Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   Slip on will void warranty (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1175497-slip-on-will-void-warranty.html)

Zoom1077 05-09-2017 03:50 PM

Slip on will void warranty

I received a phone call today in response to a written request for info regarding rcx slip ons I was told by a rep from Harley that any pipes other than stock or street cannons will void my warranty. In fact, he could void my warranty just for me telling him about in the letter It don't matter that said pipes are epa compliant without other mods. On the 2017, any powertrain mod not approved by Harley immediately voids the warranty. I don't really want to start problems on the site but just want to let those that are considering any pipe other than the street cannons you will likely void your warranty. This info was directly from the customer service department of Harley. The person was nice but very firm in saying if the wrong dealer sees these pipes and outs it in the computer warranty is void everywhere. My dealer will cover me but if you need service on the road you could be toast. Not worth taking a chance. A big part of me wishes i'd kept my 2015

TriGeezer 05-09-2017 03:58 PM

There have been other threads on this.

Slip ons are easy to remove, and install. How about, putting on what you want, then swapping out to OEM when you go for service? If you are worried about needing service on the road, swap em out when you travel.

mjwebb 05-09-2017 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by TriGeezer (Post 16220969)

Slip ons are easy to remove, and install. How about, putting on what you want, then swapping out to OEM when you go for service? If you are worried about needing service on the road, swap em out when you travel.

not a very practical workaround for many..for one, they can be a hassle and difficult to remove, two, going to reuse clamps or buy new ones every service?..for those non DIY servicing folks, three.. might not play nicely with different tunes and wouldn't want to not enjoy it on long road trips

Yamaharley 05-09-2017 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by TriGeezer (Post 16220969)

Just don't ride more than 75 miles from your dealer that okay'd it. You must be joking trigeezer.

goose222 05-09-2017 04:35 PM

Keep em stock till the warranty runs out

Kawickrice 05-09-2017 04:36 PM

I love my Rinehart Slipons. And I ain't swapping em

Fatboy Brian 05-09-2017 04:37 PM

This exactly why I'm on the sidelines this go around. Seems like the all ready shaky Harley warranty department has a trump card thanks to the epa.

Yamaharley 05-09-2017 04:45 PM

The funny thing is it's not just harley. I was told last year with the yamaha, no pipes or tuners. If I did put one on warranty was no more.

purpledeuce 05-09-2017 04:52 PM

The EPA decree states only the tuner will void the warranty. Slip Ons will not void the warranty. A harley customer service rep telling you to buy only harley products - a wild concept

sixguns 05-09-2017 05:06 PM

I for one agree with Harley. You purchase my product with a warranty and then you [ modify ] it with Non OEM parts and expect me to warranty it? Screw off!

Redrodyankneck 05-09-2017 05:24 PM

Really???

Gibler77 05-09-2017 05:24 PM

I bought my Road King off the floor with RC Component slip-one already installed. My dealer would have a hard time arguing a warranty issue.

Zoom1077 05-09-2017 05:25 PM

That's my new plan. I love the rc and heard the street cannons have a bad sound.

Zoom1077 05-09-2017 05:31 PM

Agreed but then why do they sell the rcx? Hypocritical to make money off a product and then void a warranty for using. If only Harley parts work then don't sell other manufacturers parts. I for one won't hire a lawyer but a good one would have a field day taking apart a dealer who sold a item that when you put it on voided a warranty.

Zoom1077 05-09-2017 05:38 PM

Gibker: my dealer will cover the bike but traveling will be a problem. If another dealer places it in the computer the warranty is voided period. That comes straight from Harley and I was told by a different dealer that's exactly what they would do if I brought bike in. Once warranty voided even your dealer would have trouble with harley. When asked about why dealers sell if it voids warranty, I was told theyre independenly owned. BS but why risk a warranty on unproven motor.

Redrodyankneck 05-09-2017 05:50 PM

OK, Screaming eagle street cannons on stock bike, no tune, is warranty voided because HD says the ECM must be re tuned with a Pro street tuner.

Zoom1077 05-09-2017 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by purpledeuce (Post 16221146)
The EPA decree states only the tuner will void the warranty. Slip Ons will not void the warranty. A harley customer service rep telling you to buy only harley products - a wild concept

Harley rep said they have decided that any powertrain add on has to be approved by their engineers or warranty is voided. I have this saved as a recording. I really believe they are serious about shutting down other manufacturers parts. As crazy as it sounds there will be 2017 owners who lose their warranty because they purchased a slip on muffler possibly from the dealer . That's a fact 2017 owners need to accept . Is it worth running slip ons and possibly having to pay thousands of dollars for as repair. Honestly, I'm not trying to scare people or be argumentative. I just want everyone to be informed of how serious a decision it is to make any changes thanks

thealien 05-09-2017 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by sixguns (Post 16221193)
I for one agree with Harley. You purchase my product with a warranty and then you modify it with an others parts and expect me to warranty it? Screw off!

