Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed cat, not digging the sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 12:15 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 666 Posts

Call me crazy but do you have a tuner? When removing the cat, you're increasing air flow which leans out the engine a bit. You need to add more fuel to compensate. And, while I may be wrong, I swear I've heard non-tuned bikes with exhaust and they sound tinny, and adding some fuel gives it a little more oomph.

Just my $.02

Old 06-26-2017, 12:21 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,525 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrenthus
Call me crazy but do you have a tuner? When removing the cat, you're increasing air flow which leans out the engine a bit. You need to add more fuel to compensate. And, while I may be wrong, I swear I've heard non-tuned bikes with exhaust and they sound tinny, and adding some fuel gives it a little more oomph.

Just my $.02
I am tuned and have the HD high flow filter

Old 06-26-2017, 07:42 PM
kbktulsa
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have stock headpipe, no cat, fuel moto jackpot mufflers.
it sounds close to my twin cam ultra, with the same setup. Not same but close.
tried mufflers with cat sounded ok, but better without cat.
Have power vision with fuel Moto tune.
It is not too loud at idle, but really barks when rolling on the throttle. Can still hear the radio at 75.

The following users liked this post:
Poppa Derf (07-19-2019)
Old 06-26-2017, 08:00 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by kbktulsa
I have stock headpipe, no cat, fuel moto jackpot mufflers.
it sounds close to my twin cam ultra, with the same setup. Not same but close.
tried mufflers with cat sounded ok, but better without cat.
Have power vision with fuel Moto tune.
It is not too loud at idle, but really barks when rolling on the throttle. Can still hear the radio at 75.
I thinking about vance and hines power duals or bassani head pipe, I'm just kinda scared I will drop the coin and it ends up with the same tone as my cat less head pipe. Decisions....decisions

Old 06-26-2017, 09:26 PM
Oz Dan
Tourer
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
I thinking about vance and hines power duals or bassani head pipe, I'm just kinda scared I will drop the coin and it ends up with the same tone as my cat less head pipe. Decisions....decisions
I posted a small sound file of my King at idle - it's got the Bassani headers. To me it's that perfect mix of good deep Harley sound without being crazy loud, although it does set off car alarms in underground car parks

If you can get to a bike night/ dealer on sat morn, you might get the chance to listen to a few different setups.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:28 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Oz Dan
I posted a small sound file of my King at idle - it's got the Bassani headers. To me it's that perfect mix of good deep Harley sound without being crazy loud, although it does set off car alarms in underground car parks

If you can get to a bike night/ dealer on sat morn, you might get the chance to listen to a few different setups.
I like the Bassani but not crazy about the look of the rear pipe, kinda looks ran out of place to me. It does sound good though.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:42 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Oz Dan

Thats the problem here, bike nights, dealer events, all the above, most guys with M8s have the same setups, RCs, Reinharts, or S&S here. Still searchin and tryin to listen.............the youtube videos just don't cut it.....wnat to hear them in person!

Eagle Out

Old 06-27-2017, 08:10 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

[QUOTE=103Eagle;16375262]

As we have all debated b4, the M8 is a different animal, don't and most likely never will sound like a twinkie.

Excellent response and the true fact of the matter.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:50 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 605 Likes on 419 Posts

I believe most of the differences in sound and feel come from more sofisticated fuel control, counterbalanced and rubber mounted drivetrain, and cam timing.
While not huge changes, certainly enough to alter the sound and feel a bit as compared to prior engines.
JME, Bob

Old 06-27-2017, 11:45 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Had a guy ride it today so I could hear it from behind, it actually has a pretty mean sound. Maybe it's just the "in the seat" sound that I'm not liking cause it was deep and mean when he took off and I could hear it going down the road.

Quick Reply: Removed cat, not digging the sound