Sponsored by:

Dealer selling new bike with Aftermarket catless exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 03:37 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,544 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by ardakota
That particular dealer may be overlooking the catless exhaust but anyone who buys it are taking a chance on breaking down on the road and the next dealer reporting the change to emissions to harley as they are supposed to thus harley will not honor a warranty claim on your ride for the powertrain this has been talked about for several months now. We know the rules and the consequences of the rules its a risk some are willing to make and others are not.
man, what a nightmare situation it could be out of town to deal with all of the consequences of having an engine problem with aftermarket performance as opposed to.."no prob, we have the parts in stock or can have them overnighted, we'll have you back on the road asap for free"..and the fact that these bikes run great anyway..no way Jose

Last edited by mjwebb; 04-23-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:44 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,275 Likes on 11,144 Posts

Originally Posted by jclax01
from what you posted, this dealer does not sound straight at all. why would you think that they would be honest about the warranty?
Absolutely. I recently posted that my dealer told me that part of the EPA fiasco, dealers may only do EPA compliant downloads now,

Old 04-23-2017, 03:59 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Sales guy was blowing smoke up your skirt, if this is true there was no way a 2017 regulated bike is going to meet emission standards and stay compliant with the draconian clamp down the EPA did with Harley this year. No cat kiss any powertrain warranty good by.

Old 04-23-2017, 04:19 PM
Mr-Mike
Road Master
Received 179 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Being tuned to run as clean as ( or better ) in no way relates to the legality of removing, modifying or rendering inoperative ) ANY federally mandated pollution control device. Long story ( so I won't go into the details ) but I spent a great deal of time in the automotive industry dealing with exhaust .

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...hsysrepair.pdf
I said nothing to the contrary and this isn't a thread about morality, what's your point?

Old 04-23-2017, 07:34 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Unless they will sign a statement that they will repair any failure stay away.

HD is under a Federal Court ordered 4 year consent decree to VOID yes VOID any any warranty on a 17 and later H-D with aftermarket tuners and non compliant parts along with the $15 million dollar settlement. They are required to report all warranty work from last january on to EPA.

That is even if the part had no bearing on the failure.

No way will H-D warranty an EPA non compliant bike.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...avidson-cd.pdf

Read the link. The decree is not hard reading.

The one thing the court did is legislate. Magnusson-Moss warranty act will not apply to any H-D for the next four years.

Last edited by lh4x4; 04-23-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:58 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jclax01
from what you posted, this dealer does not sound straight at all. why would you think that they would be honest about the warranty?
I am in no way under the illusion that this dealership is anything but fly by night, however they are an authorized Harley franchise. It's not a small shop either. They have a lot of bikes and do financing for anyone at inflated rates. I bought my bike elsewhere, but this place is close to my home. I was absolutely amazed that they would do such a thing as sell a brand new bike with an aftermarket exhaust missing a cat. I realize that that will only void the warranty on the power train per the "agreement" with the EPA. I'm also never surprised at the ignorance of the sales staff at this shop. He had no idea of even what a tuner was, so I don't know what they tuned it with if anything.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:46 PM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain
Received 251 Likes on 158 Posts

So even if you change out exhaust to V&H and use the HD Pro Street tuner(which HD says is EPA compliant), you void your powertrain warranty? I have seen numerous dealers with modified new bikes on the floor. I find it hard to believe they would sell new bikes knowing the warranty is void, or sell parts that void warranty and not tell the customer or lie and say it does not void warranty. I could see lawsuits over this.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:46 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,178 Likes on 6,218 Posts

Originally Posted by ardakota
Was this on a 17 milwaukee 8
It was on a 1907 model.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:10 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts

The one thing the court did is legislate. Magnusson-Moss warranty act will not apply to any H-D for the next four years.
So according to what you are saying here, you can have a bone stock 2017 HD and if you do your own services (oil changes) they can deny your warranty? The MOCO may have paid out $15M, but the dealers will more than recoup that in shop fees for oil changes.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:13 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Timberwolf2017
So even if you change out exhaust to V&H and use the HD Pro Street tuner(which HD says is EPA compliant), you void your powertrain warranty? I have seen numerous dealers with modified new bikes on the floor. I find it hard to believe they would sell new bikes knowing the warranty is void, or sell parts that void warranty and not tell the customer or lie and say it does not void warranty. I could see lawsuits over this.
A lot of dealers are putting on aftermarket slip-ons and tuning them to EPA specs. It's fine if they put on V&H or any other slip-ons as long as they keep the head pipe with the catalytic converter. They can then tune it to EPA compliant specs with the Pro Street Tuner. I imagine that by replacing the head pipe with one that lacks a cat, it would not be possible to tune it with the Harley pro street tuner to EPA specs. You have to have the cat and it can't be tuned with an aftermarket tuner as I understand it.

Quick Reply: Dealer selling new bike with Aftermarket catless exhaust