Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 08:57 AM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
I'm going to make my catch can out of this. It has a center divider in it that will have to be perforated, will make a good baffle. Fittings fitted to the caps, a bit of open cell foam stuffed in it. Will have to see how the S&S Naked works. I should be able to bring a line to say the right cap. Catch the snot in the can man and bring a line out of the left cap and let the light vapor vent back into the throttle bore.

What IS that bottle? I have never seen anything like it before. Looks like a collector's item! Sell it on ebay and buy a proper catch can for $25,

Old 01-21-2019, 09:08 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,744 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ88V
What IS that bottle? I have never seen anything like it before. Looks like a collector's item! Sell it on ebay and buy a proper catch can for $25,
Mosin Nagant dual oiler - bottle. Hopefully he think's your post is funny.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:29 AM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Mosin Nagant dual oiler - bottle. Hopefully he think's your post is funny.
Thanks, lp. I saw that answered in an earlier post (maybe by you?) but had already posted the question. Didn't realize the original post was already 2 years ago!

Still think it's a very cool piece - and maybe a collector's item. They're selling on ebay for $10. Might get me one. Or maybe not.

Glad this thread seems to be getting back on track after the turmoil several weeks ago. At least now we're (I'm) talking about oiler bottles and we're not calling people names.

New scoot supposed to show up tonight from Florida. I'll feel better when it's sitting in my garage and paperwork is in my hands. Cash is already gone....

Old 06-05-2019, 07:23 AM
jake24lt
Road Warrior
Received 1,296 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Quinn
Gunslinger, this inlet photo looks remarkably good,really not at all frightening,especially after 70000 Miles!
It looks OK because the fuel injector spraying fuel into the intake before combustion, keeps it relatively clean! Ask the automotive world about what happens to direct injection engine intake valves when the crankcase is vented into the intake ports with no fuel to keep the port and valves clean! The problem was so prevalent a few years back,that they had to add a secondary fuel injector in the intake ports to correct that problem. So,all that crap from the crankcase is not good for an engine. Oh, and by the way, they too were engineers.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:28 PM
Blackp5ca
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Switched intakes so had to start over on the external venting.
Old set up here..worked great just wanted a different look in terms of intake. Rode for about 10,000kms with this set up. Shocking how much sludge ends up in the catch can after a few hard rides.

New set up here, same chrome catch can. Had to drill and tap in some brass barbs, plug the existing routing and re-think some hoses but same end result. Works great and keeps the oily mess out of the throttle body.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:24 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas

Here's what I found when I pulled the filter after a long ride. I'm gonna run the oil level at half way on the dipstick and see if that helps at all.
That does not look like oil.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:37 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket67
That does not look like oil.
May mot look like oil, but its the **** that comes outta yer vent.
You dont want that **** in your intake nohow
Vent that biatch!

Old 10-16-2019, 02:04 AM
2018 lowrider M8
Tourer
Received 180 Likes on 114 Posts

just curious how many members here have externally vented their M8

Old 10-16-2019, 05:28 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,003 Likes on 1,731 Posts

Originally Posted by 2018 lowrider M8
just curious how many members here have externally vented their M8
I just cleaned my filter as part of my service (SE stage 1 filter) and decided that I’m going to go ahead and vent it. I plan on doing something like what was posted earlier in this thread ( pic below) instead of tapping fittings into the stand offs.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:02 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,074 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by cruisinmann
I don't have the answer but owning and flying aircraft for 30 yrs if its filled to the top level mark it will blow out 2 qts in 6-8 hrs everytime leave it at 2qt low mark stays there for next 30 hrs .Now it holds 12 qts of oil. Also air cooled engine. Not saying it relates but I know for fact with those engines it made a difference
This^^^
I fly a Beechcraft Baron with a pair of Continental IO-470 c.i. engines that call for 12 quarts on the dipstick. In no time t all at least a quart greases up the underside of the wings! Fill it to only 10.5 - 11 quarts and it doesn't do that. Oil pressures and temperatures remain normal - without the blowby and greasy wings.

On Harley's, it goes into you air filter, throttle body and sometimes on the right side of your bike. Stop putting 4 quarts in at oil changes.

Originally Posted by CR3999

Pull the stock hoses off and throw away.

Drill a hole in the location of your choice in the air box.

route to ground or install a catch can. Looking at the SE AC there will be some drilling the backing plate as they they reuse the same bolts as the stock air box. Also the air box is a lot closer the jug. There's not enough room do install like the twin cams, as there isn't enough room.

This is the way I did the by pass. Your plan my vary.
This ^^^
is exactly what I did on my 107 Road Glide - works like a charm with just a dime sized drop when parked after a long hard highway run.

Quick Reply: Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?