Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 03:08 PM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Softy 103

Yeah but it is still all going back into the engine and creating carbon on top of pistons
You won't see the carbon on the piston tops.If there is any it will just increase your compression!

Old 01-09-2019, 04:29 PM
Long time rider
Banned
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Even if it did get on the tire, it would
not
be noticeable
It really shouldn’t be more than a drop a second or less. And that’s mostly frothy water
It is mainly water vapor that comes out when the engine is cold. As the engine warms up and cooks off the moisture in the crankcase the resulting vapor is almost nonexistent. When the engine sits overnight there are seldom any droplets that hit the floor and if there is it is water which evaporates. Seldom do I find a droplet of oil on the floor. In other words people think it is more of a problem that it turns out to be. One thing that probably helps in my situation is that I intentionally routed the hose that carries the vapor as close to the engine block as I could. My thinking was if the hose is very warm it is going to encourage a free flow all the way to the exit. I believe that has proven to be true and no the engine block does not get so hot as to even come close to melting the hose. The rear exhaust comes about 2" from the hose and there are no ill effects from its close proximity.

Last edited by Long time rider; 01-09-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:46 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
How does the oil get back into the crankcase with the one way umbrella valves and oil separator in the way?
we’re talking about liquid, right? If it found a way out. It will find a way back in.
Pressure pushing matter out of the crank case is minimal. It isn’t shooting it. Think stove top espresso pot.
I f pressure was intense, we be adding lube every ten miles.
But again. Oil for the most
part is denser than water and so it sits in the hose in a suspended state till the engine is turned off. Most of it will drain back or sit there holding a level. Not coming out of the filter. Try it (;

Old 01-09-2019, 04:52 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,746 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt

we’re talking about liquid, right? If it found a way out. It will find a way back in.
Pressure pushing matter out of the crank case is minimal. It isn’t shooting it. Think stove top espresso pot.
I f pressure was intense, we be adding lube every ten miles.
But again. Oil for the most
part is denser than water and so it sits in the hose in a suspended state till the engine is turned off. Most of it will drain back or sit there holding a level. Not coming out of the filter. Try it (;

Interesting. I've tried it and it doesn't work for me... which is how it was designed; to be one way. It just end up filling the tube up with milky watery oil and shooting it out the distant end.

Maybe others will have better luck.

Last edited by lp; 01-09-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:21 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

This is an alternative for not running it downward.
I once used a home made bypass that sat level with the intake and despite of my agressive throttleling, I would only notice a few drops during each ride. No puddles as some might think.
Elevating it will only result in even less. Add a long enough hose and I highly doubt any would come out. And, there is a filter at the end too.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:41 PM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 259 Likes on 168 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Peter Quinn

You won't see the carbon on the piston tops.If there is any it will just increase your compression!
You are correct, you won't see it unless you scope it or pull the heads, believe me I know from experience on my last 103 build that the **** that comes through the breather hoses and into the intake can and will cause build up to the point of causing pinging. Some engines are worse than others, but they all suck that stuff back into the intake and burn on to the top of HOT pistons and cause carbon build-up unless you re route it !!

Old 01-10-2019, 01:05 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

That!
And all that hot air and messy goo mixing with fuel robs your motor of useful power

The following users liked this post:
badcooky (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:12 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Softy 103
You are correct, you won't see it unless you scope it or pull the heads, believe me I know from experience on my last 103 build that the **** that comes through the breather hoses and into the intake can and will cause build up to the point of causing pinging. Some engines are worse than others, but they all suck that stuff back into the intake and burn on to the top of HOT pistons and cause carbon build-up unless you re route it !!
Could never happen!The carbon from the minescule amount of vapor and oil produced by the breather is irrelevant in the combustion cycle.Almost all of the carbon you see comes from the high volume fuel and cylinder oil burn.It amazes me that some people on these forums always know far better than the experts who build the bikes for 115 years! .... Just get the OEM extended breather pipe upgrade,plug them in and forget about fiddling with something that aint broke!
Also dont ever buy a Two Stroke

Old 01-11-2019, 09:20 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,637 Likes on 4,466 Posts

Could never happen!The carbon from the minescule amount of vapor and oil produced by the breather is irrelevant in the combustion cycle.Almost all of the carbon you see comes from the high volume fuel and cylinder oil burn.It amazes me that some people on these forums always know far better than the experts who build the bikes for 115 years! .... Just get the OEM extended breather pipe upgrade,plug them in and forget about fiddling with something that aint broke!
or learn how to jet one..always ran 32:1 Yamalube R in my YZ mx race bike way back in the days, doing new top end piston looked almost new on top..just sayin'

Old 01-11-2019, 09:39 AM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 259 Likes on 168 Posts

you just keep telling yourself how smart you are I have seen the before and after effects of the breathers going into the combustion chamber verses NOT!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Softy 103:
Sam D. (01-12-2019), thereal142 (03-19-2023)

Quick Reply: Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?