Do you have your Ford/Chevy/Dodge dealer install your exhaust when needed? No because it just needs to pass EPA guidelines.

Zoom1077 05-09-2017 06:05 PM

RCX slip on

Originally Posted by Redrodyankneck (Post 16221369)
OK, Screaming eagle street cannons on stock bike, no tune, is warranty voided because HD says the ECM must be re tuned with a Pro street tuner.

I would talk directly with harley customer service and get a straight answer. I'm guessing that if they say to tune it they could use that to void your warranty. What the dealer says locally has no bearing at a national level if it was me id tune it.

mastergunnera8 05-09-2017 06:11 PM

If they start playing extreme hardball, then customers should start doing the same. I understand about the tuner deal, changing how an engine actually operates, but EPA compliant slip ons..really?

Have we heard of a dealer getting fined for selling M8s with mods or performing the mods as directed in the ruling? I haven't seen a report yet....maybe MoCo is playing hard with customers, but not their dealers?...

I can only see the "but they're independently owned" thing going so far..they have the HD on their doors and are representatives of the brand and company..

Oh, and the measly 13 million dollar fine? chumpchange...they spend more than that on paper and toner in a year...

mkely5094 05-09-2017 06:26 PM

geeze, HD has really turned us all into a bunch of pussies hasn't it? Ever heard of a class action lawsuit? Guaranteed the first warranty HD voids due to an EPA approved add on will launch a huge class action lawsuit, something Harley certainly doesn't want from their customers but I'm sure there are lawyers lurking these forums just waiting to pounce. And I have yet to hear of a single instance where HD has actually voided a single warranty yet since the M8s came out. Arent we all just a little tired of their ghestoppo tactics yet?

Soon2Be1 05-09-2017 07:20 PM

So here is the interesting part about that statement form the HD customer service, under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, they CANNOT void the warranty for the power train based on the slip ons, its in violation of the Fair Trade Commission. I understand the head pipe with a cat and the tuner (which was the ONLY agreement they made with the EPA) but slip ons, nope.

Redrodyankneck 05-09-2017 07:31 PM

Mkely,
There is a forum member that had his warranty voided after his oil pump failed. This was a problem with some of earlier M8's. His warranty claim was denied because of a FP3, hardly related to the oil pump failure by any stretch of the imagination but the FeulPack 3 is a non EPA compliant tuner.

todd-67 05-09-2017 09:01 PM

Do you expect corporate to tell you anything different? They are under a decree. Violating it would mean more fines, possible jail time for the officers and other possible actions. At least that is the line we were told under our CD. I doubt any dealer wants that lable as being the one turning people in. As long as the digital upload shows no aftermarket tuner your chances of a waranty denial are slim. Harley is telling you what they have to. For all they know you could be the EPA calling testing the waters to see if they are holding true to the agreement.

Zoom1077 05-09-2017 09:10 PM

RCX slip on

Originally Posted by todd-67 (Post 16222123)
Do you expect corporate to tell you anything different? They are under a decree. Violating it would mean more fines, possible jail time for the officers and other possible actions. At least that is the line we were told under our CD. I doubt any dealer wants that lable as being the one turning people in. As long as the digital upload shows no aftermarket tuner your chances of a waranty denial are slim. Harley is telling you what they have to. For all they know you could be the EPA calling testing the waters to see if they are holding true to the agreement.

Hi don't think that's true cause it's not an EPA issue. Pipes are 50 state compliant so they would have no cause to worry. I have a 50 state certification. No this is a definite warranty issue. I was told it don't matter if pipes are EPA compliant but Harley has to approve that any mod won't harm their motor. He said they used to ignore but are strict with the 2017. I also had a dealer I was looking to buy an air filter from tell me not to bring the bike in with the pipes or they would turn me in . No, this is not EPA it's harley

Soon2Be1 05-09-2017 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Zoom1077 (Post 16222152)
.... I also had a dealer I was looking to buy an air filter from tell me not to bring the bike in with the pipes or they would turn me in . No, this is not EPA it's harley

Calling BS on this one!!!

Specifically, what dealer told you they will void the warranty with slip ons?

Even more absurd, EPA compliant slip ons!!!

Zoom1077 05-09-2017 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Soon2Be1 (Post 16222192)
Calling BS on this one!!!

Specifically, what dealer told you they will void the warranty with slip ons?

Even more absurd, EPA compliant slip ons!!!

