Sponsored by:

Squeaky/Whistling motor at idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 06:47 AM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Squeaky/Whistling motor at idle

I've noticed the bike is either squeaking or whistling at idle. I though it was an engine mount problem but it sounds more like it's coming from the motor itself. It goes away with any increase in throttle so I really have no idea what could possibly be the issue. Has anyone else experienced this? I searched this forum for whistle and squeak and didn't find anything so I'm guessing this isn't a prevalent issue.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:57 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,792 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Try hitting your top motor mount with some wd40 and see if that changes anything.
I found my left front mount collapsed and it put a bunch of pressure on the top mount which squeeked.
Not saying that is your problem but something to try.

The following users liked this post:
Gadgetech (11-21-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 09:19 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetech
I've noticed the bike is either squeaking or whistling at idle. I though it was an engine mount problem but it sounds more like it's coming from the motor itself. It goes away with any increase in throttle so I really have no idea what could possibly be the issue. Has anyone else experienced this? I searched this forum for whistle and squeak and didn't find anything so I'm guessing this isn't a prevalent issue.
This may not help you. But I noticed a whistling noise after I installed the HD heavy breather, but it has gone away after about 700 miles.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:29 AM
Gadgetech
Club Member

I am taking a wait and see approach. If it still does it by the time for the first service, I'll mention it then.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:23 PM
rad440
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetech
I am taking a wait and see approach. If it still does it by the time for the first service, I'll mention it then.
Hey did you ever figure out where it was coming from. My 17 SGS is doing the same exact thing and its driving me nuts. Can't seem to pin point it. Took the heat shields off the exhaust thinking they were the culprit but not the case...wtf

Old 05-20-2017, 10:11 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,851 Likes on 4,573 Posts

my buddy who also has a RK said he's noticed a hissing noise from the gas cap..mine doesn't, no idea if this could be what you're hearing or not tho..did hear a whistling noise the other night when I pulled into the garage, first time riding it in the rain, isolated it to the oil cooler fan, put my hand over the front of it and the noise stopped..weird, not sure what that's all about

Last edited by mjwebb; 05-20-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:14 AM
Gadgetech
Club Member

Originally Posted by rad440
Hey did you ever figure out where it was coming from. My 17 SGS is doing the same exact thing and its driving me nuts. Can't seem to pin point it. Took the heat shields off the exhaust thinking they were the culprit but not the case...wtf
No, I mentioned it to the dealership during the first service and they said they couldn't hear it even though I told them the engine had to be warmed up and running for awhile. Said they would lube the motor mounts but it didn't make a difference.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:23 AM
rad440
6th Gear

OK Thanks i was hoping you figured it out. i have 700 miles til my 1st service,if i don't find it by then i will see what the dealer says. Its really difficult to pin point its exact location, it sounds kinda like its sucking air from somewhere. i messed around with the air cleaner thinking it wasn't set properly but that didnt help. Maybe some kind of vacuum leak?Very frustrating, i have a trip planned to Washington DC for Memorial day weekend so if it dosent work itself out when i return i think im going to dig a little deeper and start taking my bike apart. Bike runs great,just driving me nuts!

Old 05-21-2017, 08:11 AM
rad440
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mjwebb
my buddy who also has a RK said he's noticed a hissing noise from the gas cap..mine doesn't, no idea if this could be what you're hearing or not tho..did hear a whistling noise the other night when I pulled into the garage, first time riding it in the rain, isolated it to the oil cooler fan, put my hand over the front of it and the noise stopped..weird, not sure what that's all about
Not the gas cap. im never that lucky, that would be to easy.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:14 PM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts

Another place to look for a source of a squeak is the rubber muffler mounts under the saddlebags.
Engine mounts, heat shields, or muffler mounts would be my guess...

Quick Reply: Squeaky/Whistling motor at idle