Sponsored by:

Oil Filters

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 04:18 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
...the point was mainly, since they all in fact will work, and are similarly priced, why even bother taking a chance with your expensive motorcycle, especially under warranty.
and the answer is that the K&N has a nut on the end of it that I find really handy

Your mileage may differ

Old 12-09-2016, 04:26 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't

Old 12-09-2016, 04:40 PM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,457 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Fact is, you don't really know what goes on in that little disposable can while you're out riding around. Are the pleats all glued down properly? Is the bypass valve stuck open? Is there a hole in the media? Etc...

Realize also that the moco engineers put out a spec for the lowest priced, technically acceptable filter, and the filter company that returned the lowest bid is manufacturing them. That's the way of business nowadays. Airplanes, cars, and motorcycle manufacturing included.

Use whatever makes you happy.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:46 PM
hikervt
Banned
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by hikervt; 12-12-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:54 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tired
Fact is, you don't really know what goes on in that little disposable can while you're out riding around. Are the pleats all glued down properly? Is the bypass valve stuck open? Is there a hole in the media? Etc...

Realize also that the moco engineers put out a spec for the lowest priced, technically acceptable filter, and the filter company that returned the lowest bid is manufacturing them. That's the way of business nowadays. Airplanes, cars, and motorcycle manufacturing included.

Use whatever makes you happy.
right..but in the extremely rare event you have a problem that is traced to being oil filter related and results in a toasted engine..well, that $6000 engine is on the MoCo and not you..just sayin'. it's all up to everyone to do what they please..I'm just one that weighs the risk / reward and it favors OEM for me..going to be a long Winter...sad when instead of riding I'm sitting around debating the merits of air and oil filters...hey, at least this isn't another engine oil conversation Thank God

Last edited by mjwebb; 12-09-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:00 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

right..but in the extremely rare event you have a problem that is traced to being oil filter related and results in a toasted engine..well, that $6000 engine is on the MoCo and not you..just sayin'. it's all up to everyone to do what they please..I'm just one that weighs the risk / reward and it favors OEM for me..going to be a long Winter...sad when instead of riding I'm sitting around debating the merits of air and oil filters...hey, at least this isn't another engine oil conversation Thank God
actually, from my seat anyway, you're the only one making it a debate... sad or not.

I asked if it fit.

That question was answered.

You asked an additional question and have, in at least two subsequent posts, felt the need to repeat your stance.

I personally have absolutely no problem with you continuing to use Harley Davidson brand oil filters.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:12 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rjjj629
actually, from my seat anyway, you're the only one making it a debate... sad or not.

I asked if it fit.

That question was answered.

You asked an additional question and have, in at least two subsequent posts, felt the need to repeat your stance.

I personally have absolutely no problem with you continuing to use Harley Davidson brand oil filters.
yeah, my bad..I did get headed sideways here..picked up the bad habit from the College Football Forum I'm on..topics start out as QB ratings and end up being about where the best strip clubs are in Topeka

Old 12-09-2016, 05:25 PM
UnleashedBeast
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
Thanks for the info. Others can do what they want. But I decided a long time ago to stick with OEM oil filters for everything. Biggest reason being that the pressure relief valve is set to a specific value for the OEM filters. If you buy something else it may or may not be the correct value. Why chance it?
This debate is never ending, no matter if I am on a performance car site, or here. Oil filter specs of the bypass valve can vary, but I bet not enough to make a hill of beans difference once the oil is at proper operating temps. If you think about it, all engines need oil flow, so why would filter manufacturers have to greatly vary this specification? There is plenty of range for tolerance that will apply here.

I can't find a single reference in this whole thread that says anything about any aftermarket filter not being good...the point was mainly, since they all in fact will work, and are similarly priced, why even bother taking a chance with your expensive motorcycle, especially under warranty.

re: "From Fram on up there all good." interesting that your reference starts with Fram and they go up from there.....hmmmm
Cheap oil filters, like Fram's "orange" filters are the only filters I have seen fail and nearly kill an engine. Had a friend buy a 2001 WS6 Trans Am stupid cheap (3K) because the owner thought the motor was blown up (knocking). When the car was on the ramps prepping for tear down, the Fram orange filter was noticed. It was immediately removed and replaced with a better filter....and oil change. Car ran great, no knocking. He sold the car for 10K and pocketed the difference.

Your first statement about, why stray from OEM? Easy, because the aftermarket offers things the OEM filter may not have. Nano-fiber (microglass) media. Research it, and you will never use cheap cellulose or synthetic cellulose media again. It can trap smaller micron particles, yet produce no additional resistance to flow. Common filters on the market that offer this are Amsoil, Royal Purple, and PureOne's top filter.

Last edited by UnleashedBeast; 12-09-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:39 PM
Beltdriven
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default on the throne

I can't find a single reference in this whole thread that says anything about any aftermarket filter not being good...the point was mainly, since they all in fact will work, and are similarly priced, why even bother taking a chance with your expensive motorcycle, especially under warranty.

re: "From Fram on up there all good." interesting that your reference starts with Fram and they go up from there.....hmmmm

now you'll have to excuse me as I must adjourn to my 'throne'
Finished your business now have a strong one and relax just like I'm doing.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:49 AM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Received 213 Likes on 128 Posts

The never ending debate (s) .. oil .. oil filters .. tires .. gear or no gear

But
This is a good read

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html

Last edited by sumncguy; 06-24-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil Filters