I don't really care if you believe this or not. My primary purpose for doing this email was to warn others. Today I had to remove a pair of 600 dollar pipes that I loved due to a very lengthy and recorded conversation with harley. The dealer that told me this is twin city Harley in Blaine Minnesota. They conversation I had was with a person named Matt responding to a very specific letter I wrote. He represents Harley and is very knowledgeable. If you need any additional info you can pm me. Don't be so quick to judge someone's who's trying to help. People can believe the forum or do as I did and actually do research . Your choice thanks

Timberwolf2017 05-09-2017 09:38 PM

Good grief, there is so much disinformation out there regarding the 2017 warranty, makes me want to just get rid of it. Mine has stage 1 with the Pro Street tuner, my dealer says warranty is good because that tuner is EPA compliant, but another dealer may void my warranty? Sounds like either the dealers or HD are making this up as they go along. Cars/trucks are getting like this also. I have a 2015 Ram with the Cummins diesel, if you delete the EPA crap, diesel particulate filter, diesel exhaust fluid, SCR catalytic converter, EGR valve(these are what causes most of the issues) you will void your warranty and I am hearing now the EPA can fine you. There is no way around this, once you tune the Cummins, it is stored in the ECU and the next time you are in for service it will be uploaded and warranty voided. Severe overreach by the EPA.

Zoom1077 05-09-2017 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Timberwolf2017 (Post 16222285)
Good grief, there is so much disinformation out there regarding the 2017 warranty, makes me want to just get rid of it. Mine has stage 1 with the Pro Street tuner, my dealer says warranty is good because that tuner is EPA compliant, but another dealer may void my warranty? Sounds like either the dealers or HD are making this up as they go along. Cars/trucks are getting like this also. I have a 2015 Ram with the Cummins diesel, if you delete the EPA crap, diesel particulate filter, diesel exhaust fluid, SCR catalytic converter, EGR valve(these are what causes most of the issues) you will void your warranty and I am hearing now the EPA can fine you. There is no way around this, once you tune the Cummins, it is stored in the ECU and the next time you are in for service it will be uploaded and warranty voided. Severe overreach by the EPA.

If you use the Harley street cannons and tuner your warranty is good. Only non Harley items break the warranty even if epa compliant. What I was told is only Harley parts and tuner. Don't get hung up on epa it's only Harley approved that keep warranty.

Timberwolf2017 05-09-2017 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Zoom1077 (Post 16222314)
If you use the Harley street cannons and tuner your warranty is good. Only non Harley items break the warranty even if epa compliant. What I was told is only Harley parts and tuner. Don't get hung up on epa it's only Harley approved that keep warranty.

I have V&H head pipes and muffs, SE breather and Pro Street tuner, so anybody's guess if I have a warranty anymore

Soon2Be1 05-09-2017 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Zoom1077 (Post 16222239)
I don't really care if you believe this or not. My primary purpose for doing this email was to warn others. Today I had to remove a pair of 600 dollar pipes that I loved due to a very lengthy and recorded conversation with harley. The dealer that told me this is twin city Harley in Blaine Minnesota. They conversation I had was with a person named Matt responding to a very specific letter I wrote. He represents Harley and is very knowledgeable. If you need any additional info you can pm me. Don't be so quick to judge someone's who's trying to help. People can believe the forum or do as I did and actually do research . Your choice thanks

Well sorry you took this out of context, I'm not saying you are the person BS'ing us, the dealer or the Rep at HD is. They CANNOT void a warranty for installing an aftermarket product is all I am getting at, its illegal. I will do some calling around and see if I can get someone to call them.

There are dealers installing aftermarket products on Youtube, what does HD do about them? Something is not right with the information you were provided.

As stated before, under the Magnuson-Moss Act, it is ILLEGAL for a manufacturer void a warranty solely based on the installation of an aftermarket product. The tuner as stated in the agreement with the EPA is understandable, I don't like it but I do understand it. This is enforced by the Fair Trade Commision and if you are victim of this, please report it through them. HD and the dealers cannot bully us in to buying only HD products.

Also, no need for PMs, this is a topic MANY people are concerned with and should be out in the open.

Zoom1077 05-09-2017 09:56 PM

RCX slip on

Originally Posted by Soon2Be1 (Post 16222330)
Well sorry you took this out of context, I'm not saying you are the person BS'ing us, the dealer or the Rep at HD is. They CANNOT void a warranty for installing an aftermarket product is all I am getting at, its illegal. I will do some calling around and see if I can get someone to call them.

There are dealers installing aftermarket products on Youtube, what does HD do about them? Something is not right with the information you were provided.

As stated before, under the Magnuson-Moss Act, it is ILLEGAL for a manufacturer void a warranty solely based on the installation of an aftermarket product. The tuner as stated in the agreement with the EPA is understandable, I don't like it but I do understand it. This is enforced by the Fair Trade Commision and if you are victim of this, please report it through them. HD and the dealers cannot bully us in to buying only HD products.

Also, no need for PMs, this is a topic MANY people are concerned with and should be out in the open.

