Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 Dying? The whir grrr whir clatter clatter

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 07:53 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,003 Likes on 597 Posts

Honestly, I think you may be exaggerating the noise and drain plug appearance a bit. Taking it to the dealer will tell the tale. Good luck.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:53 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 604 Likes on 418 Posts

Warm and cold CCR seems low for a stock M8. Should pump well over 200 lbs.
Bob

Old 01-31-2017, 03:07 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Stayed up to 3 am this morning and figured out what the whir and grinding noise was. The front engine lower mount bolt had came loose. Was making a harmonic that was interacting real bad with the cell phone mic that was amplifying the counter balance gear interface. Torqued it back to spec and all that noise is gone. Still had a clatter and banging type noise. Was random in nature. With a back ground fluttering noise.

I made my mind up to ride the bike to the dealer first am. I bagged up the jug I put the old oil in. Bagged up the oil filter and all the rags I used to wipe the drain plugs off with and the rag I used to wipe out the drain pan this morning. Loaded up the bike and was there when they opened up.

Spoke with the service manager and the lead tech. The bike sounded ok but still a bit loud at idle. The tech took it for a ride and heard the other noise's. They opened up a work order with Harley. Tech took it into the shop and stripped the seat and tank off. Tech called the MoCo. MoCo asked him to do a few things of which he did. Called them back with his findings. Tech told me my compression gauge is reading low so I threw it away when I got home. Was told the kind of muck and mess on the tranny and primary plugs was normal but the amount was not normal. The engine oil plug was clean. But the over all shear amount of metal was heavy. The MoCo ask them to inspect the plug wires and and put dielectric grease in the boots. That stopped one of the noises. Apparently there have been some bikes arching off the plug boots and it sounds like a banging noise. So that is gone.

Over all it went well. They told me to keep on riding it and bring it back in at 1000 to 1200 miles and they will test it again. If it's the same or worse they will replace the motor or what ever it takes to get it 100%. They assured me they would turn the bike around in hurry for me. Bottom line something is wrong. But it just has not presented it's self in full yet. The MoCo did not want the engine torn down or pulled yet.

Everybody from the dealer to the MoCo was great! Everything was top notch. Every move that was made was explained to me in full as if my bike was a new born baby having some issues. Right down to the calls to the MoCo. They assured me I had done nothing to the bike that would of harmed it in anyway. They were OK with the slip-ons and the FP3 and had no issue at all with the V&H VO2 Naked going on the bike when Fuel-Moto gets it shipped to me. I was up front and honest with them about finding the rev limiter and the hard launch I did on it last night. They laughed and last words told to me was ride it like you stole it. With over 700 miles on it now. I think I will take them up on it. Just the ride to my dealer and back with there testing was 185 miles.

Looks like one way or the other it will be taken care of.

The following 2 users liked this post by psyshack:
G'day (04-23-2017), MTBIG G (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 03:31 PM
goose222
Road Master
Received 139 Likes on 79 Posts

That sounds like you have a good dealer

Old 01-31-2017, 04:16 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by goose222
That sounds like you have a good dealer
They were straight up Johnny on the spot!

Old 01-31-2017, 05:36 PM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 776 Likes on 499 Posts

Not good to hear of you're engine problems but really sounds like you're tech , dealer and MOCO are standing for whats right.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:52 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

well, at least the angle of the dangle was not a problem

Old 01-31-2017, 06:17 PM
TRMN8TR
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I would tell them you want that motor replaced now before your limited riding season begins.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:10 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,544 Posts

i'd run the ***** off of it and when the motor really gets loud to them to order you one, then come back when it comes in. ride it for as long as you can or until you decide to travel on it.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:09 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,624 Likes on 4,462 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
Was making a harmonic that was interacting real bad with the cell phone mic that was amplifying the counter balance gear interface. Still had a clatter and banging type noise. With a back ground fluttering noise.
sure sounds like the molecular twangulator or high flutenator to me!

Quick Reply: M8 Dying? The whir grrr whir clatter clatter