Sponsored by:

M8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 02:10 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,256 Likes on 3,628 Posts

Originally Posted by LA VIC
Nope it didn't have a too easy break-in. They already did a leak down check and that came up good. Bike has about 8k miles and everything was bone dry until about 1k miles ago.
I would say about the only other things would be scavenge side oil pump or possibly the O ring behind the oil pump.. There still seems to be one just like on the TCs.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:05 AM
WmRickert
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Of course it is only my opinion and butt sensor that claims this. I will stake my cred that the the 17 touring is the best H-D ever and is a world class touring machine.
Ultra Limited, I'm 6'2" tall.

Yuup!! 700 miles in 3 days and all I can complain about is the windburn.

And my highway pegs still need to be dialed in on the right side, left is good.

Exhaust is way too quiet. Almost got run over by a texting teen. Nothin some Big Louie's won't fix.

Clutch lever is a bit stiff but nothing compared to the old non-hydraulic clutches. It is also set out to the outter edge, not in the middle where I prefer but I'm sure that is there to avoid wear in adjustment. I'll probably adjust mine since I don't have to pay $100 an hour do do it. This I don't understand. Everything else on the bike is set up for the vertically challenged.

Lack of a tour pack relocator option is a big issue. I had to call up George Anderson. $225 out of pocket to find out if it will fit on a '17. Those who have dealt with George in the past know he won't take my money till I get it on the bike. We'll find out in a few days. Again, not enough leg room or gut room for us biguns.

Shift linkage levers are set up for dirt riders. Adjusted mine. Might need another little tweak or two.

Break pedal is too high. I suppose it is to support short riders. (I wasn't in the survey.) I'll adjust that this weekend when I do my 1000 mile.

Windshield is 3" too short. Will have to upgrade with aftermarket.

Handle bars are 2" too low.

So my only complaint is whoever was in charge of decisions was short and had some kind of vendetta against big & tall people. I'll update after my 1000 maintenance this weekend if I find anything else.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:55 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by WmRickert
Ultra Limited,

Exhaust is way too quiet.

Clutch lever is a bit stiff but nothing compared to the old non-hydraulic clutches. It is also set out to the outter edge, not in the middle where I prefer but I'm sure that is there to avoid wear in adjustment. I'll probably adjust mine since I don't have to pay $100 an hour do do it. This I don't understand. Everything else on the bike is set up for the vertically challenged.

Lack of a tour pack relocator option is a big issue. I had to call up George Anderson. $225 out of pocket to find out if it will fit on a '17. Those who have dealt with George in the past know he won't take my money till I get it on the

Shift linkage levers are set up for dirt riders. Adjusted mine. Might need another little tweak or two.

Break pedal is too high. I suppose it is to support short riders. (I wasn't in the survey.) I'll adjust that this

Windshield is 3" too low
I am sure HD uses American and European height averages when they design bikes to fit as many folks as possible. That means it will not fit some people but close enough so people by the product.

First thing I changed was the windscreen to get the air off my face and I am only 5'11". Average is probably around 5'8". Good luck, ride safe.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:18 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by WmRickert

Break pedal is too high. I suppose it is to support short riders. (I wasn't in the survey.) I'll adjust that this weekend when I do my 1000 mile.
Both are not adjustable in stock form.

The following users liked this post:
WmRickert (05-04-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 06:49 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by YPD485
Both are not adjustable in stock form.
Its not rocket science. Though even that is sketchy

Old 04-27-2017, 08:06 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

just an fyi. Kuriyakyn and softbreak both make brake pedals that are longer and lower for the m8. Easy swap. I have one and love it. much more natural that way. Klock Werkz makes a great windscreen. The 6.5 seems to be a popular size. not small but not too big either.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:37 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Well, I'm at 6000 miles now and I think it's eating oil somewhere. I did the 5K service at 5022 miles. I put exactly 4.2 qts in and the dipstick was reading right at 8/10s full when hot on jiffy stand.

After today's ride its reading just a hair below 6/10s full when hot on jiffy stand.

I added 7 ozs and it brought it back up to 8/10s.

I'm using Mobil 1 vtwin 20w50. There are no leaks or drips on the garage floor and the exhaust doesn't smoke.

I took the air filter out and sure enough there's been some oil in there thru the breathers but not very much. There was some oil film on the inside of the throttle body but not a full drop to be seen.

So, is it normal to lose/use/burn 7 ozs of oil in a thousand miles?

Old 04-30-2017, 06:41 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by rjjj629
Well, I'm at 6000 miles now and I think it's eating oil somewhere. I did the 5K service at 5022 miles. I put exactly 4.2 qts in and the dipstick was reading right at 8/10s full when hot on jiffy stand.

After today's ride its reading just a hair below 6/10s full when hot on jiffy stand.

I'm using Mobil 1 vtwin 20w50. There are no leaks or drips on the garage floor and the exhaust doesn't smoke.

I took the air filter out and sure enough there's been some oil in there thru the breathers but not very much. There was some oil film on the inside of the throttle body but not a full drop to be seen.

Most would think not with any new vehicle. But then again, your Harley is not just like all those others... Did it burn it?, or is it simply held in reserve somewhere through out its cavity? That, plus 1k mi... I would say it's normal to burn up to 7oz or less whilst the rest is being held captive ready for your next start up

Old 04-30-2017, 09:12 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by rjjj629

that seems excessive to me, based on my experience thus far...I noticed about that level of consumption initially but after 1000 miles it began stabilizing and I'm at 5500 now and check it regularly and haven't been needing to add oil. I did a SE Stage 1 about 1000 miles or so ago and had it dyno tuned shortly after with the SE tuner..I continue to use HD360 as I always have..maybe yours just hasn't fully stabilized quite yet..should also add my wife's 2017 Freewheeler that is bone stock approaching 5 K has been about the same as mine regarding oil check, HD360 as well..I broke mine in locally as i always do and she took hers upon delivery on a 1000 mile road trip with her biker gal friends, and I made sure she understood what she needed to do the first 500 miles...that being said we have a couple of 2000 mile trips planned over the next few months in what will be warm weather and pushing them hard, so will definitely be packing a quart of oil along and keeping an eye on them...

Last edited by mjwebb; 04-30-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:33 AM
vtwinmax
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Light coming on

Add my name to the list of people having problems with the oil light coming on their M8. Have had my M8 for about 5 weeks and it has been in the shop over 2 weeks now. First time it went into the shop was for blow by. Turned out to be a bad O'ring in the push rod tubes. The next day after getting the bike out of the shop the oil light started coming on. It comes on when the bike is idling after riding 20 plus miles. After calling the factory, the dealer order a replacement the oil sensor. The next day after getting the bike out of the shop, riding 20 plus miles, the oil light started coming on again when the bike was idling. Took the bike back to the shop and the dealer consulted the factory again. Let me know if anybody else has heard this from their dealer, sounds like BS to me. The dealer called me yesterday and left a message on my voicemail saying the factory now has a new redesigned sensor and they are shipping it to the dealer. Ok, maybe an oil sensor they redesigned since last week or maybe an oil sensor that doesn't come on at idle or maybe a dealer that doesn't want to take the time to find out why the bike has low oil pressure? Ok, it's possible there is a new redesign oil switch that just came out and the original switch was a faulty design, but to me it sounds like a load of ****. Has anybody else heard this?

Quick Reply: M8 problems