Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump changes..

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 06:45 PM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain
Received 251 Likes on 158 Posts

Seem to me that the sumping issues are mostly on bikes that have stage kits, not stock. We still don't know what has/is causing oil light/low oil pressure issues, seems to be a separate issue. Very frustrating.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:10 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,365 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Timberwolf2017
Seem to me that the sumping issues are mostly on bikes that have stage kits, not stock. We still don't know what has/is causing oil light/low oil pressure issues, seems to be a separate issue. Very frustrating.
Except mine. On my 3rd stock engine.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:33 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,431 Likes on 1,577 Posts

I have one of the newest pumps now. There is another bulletin now that tells the dealers not to use any pumps that were made prior to a date certain, that is on the box. I do not have the date but it is coming. There are different versions with the same part number on them so there is also a marking system with machined dots in the pump your suppose to look for. At a quick glance they have changed the suction side machining that times the gear rotor to the pump housing and it appears they are hand finishing to the gear rotor height by trimming the casting to match. This is going to reduce the end play on the suction side.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:49 PM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
I have one of the newest pumps now. There is another bulletin now that tells the dealers not to use any pumps that were made prior to a date certain, that is on the box. I do not have the date but it is coming. There are different versions with the same part number on them so there is also a marking system with machined dots in the pump your suppose to look for. At a quick glance they have changed the suction side machining that times the gear rotor to the pump housing and it appears they are hand finishing to the gear rotor height by trimming the casting to match. This is going to reduce the end play on the suction side.

So the bikes built up to this point, you will have one of the "bad design" pumps? That is a lot of bikes, I wonder if HD is going to replace only those having oil light/sumping issues. Is the latest iteration to fix the oil light/pressure issue or sumping, or both? I worry about too little oil(even though not tripping the light) since new, that would not be good for bearings/bores/rings. Now I am hearing of badly bored jugs that have blow by, some out of spec by .007 and no hatch marks in bore. I could pull my plugs and look with a bore scope. I shouldn't be worried about any of this with a new bike. I don't understand how HD can screw up the basics after 100yrs of experience VERY poor QC.

Last edited by Timberwolf2017; 11-20-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:58 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Yes, SB1450 has been updated, its still only pertaining to stage III and IV builds. The pump part number remains the same but dealers are to use only pumps boxed post 10/17
and return all pre 10/17 pumps for credit.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:44 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,431 Likes on 1,577 Posts

The way it was told to me and the way I read it. The newest pumps are to be used on all bikes 107, 114, 117 not only Stage III and IV. They are no longer doing the mark the pump with dots any longer it is now strictly the date code on the box as the part number did not change but the Oil Pump did. Kind of chicken $hit if you ask me, there should be a new or revised part number anytime it is changed!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
201711211622-updated.pdf (577.8 KB, 229 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
psyshack (11-21-2017), Thingfish (11-22-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 04:54 PM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

The way it was told to me and the way I read it. The newest pumps are to be used on all bikes 107, 114, 117 not only Stage III and IV. They are no longer doing the mark the pump with dots any longer it is now strictly the date code on the box as the part number did not change but the Oil Pump did. Kind of chicken $hit if you ask me, there should be a new or revised part number anytime it is changed!
Could not agree more. I checked the part number for the oil pump before I bought my 18. Thought I was good. But evidently not. No sumping so far so I might be ok anyway. But it sure doesn't make me feel confident

Old 11-21-2017, 04:58 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Thanks for posting the SB, its clearly affecting all the M8's not just the stage III and IV bikes like I was told. It also reads that bikes built after 10/17 will have the new pumps already installed. That sucks for mine that was built 8/17 and had the updated PN

Last edited by sixguns; 11-21-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:49 PM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain

The way I read that is the redesign is for sumping issues, that is all it says to check for. It does not mention oil light issue? I still wish I knew what caused those initial oil light issues.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:47 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,260 Likes on 3,630 Posts

It's my bet that the latest pump with the no change in the part number is nothing more than same previous pump but they set the scavenge pump side clearance.. They probably keep the same number because they are hand finishing them an not wanting to change the label. I don't condone what they are doing but am trying to explain why in their eyes, the number did not change.

Quick Reply: Oil pump changes..