Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 04:15 PM
yankees1996
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jgos929
I don't think they'll have to fix them under warranty. Issuing a bulletin like they did should mean they'll fix them anytime they determine a fix. I find it hard to believe that they determine there might be a problem and wont fix said problem on bikes out of warranty
I find it hard to believe that Harley would not warranty any fluid transfer problem ! There has to be a reason that this is happening and after a fix is determined Harley should warranty all the problems under warranty ! If Harley balks I will never be Harley owner !

Old 10-13-2017, 04:36 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
can that even be done?
Yes!

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
I know that if they came out with a conversion kit to go back to cable I'd jump on it in a heartbeat! I really don't like the hydraulic clutch. It took so long to get used to it and then my bike was in the shop for over 2 months. When I got it back, it was like I had to learn it all over again. Sounds like a lose/lose situation for both HD and me....... Tranny fluid migration for them and jerky clutch action for me.
I haven’t figured the cost, but you could buy all the pertinent parts from a 2018 Softail. Probably be a few hundred dollars. I agree with you that the cable was a much smoother action. You should get the ability to adjust the clutch again. That’s another thing about a hydraulic clutch, if it wears to where it slips you have to replace the plates instead of adjusting out the slack.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:40 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,256 Likes on 3,628 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Yes!

I haven’t figured the cost, but you could buy all the pertinent parts from a 2018 Softail. Probably be a few hundred dollars. I agree with you that the cable was a much smoother action. You should get the ability to adjust the clutch again. That’s another thing about a hydraulic clutch, if it wears to where it slips you have to replace the plates instead of adjusting out the slack.
You missed the beauty of a hydraulic clutch.. It's self adjusting.. Just like disc brakes..

Old 10-13-2017, 04:42 PM
yankees1996
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
You missed the beauty of a hydraulic clutch.. It's self adjusting.. Just like disc brakes..
Why did Harley change ?

Old 10-13-2017, 04:46 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

15 tri-glide running redline heavy shockproof with no oil transfer.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:56 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,413 Likes on 4,017 Posts

Originally Posted by jgos929
Issuing a bulletin like they did should mean they'll fix them anytime they determine a fix. I find it hard to believe that they determine there might be a problem and wont fix said problem on bikes out of warranty
Wow...... I hate to be the one to break it to you, but unless it's an official safety recall, the MoCo has no legal requirement to fix anything that breaks after the warranty period is over....

And in todays world, if there is no legal requirement, there isn't a publicly owned company that is going to fix anything on their dime if they don't have too...

Just two recent examples with the MoCo

1) Twin Cam spring loaded cam tensioners. Some grenaded around 20K miles. I know of no case where the MoCo fixed a cam tensioner issue after the bike was off warranty.. The MoCo changed the design on future models, and even offered an upgrade kit to those with the old OEM cam plate/tensioners... but they aren't going to give it to you...

2) The compensator of '08ish... a lot of warranty replacements here. There were what, 3 reversions before they got one that would last more than 30K miles... You can buy the new version if you have one of the problem years with an OEM part, but they aren't going to give it to you...

The smart money is betting that when they figure out the problem, they will make a running production change and direct dealers to fix those who demonstrate they have fluid transfer AND are/were under warranty when the problem is/was identified....

If you have an M8 that starts transferring oil, but after you are off warranty... the MoCo will be glad to fix it for you, but they aren't going to give it to you...

Last edited by hattitude; 10-13-2017 at 04:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
TomcatCV62 (10-13-2017), VDeuce (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 04:56 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Hey Max I was just going on what Mark from Baker Driveline told me. I know most manual shift cars and trucks have been hydraulically actuated for years, like decades. For some reason the things that work in the automotive world don’t always transfer easily to the Harley world

Old 10-13-2017, 06:07 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by yankees1996
Why did Harley change ?
Cuz it's supposed to be better.. Go figure..

Old 10-13-2017, 06:11 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Hey Max I was just going on what Mark from Baker Driveline told me. I know most manual shift cars and trucks have been hydraulically actuated for years, like decades. For some reason the things that work in the automotive world don’t always transfer easily to the Harley world

Wonder what the issue is.. By design, the slave should self adjust for wear.

I'm not a fan tho as you can adjust the engagement point easily like a cable.. After market did pick up on this and make an adjustable level tho..

Old 10-13-2017, 06:11 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,275 Likes on 11,144 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
15 tri-glide running redline heavy shockproof with no oil transfer.
It's an M8 issue.

And FWIW...I've got 1,200 mikes on my last trans fluid change and no change in the level. "Knock on Wood"!!

Last edited by TriGeezer; 10-13-2017 at 06:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid transfer service bulletin