My sincere apologies. Please keep me posted if love to put my pipes back on.

Soon2Be1 05-09-2017 10:10 PM

This is what I was able to find quickly.

Code of Federal Regulations, Title 16 – Commercial Practices, Chapter I – Federal Trade Commission, Subchapter G – Rules, Regulations, Statements and Interpretations under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Part 700 – Interpretations under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Contained within these rules and regulations is Section 700.10, which states:
No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance.

Also, I am going to bring this to SEMA as they fight against this and for us. I may ask for your conversations if they will pursue this further.

Zoom1077 05-09-2017 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Soon2Be1 (Post 16222356)
This is what I was able to find quickly.

Code of Federal Regulations, Title 16 – Commercial Practices, Chapter I – Federal Trade Commission, Subchapter G – Rules, Regulations, Statements and Interpretations under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Part 700 – Interpretations under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Contained within these rules and regulations is Section 700.10, which states:
No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance.

Also, I am going to bring this to SEMA as they fight against this and for us. I may ask for your conversations if they will pursue this further.

I will help in any method possible. I have the recording of the first conversation with harley I'll keep. Thanks.

johnb54 05-09-2017 10:19 PM

Lawsuit

Well very interesting, purchased a 2017 CVO STREET GLIDE three weeks ago. Purchased stage 4 117 kit, aftermarket head pipes & slip ons, direct link "tuner", ported heads (in their shop). And extended warranties in our purchase agreement. Guarantee dealer will be paying all my warranty bills from any dealer if factory cancels my warranty. They never told me the WORK THEY INCLUDED and extended warranty would void my warranty . We specifically spoke about the warranty would be covered at any hd location as we travel extended trips. Let the fun begin!

YammyDrummer 05-09-2017 10:20 PM

Wow...just WOW! Harley - Davidson is milking this EPA suit to the bank! Doesn't surprise me that a H-D rep states that aftermarket mufflers will void the warranty. Of course aftermarket mufflers void the warranty. They don't have any HD/SE logos anywhere on them.

Soon2Be1 05-09-2017 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by johnb54 (Post 16222382)
Well very interesting, purchased a 2017 CVO STREET GLIDE three weeks ago. Purchased stage 4 117 kit, aftermarket head pipes & slip ons, direct link "tuner", ported heads (in their shop). And extended warranties in our purchase agreement. Guarantee dealer will be paying all my warranty bills from any dealer if factory cancels my warranty. They never told me the WORK THEY INCLUDED and extended warranty would void my warranty . We specifically spoke about the warranty would be covered at any hd location as we travel extended trips. Let the fun begin!

WOW!!! So my dealer kinda said the same thing but not the travel part thats the crazy thing. They won't warranty it if I have them do a thundermax and header but he said they would take care of it if there's an issue.

I can't afford that risk and they won't provide anything in writing.

Good luck.

Zoom1077 05-09-2017 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by johnb54 (Post 16222382)

I'm beginning to understand that the dealers are operating in n independent manner when it comes to after market work. They will sell and place after market items in your bike knowing that other dealers and Harley in general will not warranty the work and will in fact void the warranty.

fightingmajor 05-09-2017 11:34 PM

I still kinda find it hard to believe that you go in and buy a new bike and they install the non EPA stuff that you will have a voided warranty. Harley can't afford folks switching to another brand or not buying new bikes. It's why they will still sell you the stuff and install it. It's rolling the dice. Now I could understand if they wiped out their inventory of all nonEPA approved stuff and you chose to go out on your own and buy it and install it. Are they not themselves violating the EPA agreement themselves by still selling and installing the stuff? Is the fine that they would have to pay if caught just not that big so they don't care or is it that it's always been that technically your warranty has always been voided with aftermarket stuff and they dealers always look the other way and fix the bike. A lot of Harley dealers rent bikes. What would stop them from turning in the warranty claim on one of their rentals and then using that to fix your bike? Is that anymore dishonest than ignoring the EPA stuff in the first place? Is there a carfax that you can run on motorcycles to see if anything has ever been done to it? Is there any way of tracking all of the work that's been done on a used bike when you buy it? Even if there was a report, who would ever ask for one to be ran on a new bike. If the new bike that they had turned in for warranty work happened to have the same thing happen to it, it would be an easy approval from Harley as it's already been documented that it was an issue before and replaced.

Ok that was a lot of shadiness that popped out of my mind right there for hypothetical situations that I'm sure have not happened. Just thinking out loud on how a dealer may work around the system while still keeping their customers happy. Harley doesn't really care about the buyer, but the store who sold you the bike and hopes you return for your next should care about the buyer.

mjwebb 05-09-2017 11:48 PM

this is unprecedented, having to have all these bs conversations....but reality I guess..sad..I mean c'mon..slipons voiding warranty is a legitimate hot topic