Sponsored by:

The warranty issue is real.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 11:37 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
I've never understood that expression. If I were ever to steal a bike, I'd drive it very carefully, obeying the speed limit and all traffic signs.
Couple of weeks ago I was passed by a guy on a Dyna splitting traffic. Very recognizable 1% club patch. This bike sounded like a gold wing. It made absolute sense to me.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 09-20-2017, 12:40 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
They never will. If the engine, clutch or, transmission should fail, the dealer will send oil samples to the mo co if requested. That alone can tell a whole lot about how the bike was ridden and maintained.
Mmmmmm so if I just changed to oil and filter then went for a ride and cold seized the motor? Your saying the moco could tell that from an oil sample.

I very much dought it.

Too much CSI. 🤔

Wiz

Old 09-20-2017, 08:19 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
That's exactly what our dealer says: "No problem, we will stand behind it."

What that means, of course, is:

1. We will lie to the Motor Company about the actual tuner module used on your bike and hope we don't get caught.

Or...

2. We will simply cover the repairs out of our own pocket and never turn in the warranty claim at all.

or 3..The new dealer owner will tell you to take a hike and the gentleman's agreement was between you and the prior establishment.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:27 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
or 3..The new dealer owner will tell you to take a hike and the gentleman's agreement was between you and the prior establishment.
# 3 is EXACTLY what will happen if you have a major warranty claim that involves an HD Dealer Rep inspecting the bike (which they do for all significant claims). Doesn’t matter what your dealer said or even put in writing, if the HD dealer rep sees that your bike is non-compliant, not only will your claim be rejected but your bike will be flagged to void the balance of your factory warranty. And if your factory warranty is voided, then your entire ESP (if you own one) is also voided. If its a minor claim, your dealer has “flexibility” in handling the claim but still requires HD claim approval. If the Dealer Rep is involved you better be compliant if you expect to retain your warranty.

Last edited by Heatwave; 09-20-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:35 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

Bottom line; the dealer get's paid by the moco for all warranty work and having the service dept busy keeps the cash flow steady.
In Calif we have a lot of dealers, they all have warranty work happening constantly, there isn't someone from the moco running around verifying that every repair is legit.

I'd venture to say a lot of this may have to do with your personal relationship with the dealer you bought the bike from. More involved repairs like engine replacement will catch the mocos attention.

The factories warranty division is so big most all repairs are done by computer without someone eyeballing them.

The following users liked this post:
CrankyYankee (09-22-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 08:38 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by CrankyYankee
Funny, I was at a pretty big dealer in NC today and asked the service manager about what I can do to the exhaust without voiding my warranty. Told him I wanted the best sound I could get and asked for recommendations for a Stage 1 kit. First he recommended Power Duals and 4" Rinehart or CFR mufflers. When I asked about having to stay with a Screaming Eagle tuner, he said no, he recommended the FP3 or PC5, said the SE was crap. I asked again about possible warranty issues and he flat out told me not at his dealership, they would stand behind that setup as long as they install it.
"snip".
Could be they were weighing the value of a satisfied customer and the profit from the pipe and tuner sale against the unlikely possibility that they would have to eat a major repair.

The CD is specific and explicit as to the MoCo voiding warranties for bikes tuned with non compliant tuners. As discussed ad-nauseam, the non compliant tuner doesn't need to be installed for the MoCo to know that it had been used.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:43 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
Bottom line; the dealer get's paid by the moco for all warranty work and having the service dept busy keeps the cash flow steady.
In Calif we have a lot of dealers, they all have warranty work happening constantly, there isn't someone from the moco running around verifying that every repair is legit.

I'd venture to say a lot of this may have to do with your personal relationship with the dealer you bought the bike from. More involved repairs like engine replacement will catch the mocos attention.

The factories warranty division is so big most all repairs are done by computer without someone eyeballing them.
Spot on. Some dealers may be more/less strict on compliance but the HD Dealer Reps follow the Terms & Conditions to the letter in the factory warranty. But there are only 7 HD Dealer Reps for the whole nation so they only get involved in the most expensive or unique situation claims.

If the Dealer Rep is involved... make sure your bike is compliant. If you’re only dealing with your local dealer on a minor claim, it’ll come down to the relationship, if you are non-compliant.

Last edited by Heatwave; 09-20-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:52 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,476 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
# 3 is EXACTLY what will happen if you have a major warranty claim that involves an HD Dealer Rep inspecting the bike (which they do for all significant claims). Doesn’t matter what your dealer said or even put in writing, if the HD dealer rep sees that your bike is non-compliant, not only will your claim be rejected but your bike will be flagged to void the balance of your factory warranty. And if your factory warranty is voided, then your entire ESP (if you own one) is also voided. If its a minor claim, your dealer has “flexibility” in handling the claim but still requires HD claim approval. If the Dealer Rep is involved you better be compliant if you expect to retain your warranty.
Well if you get anything in writing from the dealer, that is a binding contract. So even if the MOCO denies the warranty, the dealer is bound by the contract.

Now granted, depending of what the contract says, you may never get another warranty issue covered again.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:58 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Well if you get anything in writing from the dealer, that is a binding contract. So even if the MOCO denies the warranty, the dealer is bound by the contract.

Now granted, depending of what the contract says, you may never get another warranty issue covered again.
Whatever a local dealer puts in writing has absolutely nothing to do with HD’s factory warranty or the ESP, if you have one. If the factory warranty is voided you also lose the ESP. I’d be surprised if there’s ANY dealer that would put any warranty language on any work they do in writing.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:01 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,476 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Whatever a local dealer puts in writing has absolutely nothing to do with HD’s factory warranty or the ESP, if you have one. If the factory warranty is voided you also lose the ESP. I’d be surprised if there’s ANY dealer that would put any warranty language on any work they do in writing.
Agreed with the FACTORY warranty and ESP, but again you said the dealer put something in writing that they would cover issues. That's a binding contract in any court. SO the dealer would have to foot the bill, not the MOCO.

I'm pretty sure most dealers probably wouldn't put anything in writing other than maybe covering one issue at most.

Quick Reply: The warranty issue is real.