Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSA: Don't buy a Craftsman jack

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 10:57 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Had a Sears Yellow jack. It broke down with my bike in the air. Took 4 guys and a lot of wrestling to get it back down. Rolled it to the curb for the junk man to pick up. Bought a J&S and it's the best investment I've ever made in a bike accessory.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:59 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

I had to use a couple of 2x4's on my Street Bob. It did have Burly Slammers on the rear but it would clear my wife's Wide Glide with stock suspension.
As lp said earlier put it upright when trying to slide the jack under. I bet that will do the trick.

I will add that when the bike is up in the air lower the jack to the stop. The hydraulic ram is not designed to hold the weight for long periods of time. Should last you years & years that way. A little TLC helps things last typically.

Last edited by BigDogIdaho; 12-31-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:05 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

My Harbor Frieght jack just croaked, bought a red Craftsman. Slides under my Fatboy just fine. YMMV, esp with a Dyna.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:50 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,278 Likes on 6,249 Posts

This is a stupid question but I will ask anyway. I have an irrational fear of the bike falling off the jack in the process of jacking it up by myself.

How do you get the bike on the jack and lifted up? What I mean is the bike is leaning to the left on the jiffy stand, so how do you do this if you are by yourself. I am not sure if I explained the dilemma adequately.

Last edited by Prot; 12-31-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:57 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

I place my jack in position on the right side of the bike. I stand over the bike, stand the bike up straight, grab the jack handle and slide the jack under. I then take the jack handle out and use it to pump the jack up, until the bike is supported. Then I get off the bike and finish jacking it up/ securing with straps if needed.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:12 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,278 Likes on 6,249 Posts

Originally Posted by bad tappets
I place my jack in position on the right side of the bike. I stand over the bike, stand the bike up straight, grab the jack handle and slide the jack under. I then take the jack handle out and use it to pump the jack up, until the bike is supported. Then I get off the bike and finish jacking it up/ securing with straps if needed.
I don't think I am coordinated enough for that. Just three days ago I was getting ready to go to lunch and when I got by the foot of my bed my legs got weak and buckled and I landed flat on back on the floor. It sucks getting old.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:15 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

My J&S is the best lift I've ever used, worth every penny

Old 12-31-2016, 12:19 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
This is a stupid question but I will ask anyway. I have an irrational fear of the bike falling off the jack in the process of jacking it up by myself.

How do you get the bike on the jack and lifted up? What I mean is the bike is leaning to the left on the jiffy stand, so how do you do this if you are by yourself. I am not sure if I explained the dilemma adequately.
When the jack is slid under from the right side, make sure the arm bars are extended out past the left side of the frame. When you start to lift it, it will lean right (off the kick stand) and will level itself out. I've always been in the habit of holding the right grip when lifting and lowering back down

Old 12-31-2016, 12:51 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,003 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
As lp said earlier put it upright when trying to slide the jack under. I bet that will do the trick.
Someone else suggested that earlier and I replied. That's the first thing I tried and it doesn't fit.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:54 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,003 Likes on 597 Posts

I looked up the mod where you move the lifting slabs to the outside. I went to Home Depot and got all the proper bolts. Gonna try that and see if it works. If not, I'll get some pieces of wood to make up the difference. I won't use a jack enough to justify the additional $300 + Shipping and this jack should be just fine.

Quick Reply: PSA: Don't buy a Craftsman jack