Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

17 ultra m8 clank

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 02:05 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Received 213 Likes on 128 Posts

Last entries in my log. This was as of the time I picked up the bike from Ray Price .. watching oil light to dropping off to the second dealership and picking it up after it was fixed. No lights yet .. going for a ride tonight so we will see and as always .. Ill keep you guys in the loop in case my situation is helpful to yours.

10/5/2017 ~5:15p to 5:30
Pre checked oil level before a ride. At the exact level as it was when I picked up the bike. Rode up to the gas
station to fill up which was ten miles away. Upon restart, oil light did not go out. Took a cell phone pic. Turned
the bike off checked for codes p0523 present. Called corporate. Spoke with Debbie who documented this particular
instance and advised that I take the bike back in and have the shop call Harley.

10/6/2017 3:12pm 3:33pm Called downhome spoke with Bob
Scheduled an appointment for 10/18. Really too far out.

10/15 called Harley Corporate
talked to Heath and advised that I will drop the bike at down home harley davidson.

10/16 9am Dropped bike at Down Home.
Explained to bob the service writer that I needed p0523(present) and p0522(not present) defined and corrected.
I explained that the bike stall intermittently coming to a stop. Hes asked if the bike could be started in neutral.
I said at times no. He asked that I pull the bike in.
No light on the ride from the house to the dealership.
I got a oil light when I started the bike to drive it into the check in area. I pointed out the light to bob.
He checked the code, p0523 present. He checked the oil level which he said was a at the operating
range. I said that is not where the manual says the level should be hot. He said he would look into both issues
and be in touch.

10/19 2:30-2:41pm called dealership to get a status
Talked to bob. Bob told me that they believe the oil light is an electrical issue but doesnt have a diagnosis yet.
He said the bike is "back there" waiting to be worked on.
I noted to bob that I had to wait 2 weeks for this service appointment. I asked why is the bike not being worked
on. He said he has no other information.

10/19 2:41-3:09pm called Harley Corporate
I spoke with Cindy. I told Cindy about the interaction with the dealership. I also told Cindy that I had been
dealing with this issue since March and for at least 10k miles. I asked Cindy what I needed to do to get the oil
light, engine noises and stalling issue corrected. Ive had just about enough of this and Im getting pissed.
She said that she would call the dealership then put me on hold. Cindy came back on the line and advised that they
were working on the bike. She said they were doing so as she was talking to the service writer. I told her that
this must be a new development as during my previous 10 minute call with the dealership they werent on the bike.
I also stated that times up. If there was no positive intervention taken on the bike by Saturday. I would pick up
the bike and contact my lawyer and the NC Attorney General on Monday.

10/19 3:35p Received a call from down home harley (went to voice mail)
I got a call from bob the service writer who advised the bike is ready and is being washed.

10/19 4:03p Received a second call from down home harley
Different service writer advised the bike is ready. I told the writer that I was on my way.

10/19 5:18p
Picked up bike. The bike did start in neutral. I told them that I would be watching this as it is an intermittent
problem. No oil light as of yet .. on the ride from the dealership to the house. Still some odd chatter.
The service writer was a little passive aggressive mentioning that I didnt need to contact Harley because it was
taking too long.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:33 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,260 Likes on 3,630 Posts

Originally Posted by sumncguy

Snip

10/19 5:18p
Picked up bike. The bike did start in neutral. I told them that I would be watching this as it is an intermittent problem. No oil light as of yet .. on the ride from the dealership to the house. Still some odd chatter. The service writer was a little passive aggressive mentioning that I didnt need to contact Harley because it was taking too long.

It does sound like you are going to HD too quickly.. If you want to get the stuff done communicating direct with the dealer would be better.. Didn't these guys give you a delivery date on the repair.. Or did you chop out too much of the story..

Old 10-20-2017, 10:55 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Yeah disagree .. I've been dealing with this since March. Naaa .. corporate needed to know. Some of the issues are listed in raleigh roll call

Old 10-21-2017, 07:29 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

You did the right thing calling corporate. I'd have told that service guy to KMA (first two words are "kiss my") regarding that last statement.

You'd probably still be listening to their endless lines of pure BS, if you hadn't called in on 'em.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:37 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

So as you know I got the bike back. They replaced the oil sensor to correct the codes.
No mention of why the engine was making noise.
Could not duplicate the stalling issue.
One dealer said that basically I wasnt maintaining the levels properly.

I took the bike to my independent for the 20k service .. about 2200 miles late due to the Dealership issues.

He just called me. .. and I quote

"Ok , so primary oil level was spot on. Trans down to a 1/2 of a quart and engine oil was down to 4 quarts. Short a 1/2 quart engine oil and trans oil. No leaks. More concerning. Where is it going?"

I called him.

Hes said that he measured what was drain out. He said he was .75 quarts low on oil.
He said that he was 1/2 a quart low on transmission fluid.
e
The oil level if youve been following has been a point of contention. My independent said that he checked the Harley service manual to make sure his assumptions were correct.

