Sponsored by:

Custom Dynamics LED signals & Security issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 12:29 PM
badjujumatt
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Custom Dynamics LED signals & Security issue

I installed a Hogwerks LED headlight and CD LED turn signals and brake lights on my 2017 SGS. Now I am getting a solid security light, not all the time. With this solid light I lose the running lights, brake lights and signals still work. I really want to avoid the dealer if possible. Could it be the fob battery? If so, why would it allow me to run the bike if the fob battery is dead. The solid light comes on while underway. Should be plug n play right?

Old 10-01-2017, 12:36 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

I'm running the same setup as you on the same bike and have no problems at all. It's cheap enough to swap the cr2132 battery in the fob so I'm with you and would at least start there.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:56 PM
TRMN8TR
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I had a similar problem on my 2010 Ultra with a LED headlight bulbs, CD turn signals, CD load equalizer, CD tourpack LED bulbs, and Harley LED twilight. The red key would come on randomly, no rhyme or reason. When it did I started noticing that either my left or right signals quit working. I would shut the bike off and restart it and everything would work, til it did it again. Once I removed the load equalizer I would get no more codes.
I pulled the codes and cleared them but they would come back. I called CD and they insisted it wasn’t their load equalizer and asked me to ship it to them for testing. After a week or so I got it back and have had zero problems since. Funny.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:54 PM
badjujumatt
Advanced

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
I'm running the same setup as you on the same bike and have no problems at all. It's cheap enough to swap the cr2132 battery in the fob so I'm with you and would at least start there.
Well, i installed the brake light flasher, and some new batteries for the FOB's and rode for an hour with no issue. Hopefully that did the trick. Not sure why those FOB batteries would be fried so quick, but hey it worked so wtf. Thanks!

btw-those flashers on the brake lights are the bomb. Hope they keep the knuckleheads away, or at distance.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:25 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by badjujumatt
Well, i installed the brake light flasher, and some new batteries for the FOB's and rode for an hour with no issue. Hopefully that did the trick. Not sure why those FOB batteries would be fried so quick, but hey it worked so wtf. Thanks!

btw-those flashers on the brake lights are the bomb. Hope they keep the knuckleheads away, or at distance.
Yes sir, I added the same flasher. Set mine to 0, I want to keep people aware but also want to minimize the risk of a ticket. I'm not too trusting of the factory fob batteries. I imagine they have thousands sitting around for who knows how long. I grab some off amazon (Duracell or Energizer) and swap them immediately and then again in 6 months. Cheap insurance, I also keep an extra battery on the scoot and swap that one every 6 months too

Old 10-03-2017, 05:05 AM
badjujumatt
Advanced

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
Yes sir, I added the same flasher. Set mine to 0, I want to keep people aware but also want to minimize the risk of a ticket. I'm not too trusting of the factory fob batteries. I imagine they have thousands sitting around for who knows how long. I grab some off amazon (Duracell or Energizer) and swap them immediately and then again in 6 months. Cheap insurance, I also keep an extra battery on the scoot and swap that one every 6 months too
Headed out to work this morning at 5am and the damn security light came back on, running lights off. Had to head home and grab the car. Not pleased...guess its dealer time.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:59 AM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by badjujumatt
Headed out to work this morning at 5am and the damn security light came back on, running lights off. Had to head home and grab the car. Not pleased...guess its dealer time.
That sucks but the warranty will fix you up. Now it's sounding like a pinched wire somewhere

Old 10-03-2017, 08:04 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Buddy of mine has a 2017 FLHTKL with the CD fillers. He has recently developed the exact same issue. His top row of tour pak lights are all he has when it happens. Brake, turn and stop all work on the tour pak top row only. The main brake lamp, bottom marker lamps and CD fillers do not work when the red security light comes on. We tried changing FOB batteries but no change. Same as others, turn the bike off and everything works again, for a while. He took it to the dealer and of course they could not duplicate the issue. Only change is adding the CD fillers. But he has had them almost since day one (Oct 2016) and this problem started showing up just a few weeks ago. I think next is to disconnect the CD fillers and see if that changes anything.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:34 AM
Drodrigueznyc
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

interesting.. never had an issue running Hogwerks halo lights, led blinkers fr/rr, and rear brake light flasher. All installed pretty much within days of each other. No issues whatsoever. Could it be a wiring issue? maybe a bad connection somewhere? as mentioned earlier, change the fob battery to be on the safe side. Then, if you're triggering a code, clear it to see if it comes back. Did you remove the main fuse before installing them? if not, that would trigger it too. again clear it to see if it comes back.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:12 AM
cbrenthus
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,574 Likes on 662 Posts

I'd put it back to stock, then ride for a week or 2 and see if it still occurs. If it still happened, I;d see the dealer, but if it didn't then I first put in the CD tails and ride another week or 2, then the CD fronts and ride for a weeks or 2, then the headlight and ride for a week or 2, then finally the brake thing. This way if any of the items are causing an issue you'd have a pretty good idea which one.

Quick Reply: Custom Dynamics LED signals & Security issue