Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 08:41 AM
plasmadaddy
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by WristpinKnock
Same for me. Loved my Streetglide, but missed the wind in my face riding (as opposed to the ‘glide’s helmet buffet!) Now I have open air riding and a removable windshield for cooler weather. Best of both worlds!

PS. Love the red and your Wild1 bars.
Me three!

Old 03-15-2018, 11:08 AM
chilidipper
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Congrats on great bike, have funn Mod'n her up.

The following users liked this post:
voxmortis (03-18-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 11:25 AM
Hagg22
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi guys. I’ve ordered my new bars. Decided on Wild1 Dresser bars (0504). Also got their Roser Adapters (0806) on their rec. will post pics if install and finish product. Wondering if any of you who have replaced your bars could answer a few questions I have.
1. Not sure if this bar requires extensions for wires. Have a call in to Wild1 for that answer.
2. Terminal pin disconnect tool. I read some folks just use a thick paper clip to disconnect the connectors from the wires. Any idea which connector tool is necessary?
3. I read on another thread they recommended replacing the stock rubber riser bushings with polyurethane ones. I have no idea if the RKS has rubber. If so, any opinions on if they should be changed - I’ve read you get a better feel of the road with polyurethane.
4. How did you guys attach your feeder wire or chain to the wires to pull through the bar? I only know to tape them together. Ideas?
5. Anyone try graphite powder as a lubricant for the wire pull through? Someone said rubbing alcohol works well.
6. Anyone know of a video for handlebar replacement for our bike? I know of the Chattanooga guy but it skips through it and is done in 15 mins. I have seen both in Road6 Custosn site but they are for Glides and Dynas as I recall.

Thanks for any and all suggestions guys. Pics forthcoming!

Old 03-15-2018, 01:39 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by TStew1
That's the beauty of personal preference! You don't have to like it, just like I don't have to like fairings. Isn't that part of what being a Harley owner is all about, making the bike your own? I think the orange on the bags and side covers looks pretty unique and badass!
I agree, just giving the guy some feedback. People have different tastes.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:32 PM
Hagg22
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hagg22
Hi guys. I’ve ordered my new bars. Decided on Wild1 Dresser bars (0504). Also got their Roser Adapters (0806) on their rec. will post pics if install and finish product. Wondering if any of you who have replaced your bars could answer a few questions I have.
1. Not sure if this bar requires extensions for wires. Have a call in to Wild1 for that answer.
2. Terminal pin disconnect tool. I read some folks just use a thick paper clip to disconnect the connectors from the wires. Any idea which connector tool is necessary?
3. I read on another thread they recommended replacing the stock rubber riser bushings with polyurethane ones. I have no idea if the RKS has rubber. If so, any opinions on if they should be changed - I’ve read you get a better feel of the road with polyurethane.
4. How did you guys attach your feeder wire or chain to the wires to pull through the bar? I only know to tape them together. Ideas?
5. Anyone try graphite powder as a lubricant for the wire pull through? Someone said rubbing alcohol works well.
6. Anyone know of a video for handlebar replacement for our bike? I know of the Chattanooga guy but it skips through it and is done in 15 mins. I have seen both in Road6 Custosn site but they are for Glides and Dynas as I recall.

okay. so I'm giving my own feedback. Talked to Wild1 and they said no extensions necessary! Sweet.

and i guess i'm going to try the paper clip to disconnect the pins in the TBW

would love to hear back about the riser bushings if anyone has an opinion.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:30 PM
WristpinKnock
Cruiser
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hagg22

I thought hard about the W0504 bars...but ended up getting a discontinued black version of the Harley Fat bar. Two reasons, first they’re 1.25” at the clamping surface, so I didn’t need the adapter; second, cause I had a bunch of points stored up from my HD credit card, so it wasn’t as expensive.

Install wasn’t too bad. There was plenty of spare wiring harness, so I don’t think you’ll have any trouble. I was able to fish all the harnesses through, except one of the turn signals. (Can’t remember which side, now.) That one, I tried to take apart and ended up cutting and soldering. But all the others could be wriggled through with their connectors in place.

I lubed up the inside of the bars with silicone spray. It was messy but it worked. The only other issues I had were the turn signals and repositioning the brake and clutch fitting to not hit the tank. I ended up replacing the bar-mounted turn signals with the fork mounted ones.

Attached Thumbnails The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD-dfe459ff-bb5d-4911-aea8-6399bc80bd48.jpeg   The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD-617ab4c4-68e9-4172-9691-23750314529d.jpeg  
Old 03-15-2018, 06:58 PM
shark13
Advanced
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I installed wiid one road king bars,I didnt need any extensions.I taped the wires to tie wire & pulled thru.I left the stock risers,seemed ok to me but its personal preferance.Overall happy with install.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:09 PM
chilidipper
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I did upgrade the bushing to Poly to prevent bars from moving when pulling myself up out of the seat on big bumps. Although, i do have a 14 meat hook, slightly higher. Long story short, worth the investment! have fun

Old 03-16-2018, 06:06 AM
Hagg22
Cruiser

Thanks all very much for those responses and tips. Really appreciated. Still waiting on the bars to get here but very excited about swapping them out!

Old 03-16-2018, 09:29 AM
RKS-Raven
Intermediate
Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
Default New Seat, Happy Bum

Got this two-up Sport Tour seat from C&C and couldn't be happier. I think it's comfortable, wife is happy, and I love their craftsmanship as well as their delivery time (5 days ahead of quoted time). Yes, it did drop me a little and back slightly (roughly 3/4 inch each way), but I wanted that. Took it out for about 220 miles and had no issues like I did with the stocker.

I know we all have different preferences, so this is a happy/bragging moment and not a question on "what we all prefer."

Attached Thumbnails The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD-img_4210.jpg   The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD-img_4211.jpg   The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD-img_4212.jpg   The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD-img_4213.jpg  

Quick Reply: The All things ROAD KING SPECIAL THREAD