Sponsored by:

Did my first real shopping for a M8

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 08:11 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts
Default Did my first real shopping for a M8

I've made my mind up a 2017 RK is for me. Base bike in black. It's been hard to find real world numbers on these bikes so popped a beer filled out there online Harley credit app. Picked a local dealer in Tulsa. I was not surprised one bit by the out come. They told me bring them my best quote and they would beat it. Otherwise MSRP plus shipping plus, plus title transfer, plus a $200 fee if I financed with Harley. $415 for the 1k mile service. I had $20k in cash with me. But they just wanted to play the Tulsa we want to rip you off games. They did not want to tell me the cost of extended warranty's or the cost of dyno time. I did find out today there dyno fee for three pulls for a baseline was $160. They wanted to sell on payment and 72 months. The only thing they did not do was try to play the 4 square game. This is how it is in Tulsa be it a car, truck, tractor. Pretty much any large ticket purchase.

So today I stop by the other dealer in town. Same game.

I made some inquires at other dealers in state and out of state. These resulted in prices from $17.5K to $18K. Some, cash talked. All had a service fee if you let them get your financing. Some had title transfer fees from $25 to none. All had cheaper dyno fee's. Extended warranty varied a lot! First service cost from included with purchase of bike to no more than $325. Must had no labor if you bought accessory's at the time of purchase.

The corporate Harley only shops were clearly the most expensive. Yeah know the ones. Look like a restaurant in a mall except there are no tables or chairs and if you did not see the bikes you would think there main game is selling cloths.

The best priced dealers sold at least two if not three lines of motorcycles. A couple of these dealers I know well. The best priced dealer hands down sells, Harley, Honda and Suzuki. When You walk into there dealership one knows right away what there up to. You smell motorcycles. You smell the tires, the fresh paint and plastics. All with a slight hint of oil and gas. You can hear bikes being started in the service area. You can hear the muffled glory of a bike on a dyno in a quite room.

I can't run up to that dealer this weekend,,, scheduled family actives. Youngest grandsons birthday is Saturday and some other stuff going on.

I had a pretty good idea who the dealer was going to be. But I had to see if the Tulsa dealers were still the type that make you want to wear a body condom when you enter. Nothing has changed.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:21 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Suggestion: Go to the dealer you want to buy from, let them know that you are ready to buy right now if the deal is acceptable. Tell them what you want, remind them ( nicely ) that you will leave if the answer is no. Go from there but be willing to walk.

Expect to pay MSRP, that in my opinion is reasonable. Negotiable from there.

Dealers are motivated ( generally ) by right now buyers. If they are not, move on. I would bet you get close to what you want.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:10 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
I've made my mind up a 2017 RK is for me. Base bike in black. It's been hard to find real world numbers on these bikes so popped a beer filled out there online Harley credit app. Picked a local dealer in Tulsa. I was not surprised one bit by the out come. They told me bring them my best quote and they would beat it. Otherwise MSRP plus shipping plus, plus title transfer, plus a $200 fee if I financed with Harley. $415 for the 1k mile service. I had $20k in cash with me. But they just wanted to play the Tulsa we want to rip you off games. They did not want to tell me the cost of extended warranty's or the cost of dyno time. I did find out today there dyno fee for three pulls for a baseline was $160. They wanted to sell on payment and 72 months. The only thing they did not do was try to play the 4 square game. This is how it is in Tulsa be it a car, truck, tractor. Pretty much any large ticket purchase.

So today I stop by the other dealer in town. Same game.

I made some inquires at other dealers in state and out of state. These resulted in prices from $17.5K to $18K. Some, cash talked. All had a service fee if you let them get your financing. Some had title transfer fees from $25 to none. All had cheaper dyno fee's. Extended warranty varied a lot! First service cost from included with purchase of bike to no more than $325. Must had no labor if you bought accessory's at the time of purchase.

The corporate Harley only shops were clearly the most expensive. Yeah know the ones. Look like a restaurant in a mall except there are no tables or chairs and if you did not see the bikes you would think there main game is selling cloths.

The best priced dealers sold at least two if not three lines of motorcycles. A couple of these dealers I know well. The best priced dealer hands down sells, Harley, Honda and Suzuki. When You walk into there dealership one knows right away what there up to. You smell motorcycles. You smell the tires, the fresh paint and plastics. All with a slight hint of oil and gas. You can hear bikes being started in the service area. You can hear the muffled glory of a bike on a dyno in a quite room.

I can't run up to that dealer this weekend,,, scheduled family actives. Youngest grandsons birthday is Saturday and some other stuff going on.

I had a pretty good idea who the dealer was going to be. But I had to see if the Tulsa dealers were still the type that make you want to wear a body condom when you enter. Nothing has changed.
Great post. I got my 2017 Ultra at MSRP. No other fees, no setup fee, no shipping fee, no title fee, nothing, just MSRP. They would not take 1 penny off MSRP. Paid full Monty for the 6 year warranty (don't remember the price, maybe around $1,500) and did not get a discount on first service. I did get a 15% discount on the upgrades I wanted. I traded the second love of my life (the wife being the first) on this 2017 and I must say no issues at all, bike is freaking awesome. Good luck to you. Please post pics, I do like the RK, sweet bike.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:14 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

My local dealer is much the same. The last time I bought a bike from Pikes Peak Harley Davidson was 1986. I wanted an M8 SGS badly! I spent a full Saturday with the clowns at PPHD. I ended up driving 300 miles to Grand Junction Harley Davidson. Their deal was $3.5k better than PPHD.

Both stores wanted to charge sticker price. The difference was in my trade, dealer prep, shipping, etc.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:58 PM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,320 Likes on 1,341 Posts

I would not accept MSRP or high add on fees. Unless you are just trapped in your locale it really makes no sense. Fortunately here in Atlanta I have enough choices to fill a google search page.

The dealer I bought from has 17s on their showroom floor showing MSRP and then their dealer price, which was always lower and not by just like five bucks

Old 10-07-2016, 08:11 PM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Best I could do with $13,500 Trade in from my 2011 CVO Ultra with 59K miles on her. This was the best of the 4 dealers in town.

The only option was Anti-Lock Brakes.. I can't live without Anti-Lock

Old 10-07-2016, 08:20 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by scottt
Suggestion: Go to the dealer you want to buy from, let them know that you are ready to buy right now if the deal is acceptable. Tell them what you want, remind them ( nicely ) that you will leave if the answer is no. Go from there but be willing to walk.

Expect to pay MSRP, that in my opinion is reasonable. Negotiable from there.

Dealers are motivated ( generally ) by right now buyers. If they are not, move on. I would bet you get close to what you want.
I don't know how much clearer $20K in cash on your person could be much clearer. MSRP is not by any stretch of the imagination reasonable. lolololololol

Old 10-08-2016, 08:28 AM
Gamma742
Road Warrior

Bikes can be had under MSRP ..the Road King MSRP is $18,999 without any options. Mine has Anti-lock Brakes and I clearly got it under MSRP. No dealer setup fees ..watch them closely, dealers like to charge whatever they want for Freight even though it clearly states in the sales brochure $435.

I showed this dealer on paper that another dealer was getting me the same bike for $7500 out the door with my trade. He said give me a chance to earn your business then beat them by $1000.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:47 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior

Guess I will have to drive the harley truck today instead of a new RK.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:29 AM
Gamma742
Road Warrior

Nice Truck!! Hope you get your King soon

Quick Reply: Did my first real shopping for a M8