Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brandon's 2017 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 07:38 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,418 Posts

45* on the ride to work this morning (30* at 75 mph) and the LRS shield helped so much! I wore my half helmet and my face wasn't even cold. The wind noise was reduced so much I could actually hear my exhaust for the first time while riding. I could probably go up to a 9" and still see over it, but I don't like the look. I'll stick with the 7" and slouch when I need to reduce the wind anymore.

The $12 clearance, fleece-lined jeans I bought helped more than I thought, too. My thighs didn't get cold - they don't get direct wind - and my shins - which catch all the wind - were fine.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:45 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,213 Likes on 6,226 Posts

You will regret that headlight. Knockoffs tend to be unfocused and the beam pattern isn't the greatest.

The two best brands for LED headlights are Truck Lite and JW Speaker.

The Truck Lite is the best value and is almost as good as JW Speaker but uses different technology.

JW Speaker makes two types of led headlights. The regular one is has been a while and performance is slightly better than Truck Lite.

The other type is fairly new and is called Adaptive. The beam pattern changes as you lean which makes a huge difference in curves and turns. The two bad things about the adaptive light are the high price and unusual appearance.

The knock off lights are bad enough that they are responsible for many people dismissing all led headlights as crappy.

I belong to the Jeep community and lighting is a big deal with that group.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:11 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,693 Likes on 827 Posts

First of all, great bike and nice detailed thread to monitor progress, I wish I would have thought of this, I have done numerous upgrades over the past 2 years.

I noticed your license plate frame. I had a similar one, it was awfully ugly. I found the curved plate frame on the forums. Man what a difference. Check it out. I think it would clean up your back real nice for like $40. Keep up the good work.

The following 3 users liked this post by Magnut1:
Clay Rocker (05-19-2019), psc (05-04-2017), SG_Lefty (06-08-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 01:35 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by Magnut1
First of all, great bike and nice detailed thread to monitor progress, I wish I would have thought of this, I have done numerous upgrades over the past 2 years.

I noticed your license plate frame. I had a similar one, it was awfully ugly. I found the curved plate frame on the forums. Man what a difference. Check it out. I think it would clean up your back real nice for like $40. Keep up the good work.
Dude, you're in Toledo? I grew up there and moved to Texas four years ago after I graduated from UT. I know exactly where that picture was taken too! Just off of Hill Avenue. I went to Waite.........

Thanks for the info on the license plate bracket, I think I will upgrade!

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 03-30-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:42 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by Prot
You will regret that headlight. Knockoffs tend to be unfocused and the beam pattern isn't the greatest.

The two best brands for LED headlights are Truck Lite and JW Speaker.

The Truck Lite is the best value and is almost as good as JW Speaker but uses different technology.

JW Speaker makes two types of led headlights. The regular one is has been a while and performance is slightly better than Truck Lite.

The other type is fairly new and is called Adaptive. The beam pattern changes as you lean which makes a huge difference in curves and turns. The two bad things about the adaptive light are the high price and unusual appearance.

The knock off lights are bad enough that they are responsible for many people dismissing all led headlights as crappy.

I belong to the Jeep community and lighting is a big deal with that group.
Thanks for that info, I like to know how things work (I'm an engineer, I like details). I chose the Sunpie because I don't want the best. I bought in the middle-ground of cheap lights trying to get the best bargain. Anything is going to be better than stock. I have an HID Hi/Lo setup I could put in, but I don't have projector housing - this Sunpie housing may work for that if the LED output isn't as high as I hoped. Though, the light output may be scattered.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:49 PM
Prot
Club Member

The knock off LED's often are worse than stock.

I run Truck Lites in my old bike and the price isn't bad.

https://www.drivetrainamerica.com/tr...gler-cj-tj-jk/

I went with three piece kit for my Heritage.

https://www.drivetrainamerica.com/tr...5-pass-lights/

If the JW Speaker adaptive lights would not look so weird and expensive I would get them.

http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/ad...8790-adaptive/

The black version of the adaptive one doesn't look too too bad.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:57 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Why did you go with the reflector vs a projector?

Old 03-30-2017, 05:51 PM
Prot
Club Member

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
Why did you go with the reflector vs a projector?
At the time, the JW Speakers were more than twice the price of Truck Lites. I had used Truck Lites on Jeeps before and was happy with them,

I am still happy with them, but I like the adaptive ones, but their price and strange appearance are a turnoff for a very traditional bike like a Heritage.

Also the truck Lites give a slightly wider beam.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:05 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Oh, yeah... Don't forget to order the adapter harness for the headlight!
Amazon Amazon

Old 04-05-2017, 08:35 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Compared to stock, the Sunpie LED is at least twice as bright. Really, I think this is the best $60 I've spent on the bike so far - and that's after buying all my wind deflectors and LRS windshield! It's really phenomenal. And yes, it's cheap, yes it may not have the best LEDs, and the light is spotty 10' in front of me. WHO CARES! For $60 it's the best money I've put into the bike.

The light output has a distinct cutoff line, very wide pattern (maybe twice as wide as stock), it projects for days in front of the bike, it's true white light, and it's bright. Everything I could ask for.

Quick Reply: Brandon's 2017 FLHX