Ok .. so now Im open to suggestions .. Ive been saying all along that the dealerships arent setting the level correctly according to the owners manual and now the service manual.

There are no leaks. If the primary isnt spilling over when he takes off the primary cover, where is the mystery 1/2 quart of transmission oil going ??

Also .. I have 2 deals in the works .. seeing if I can get my payoff of 21800 for the bike and deep 6 this boat anchor .. might be a little hard given the 22500 miles on it .. but we will see.

Im all ears on the mechanical stuff fellas ....

Old 10-24-2017, 01:08 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,476 Likes on 1,062 Posts

So as you know I got the bike back. They replaced the oil sensor to correct the codes.
No mention of why the engine was making noise.
Could not duplicate the stalling issue.
One dealer said that basically I wasnt maintaining the levels properly.

I took the bike to my independent for the 20k service .. about 2200 miles late due to the Dealership issues.

He just called me. .. and I quote

"Ok , so primary oil level was spot on. Trans down to a 1/2 of a quart and engine oil was down to 4 quarts. Short a 1/2 quart engine oil and trans oil. No leaks. More concerning. Where is it going?"

I called him.

Hes said that he measured what was drain out. He said he was .75 quarts low on oil.
He said that he was 1/2 a quart low on transmission fluid.
e
The oil level if youve been following has been a point of contention. My independent said that he checked the Harley service manual to make sure his assumptions were correct.

Ok .. so now Im open to suggestions .. Ive been saying all along that the dealerships arent setting the level correctly according to the owners manual and now the service manual.

There are no leaks. If the primary isnt spilling over when he takes off the primary cover, where is the mystery 1/2 quart of transmission oil going ??

Also .. I have 2 deals in the works .. seeing if I can get my payoff of 21800 for the bike and deep 6 this boat anchor .. might be a little hard given the 22500 miles on it .. but we will see.

Im all ears on the mechanical stuff fellas ....

I know this is frustrating and I know you've kept meticulous records of all the issues and supposed fixes.

Would the lemon law come into play here at all? Just in case you aren't able to work out a deal to get out from under this financial burden? Granted I haven't been on the site much the last couple weeks, so this may have already been discussed.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:33 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Lemon law .. maybe .. but Ive been through that before I think I posted about that early in this thread. Better to just trade or sell.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:11 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Lemon law .. maybe .. but Ive been through that before I think I posted about that early in this thread. Better to just trade or sell.
Selling a defective, un-fixable (as of now, anyway) bike with those miles for that much? Yeah, that's gonna be tough. Dealerships are having a pretty hard time moving their brand new M8's and it's only going to get worse as word spreads about all the problems they have with no known fixes.

If a potential buyer asks why you're selling it, what are you gonna say? Lying to him would bring you down to the same level as the sleazy hack that sold it to you! Surely, you're a better person than that.

You might consider looking into the lemon laws in your state as an alternative to trying to sell it, just in case that doesn't work out. Frankly, I'd be out to make the MoCo eat that bike. They have no right to foist their known-to-be-defective products off on their trusting customers.

One would think that sooner or later there's going to be a big class-action suit that forces them to buy back these bikes. If that happens, I wonder what their defense will be?

Last edited by jpooch00; 10-25-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:15 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Well .. I guess its not too hard ... the boat anchor is gone and I now have this new Hondavidson in the stable.

I wont ever say never .. but one thing for sure .. a Harley will never be my "main" bike.

The stats of the trade for those of you that want to know what the 17 Utra limited "is"

My bike was a 17 ultra limited 2 tone. 22523 miles on it.
The honda dealer said that he would take it on trade just so long he could get a Harley dealer to bid on it.
He told me 2 Harley dealers refused the bike. "We dont want it." The third would take it. The Honda dealer gave me 20k even for my bike. I owed 21617 (ten day payoff).
The 1617 was rolled into the Hondavidson deal along with gap and with the gap I wound up with an out the door price as much as the ... let me run and get the paperwork off the bike..

OK I financed 21526.12 @ 5.99 for 60 (never go the term though)
A huge weight is off my shoulders. I know many love the Harley. But my experience based on 2 Ultras 1 2016, 1 2017 is :
The mechanics of the bike are crap.
The ability of the service people I was dealing with locally were crap
Finance was crap
and I have been trying to get my gap cancelled and refunded since the 17s financing was moved to my credit union in September which is crap

I have pegs that I will post .. the Ultimate seat will be up and going for 1/2 what the new is .. here, other forums and craigslist. Take advantage of these Items .. Im letting them go cheap.

My leather I paid $600 for went last night for $300 bucks. My twelve Harley shirts went for 150 ... so keep and eye.

For those who really tried to help me I want to say you guys are gems. Especially Ip ... thanks man !
Good luck to all. Gods speed and be careful out there. Hope to see ya on the road sometime.

Regards
Chris

Attached Thumbnails 17 ultra m8 clank-hondavidson.jpeg  
Old 10-25-2017, 08:04 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Sorry it didn't work out man, but glad you're still in the wind. Take it easy.

Quick Reply: 17 ultra m8 clank