Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 03:03 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
FYI, my 19th Street Glide transmission cover is already vented from the factory. I would think of all the touring bikes are. See item 12 below

That’s a vent to the transmission, not the crank case. The Trask cover vents the crank case.

The following users liked this post:
NO_SPRK (02-28-2022)
Old 04-02-2021, 03:05 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,848 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
According to what Trask told me this eliminates the need to do anything else with the stock head breathers. I wasn’t getting any blow by before installing this just wanted to help prevent any oil getting sucked back into the throttle body.
So no more venting through the stock head breathers once the Trask unit is installed. Interesting.

250starbuck (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 03:08 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by OldMike
So no more venting through the stock head breathers once the Trask unit is installed. Interesting.
The stock head breathers still vent but according to trask they are not adequate especially if you’ve added cubic inches to the stock motor, their cover provides the vent needed for larger displacements

Old 04-02-2021, 03:14 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Quik
The stock head breathers still vent but according to trask they are not adequate especially if you’ve added cubic inches to the stock motor, their cover provides the vent needed for larger displacements
So the Trask breather is an enhancement to the stock breathers not a replacement.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:15 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,597 Likes on 4,448 Posts

my interpretation is the Trask cover is intended to be a preventative solution to reduce or eliminate the head breather combustion residue by relieving pressure elsewhere rendering the head breathers not being needed as much...the head breathers still serve the intended purpose they always have, just folks choose to reroute the mix of emissions elsewhere as a reactive 'solution' instead of being re-combusted mucking up the top end and causing excessive external dribble as well....like many aftermarket inventions they are building a better mouse trap to improve perceived OEM issues..some of the time they are successful, some times they are making money marketing things owners don't need

Old 04-02-2021, 03:24 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
my interpretation is the Trask cover is intended to be a preventative solution to reduce or eliminate the head breather combustion residue by relieving pressure elsewhere rendering the head breathers not being needed as much...the head breathers still serve the intended purpose they always have, just folks choose to reroute the mix of emissions elsewhere as a reactive 'solution' instead of being re-combusted mucking up the top end and causing excessive external dribble as well....like many aftermarket inventions they are building a better mouse trap to improve perceived OEM issues..some of the time they are successful, some times they are making money marketing things owners don't need
I opted to stay with the stock breathers on my 131" although I added a second small O-ring to help with sealing when I installed them. I also left my original homemade breather bypass in place since it was just some water vapor coming through the hose when I keep my oil level at 1/2 way on the dip stick and using the latest Harley oil pump.
If things get messy I'll look into the Trask.

mjwebb (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 04:00 PM
SoCaRider
Road Captain
Received 207 Likes on 151 Posts

I opted to stay with the stock breathers on my 131" although I added a second small O-ring to help with sealing when I installed them. I also left my original homemade breather bypass in place since it was just some water vapor coming through the hose when I keep my oil level at 1/2 way on the dip stick and using the latest Harley oil pump.
If things get messy I'll look into the Trask.
I'm really surprised @ how much water vapor I get

OldMike (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 04:06 PM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,412 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
FYI, my 19th Street Glide transmission cover is already vented from the factory. I would think of all the touring bikes are. See item 12 below

The Trask cover maintains the trans vent, which is item 12 in the parts diagram you posted, and adds a separate vent for the crankcase.

Old 04-02-2021, 04:08 PM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,412 Likes on 2,237 Posts

I shouldn't have waited, lol.

Originally Posted by Trask website
THE CHECK M8 IS CURRENTLY OUT OF STOCK. WE KNEW THIS PRODUCT WOULD BE VERY POPULAR HOWEVER WE DIDN'T EXPECT FOR THEM TO SELL OUT AS FAST AS THEY DID. THEY ARE IN PRODUCTION AND WE ARE HOPING TO HAVE THE NEXT BATCH READY TO SHIP IN EARLY APRIL. ORDERS WILL BE SHIPPED IN THE ORDER THAT THEY WERE PLACED..

Ddieselsmoke (04-06-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 04:13 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 702
I shouldn't have waited, lol.
Looks like it was a hit! I’m glad I grabbed mine at their tent in Daytona, plus got very nice discount!

Quick Reply: Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?