Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   Brandon's 2017 FLHX (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1164112-brandons-2017-flhx.html)

teedoff65 04-13-2018 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith (Post 17271787)
A few months ago, I started to notice some “grinding” noise down behind the cam cover at my right foot... it’s starting to sound a little more metal-on-metal... might be taking it in to get looked at! Is it normal?

Besides that, I’ve always had a slight pull to the left, but after changing tires, it’s much worse. I didn’t change the tires but the shop has tried everything with the rear wheel alignment but it continues to pull hard left. Any suggestions?

My bike had a hard pull left as well since the day I bought it. I started a thread here somewhere, but not sure I've updated it.

What I did find when swapping out my bars was, all the cables under the riser gauges were zip tied in bundles. Changing bars I had to cut those to give a little more slack. That seemed to improve the pull greatly. It still pulls a touch, but nothing I cant manage with just a slight lean to the right, or more weight in the right bag. Before nothing like that was correcting.

Hope thats all your's is as well.

BrandonSmith 04-13-2018 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by mjwebb (Post 17271794)
no...wasn't there and then it is..something changed that shouldn't have

Well... the problem is, I’ve always ridden with ear plugs (minus a few occasions). This past weekend, I wasn’t wearing plugs and I heard the noise and it may sound different than what I’ve heard before... to me it sounds like a dry bearing. Is that cam bearing in an oil bath? Lubricated and sealed/shielded?

BrandonSmith 05-24-2018 06:26 PM

My oil light came on yesterday as I pulled in the garage: 14,866 miles on the bike. Checked diagnostics codes and I have P0522 (oil pressure sensor low voltage) and P0523 (oil pressure too high)! Oil level is fine, just a dot below full when hot. Im guessing when i take it in, theyll replace the oil pressure sensor. I also need to have them check out the powertrain noise while I’m at it... oh, and the transmission fluid transfer... and the muffler baffler rattle...

P.S. The new website formatting doesn't work with my iPhone autocorrect, so forgive my typing errors.

Retrop 05-24-2018 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith (Post 17386068)
My oil light came on yesterday as I pulled in the garage: 14,866 miles on the bike. Checked diagnostics codes and I have P0522 (oil pressure sensor low voltage) and P0523 (oil pressure too high)! Oil level is fine, just a dot below full when hot. Im guessing when i take it in, theyll replace the oil pressure sensor. I also need to have them check out the powertrain noise while I’m at it... oh, and the transmission fluid transfer... and the muffler baffler rattle...

P.S. The new website formatting doesn't work with my iPhone autocorrect, so forgive my typing errors.

I had the same codes as you. They did not replace the oil pressure sensor because they said it was doing what it was supposed to do. They did replace oil pump, cam, lifters and cam bearings.

BrandonSmith 05-25-2018 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Retrop (Post 17386622)
I had the same codes as you. They did not replace the oil pressure sensor because they said it was doing what it was supposed to do. They did replace oil pump, cam, lifters and cam bearings.

So what led them to replacing all that? I called my local dealer and they didn’t seem too worried about it.

Retrop 05-25-2018 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith (Post 17387684)
So what led them to replacing all that? I called my local dealer and they didn’t seem too worried about it.

The cam chest was getting noisy. The factory told them to pull the camshaft and look for signs of wear. They did that and the lobes on the cam and the lifter rollers were both showing some "frosting". I know they were suspecting a faulty oil pump as the cause, although they never said as much. They sent out a new cam, bearings, lifters, oil pump, pushrods and gaskets and all is quiet now. I have lost count on how many oil pumps they have re-issued as of now. I think they must be on at least the 4th or 5th generation for the M8 engine. Most of the bad oil pumps were for twin cooled bikes initially, but it turns out that some of the oil cooled pumps were having problems too.

BrandonSmith 05-26-2018 07:41 AM

Dang! I’ve notice the cam chest noise over the past couple months, but wasn’t sure if that was because I had my earplugs out or not... Not looking forward to being off the bike while they fix this - it’s my daily driver.

tbob 05-26-2018 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Retrop (Post 17387706)
The cam chest was getting noisy. The factory told them to pull the camshaft and look for signs of wear. They did that and the lobes on the cam and the lifter rollers were both showing some "frosting". I know they were suspecting a faulty oil pump as the cause, although they never said as much. They sent out a new cam, bearings, lifters, oil pump, pushrods and gaskets and all is quiet now. I have lost count on how many oil pumps they have re-issued as of now. I think they must be on at least the 4th or 5th generation for the M8 engine. Most of the bad oil pumps were for twin cooled bikes initially, but it turns out that some of the oil cooled pumps were having problems too.

Do you think it's possible during assembly the wrong oil pumps got put in the wrong bikes? I think we are on oil pump number seven. If they knew that could happen they would have never said a word and just fix them as they came back with problems. Or the wrong pump numbers were stamped on the pumps. Just trying to figure out why some have problems and some don't.

lp 05-26-2018 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by tbob (Post 17389272)
Just trying to figure out why some have problems and some don't.

When you figure it out, tell HD.

BrandonSmith 06-01-2018 09:53 PM

Well, she’s all loaded up on the trailer ready to head to Longhorn HD in the morning... I was told by the service manager that if there’s any engine noise at all to not ride it. So, they’ll be investigating the engine codes and noise, and I’ll be having them replace the left Street Cannon this go around (had the right replaced six months ago). I will also be having them check out the transmission fluid migration as well, since I’ve had some transfer during my ride to the Three Sisters. They’ll be busy this week.

This might be a good time for me to consider extending my warranty since it expires in January.