Sponsored by:

M8 Heel Toe Shift

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 01:04 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,606 Likes on 4,453 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Sorry you are so thin skinned.. It wasn't directed at yourself or anyone but at me..

BTW.. The heel shifter off the back looks like a good idea. While I don't care for heel shifters, one that hangs off the back could be used for finding neutral on the M8s as it seems to take a little more force to get the in neutral. For guys that like to use heel shifters, it looks like the way to go.. For me they would not be so good for touring as I like to move my feet all over the floor board..
just seemed like this topic and context from a new guy was being treated like a "what's the best oil to use" thread

Old 01-24-2017, 01:48 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,003 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
after reluctantly giving heel / toe shifting a try I came around to it for a few years..but just went back to normal with my extended floorboards and shifter..I'm 6'3" with long legs and bad left knee..I needed to stretch forward instead of bending my knee up and back to heel shift...I much prefer 'normal' these days..have it adjusted so my tallest pair of boots fits under the shifter and don't have to lift my boot off the floorboard to shift, and I can rest my heel on the floorboards and toes on the highway pegs

I do exactly the same things.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:24 PM
King_David
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, all, for the advice on dealing with the heel shift lever. I'm also not finding it easy to adjust to. Now I see that I have several alternatives: Remove the lever and cap the shaft (to protect those wingtips, dontcha know) @ $18 for the cap, or replace the lever with an extended version @ $32, or (I just discovered) replace the lever with one having a peg that folds back @ $80.

Does anyone have experience with the folding heel shifter?

thanks, Dave

2017 Road King

Old 01-24-2017, 05:06 PM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 776 Likes on 499 Posts

Some love the heal shifter some hate the heal shifter I am one that removed it immediately. I've no experience with the folding heal shifter.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:16 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

I didn't hate it but thought I would take it off and try this solo from Arlen Ness, glad I did because I love it now.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:23 PM
WAYJO
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the folding heel shifter. Had it on my 2012 limited and now transferred it to my 2017 RGU. Stays completely out of the way but is still there if I decide I want it. Sometimes finding neutral is easier with the heel shifter. I find it to be a good compromise.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:42 PM
DesertMan
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did find finding neutral sometimes difficult with the M8 with toe and impossible with heal, but again, I am inexperienced with heal shifters.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:14 PM
bikermikee
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Took mine off my Heritage and never looked back. When I get my glide in the spring, the heel shifter will be off before I leave the showroom. I tend to use all the floorboard, can't stand having lots of room to travel on the right board but only inches on the left. It keeps the whole nostalgia look but for my taste it's really impractical. It's basically the appendix of the bike.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:04 AM
imchuckm
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertMan
I did find finding neutral sometimes difficult with the M8 with toe and impossible with heal, but again, I am inexperienced with heal shifters.
When I first bought my 2005 Ultra Classic I found it a little difficult to find neutral until I got used to it. Then I picked up my 2017 Limited, and found the same difficulties. After a few days of still having problems, I made one change. I moved the rear lever to it's lowest position where it would still shift. Amazing difference. Finding neutral is a snap every time I need it.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:09 AM
Ashnic
Road Warrior
Received 270 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by imchuckm
When I first bought my 2005 Ultra Classic I found it a little difficult to find neutral until I got used to it. Then I picked up my 2017 Limited, and found the same difficulties. After a few days of still having problems, I made one change. I moved the rear lever to it's lowest position where it would still shift. Amazing difference. Finding neutral is a snap every time I need it.
Just did the same thing to my 17 Road Glide this past weekend..huge difference..

Quick Reply: M8 Heel Toe Shift