man, that s too cold for me:-)

My next little project is to use some ABS plumbing pipe (see edit below) to make a home made flange to fit the Bigeye filter to the Mikuni.

The inside diameter of the intake on the Mikuni is 55 mm and the ABS pipe is 56 mm, so my plan is to try to remove this 1 mm of material from the abs pipe that already has a wider flange built in, and attach the filter to the carb using 3 set screws through the outside rim of the carb and into the ABS pipe.

This SHOULD allow me to snug the filter up right against the outside lip of the Carb and keep the filter shallow enough to comfortably use my forward controls.

I hope that reducing the intake diameter with this ABS pipe does not impact the air flow to much to negatively impact performance. It's not meant to be a race bike, but I need her to perform as well as she can for me while cruising around town. I won't be doing this for a few weeks because of other commitments but I will post a bunch of pictures if I am successful - if it fails, I will of course delete this post any reference to such a stupid idea:-). LOL Live and Learn I say.

EDIT: So since the post above, and a little more research and a discussion with a plumber friend, it appears that ABS pipe would never hold up to the vibration of the motor ( I thought this might be the case thats why I did more research). I will not use ABS pipe and will now look for a stainless steel flange that I can mill down to the proper dimensions. Stay tuned for more teachable moments from yours truly:-)

Last edited by BayBones; 01-08-2016 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Stupidity:-)
Old 01-08-2016, 03:51 PM
BayBones
Tourer
Default New Plan for Carb air filter adapter

OK I came up with a new fool proof plan (aren't they all) to attach my bugeye air filter to my Mikuni carb.

I was at Canadian Tire today picking up parts for a 4X4 that I am installing a snowplow on, and I started looking around for inspiration as to how I might attach my air cleaner to my carb. I found myself in the muffler pipe section and I spied a piece of pipe (an adapter) used for attaching two different size auto exhaust pipes together. There were lots of sizes but the one I picked up goes from 2 1/2" in ID to 2" OD pipe. Just by eyeing it I thought I could make this work for me.

I bought the adapter, brought it home and tried it on the carb and the air filter and it was a perfect fit. Eureka!!!
I need to shorten both ends but with a little bit of modification and the strategic use of some rubber tape for a compression gasket between the Carb and the pipe (there is a 1mm difference in the diameters) and a good pipe clamp, I should have a very solid and workable solution that will not restrict my air flow like my previous plan (yeah the one that was a failure before it even started).

You might wonder why I am leaving that failed idea on the previous post because it kinda makes me look, well, stupid right?? Well, I want to show that sometimes you need to go through a few bad ideas before you come up with the keeper that does the job properly. Hang in there and you will eventually figure this **** out, it sometimes just takes a few tries:-)

Old 01-08-2016, 09:44 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

There is no such thing as a bad idea, only ideas implemented when they should not be, and badly implemented ideas. All ideas are good and need expression, exploration and discussion. Just like feelings, as the psychologists would say

Old 01-09-2016, 10:47 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the same carb months ago after reading some of IronMicks post but have not installed it yet. replacing pistons and rings first, then with the top end not making so much noise, we could hear the cam chest noise. Order new cams bushings, bearings, lifter rollers and all that stuff. My mech doesn't want me to change carbs until after proving the new top end. He said the carb you have works, lets not change anything yet.
I got a branch intake and backing plate for it to change out also. Guess I'll have to buy a different filter and try a football cover on it.
One of these days........

Old 01-09-2016, 08:14 PM
BayBones
Tourer

Originally Posted by 98Ultra
I got the same carb months ago after reading some of IronMicks post but have not installed it yet. replacing pistons and rings first, then with the top end not making so much noise, we could hear the cam chest noise. Order new cams bushings, bearings, lifter rollers and all that stuff. My mech doesn't want me to change carbs until after proving the new top end. He said the carb you have works, lets not change anything yet.
I got a branch intake and backing plate for it to change out also. Guess I'll have to buy a different filter and try a football cover on it.
One of these days........
Well 98 Ultra you are doing all the important stuff up front. Hopefully once you get the engine operating like you want it, you can use the new carb for added reliability and performance.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:37 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

For the Branch backing plate, along with a common early Sportster A/C cover 29084-73, the correct filter is K&N HD-0200 or any brand compatible with 29036-66. These are 2" filters.

The branch backing plates are now hard to come by on eBay, and go for at least double the $30 i paid for mine a few years ago. You have the best setup there waiting for its turn.

The mech's advice to make fewer simultaneous changes is good, traditional advice.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:05 PM
BayBones
Tourer

Got some new parts in the mail yesterday. New Dynatek electronic ignition
and a new Barrett throttle cable for my Mikuni MV 38-9 carb.

I also buttoned up the rear end of the bike today, doing a final installation of the rear wheel and fender and installing the oil bag and hooking up oil lines etc.
I also finished up with the new leather strap that now holds the battery in place. I actually just secured the leather strap to the existing metal strap and it turned out pretty darn good, you can't see any of the bolts holding the leather strap on to the metal strap beneath it so it has the retro look of something from the good old days but the safety of a good metal battery strap.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:57 PM
sasquatch_38
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

really lookin sharp.bay bones

Old 01-24-2016, 09:17 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

I am not sure about that throttle cable. I believe it is what they call a "universal cable". The 90` fitting is correct for the carb but neither end fits the usual HD throttle grip.

The usual cable for IronHeads has a 90` fitting on both ends; a different one on each end, one to fit the carb and one to fit the handlebar grip. I usually post this pic or a link to it. Sorry if i missed this in earlier posts ...

It is the bottom cable in this pic ...

The first one that i bought was from J&P Cycles. It was like the one in your pic. I sent it to Barnett, they modified it. I had to pay shipping both ways and a fee for the modification.

Last edited by IronMick; 01-24-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:58 PM
BayBones
Tourer

Mick I think I read about your cable mod in another thread. I have a couple of non Harley throttles handles that I might be able to use so I am going to take some time to figure out how I might be able to get this one to work before going the full mod route. Thanks for the great details in the diagram. I always appreciate your input and knowledge.

Quick Reply: 1977 Hot Rod Bobber Build