Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   Brandon's 2017 FLHX (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1164112-brandons-2017-flhx.html)

BrandonSmith 06-22-2017 09:12 AM

Well, 5000 miles came and went! Loving every minute on this bike.

I've noticed that the stock seat is starting to feel different, a little less comfortable.

I've been playing with the shock lately, and I found that lower is more comfortable, but there's definitely a minimum. Somewhere between 2 and 5 is alright, but there's not much variation I notice.

Gas mileage has improved to 40 mph consistently. Thankfully, I've had no lubricant transfer between transmission and primary, and all my fluid levels have remained where they were after the 1000 mile service.

BrandonSmith 06-22-2017 09:23 AM

And... I got use that Scorpion rain gear this morning. Works very well! Dry as a bone after 100 miles in consistent rain. The pants cuff fit tight around my boots and the legs are not parachutes, so they didn't touch any hot parts of the bike. The pants have two patches for grip on the rear that were noticeably doing their job. The pants also come up a good ways around my mid section, creating a good overlap with the jacket. The jacket cuff stayed put around the base of my gloves, and the bottom of the jacket has a pull string that kept the jacket tight against my waist, which kept any updraft and rain from entering. The collar impressed me the most, as I didn't have a drop of rain on the collar of my shirt. For $50, that rain gear is a steal.

BrandonSmith 06-22-2017 12:08 PM

Got all my 5k service junk sitting and waiting here now. Rain all weekend - perfect weather for working on the bike. If you can't be on it, be under it!

mjwebb 06-22-2017 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith (Post 16363153)
If you can't be on it, be under it!

make sure you put the kickstand out first so you're not..lol

BrandonSmith 06-22-2017 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by mjwebb (Post 16363169)
make sure you put the kickstand out first so you're not..lol

lol I'll try to be under it only when it's supported by a jack. (Insert joke about jack being a Craftsman...)

PSU 06-22-2017 08:55 PM

Looks good man.

mjwebb 06-22-2017 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith (Post 16363410)
lol I'll try to be under it only when it's supported by a jack. (Insert joke about jack being a Craftsman...)

no joke here..I ain't got 'Jack'

BrandonSmith 06-24-2017 12:44 PM

I completed the 5k service yesterday in the 94°F, 90% humidity heat - lost 4 lbs of sweat through it all. Took me about 4 hours from prep to completion. Too exhausted to post any details right now, but it went off without a hitch - just remember to stuff shop towels under the oil filter next time!

Retrop 06-24-2017 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith (Post 16369979)
I completed the 5k service yesterday in the 94°F, 90% humidity heat - lost 4 lbs of sweat through it all. Took me about 4 hours from prep to completion. Too exhausted to post any details right now, but it went off without a hitch - just remember to stuff shop towels under the oil filter next time!

Ya, those oil filters are a real "mother dog" aren't they? Evidently the Harley crack engineering staff must feel that if they move that fu oil filter the engine will automatically grenade.

I "though" surely after coming up with a whole new M8 engine they would have taken the opportunity to redesign the oil filter so it didn't puke all over the place. That just shows what thinking will get ya.

imchuckm 06-25-2017 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith (Post 16369979)

I little trick I learned when reading the instructions with an aftermarket oil deflector I bought helps with the oil change. When I received the plastic piece that goes under the filter before removal, it included a nail. Not knowing what the nail was used for, I read the instructions and it said to punch a nail hole in the top of the filter before you loosen it. Then turn the filter 180 degrees and let the oil drain out the hole before removing the filter completely. Guess what, it worked pretty well. Minimal mess.: :icon_lol: