Sponsored by:

Lets Build up the 2018 CVO 117

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 11:48 AM
bikerchronicles
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lets Build up the 2018 CVO 117

Its a ground up project and keeping the warrantee is the trick. Group request: Where do we go from here ? Lets here it

Old 12-19-2017, 12:42 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Are you talking about a CVO Limited?
If so there is currently nothing (in the HD catalog) specifically for it.
Yeah, you could do a stage 1 with the high flow exhaust.
My dealer says they expect that to change in Jan.

I certainly hope so.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:09 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,884 Likes on 6,933 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerchronicles
Its a ground up project and keeping the warrantee is the trick. Group request: Where do we go from here ? Lets here it
You want to HEAR it or here it is?

I guess you start by buying a new CVO with a 117.

My first question then would be why it is not enough in stock form? My 114 is more than enough, but hey I get it.

Then you ask yourself what you want out of it?

Then I would start with HD and see what can be done that would not void the warranty. My guess is probably not much.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:37 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,624 Likes on 4,462 Posts

Yeah if a $45000 117 isn’t good enough to fully enjoy then wtf

The following users liked this post:
Wmoor004 (01-30-2018)
Old 12-19-2017, 08:12 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
Money is not what stops us.... its the need for MORE MORE MORE.
My '17 CVO is a Stage lll 117" and I am not stopping there. Headed to Fuel Moto shortly for MORE!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by GlidingJoe:
bikerchronicles (01-09-2018), Wmoor004 (01-30-2018)
Old 12-20-2017, 06:36 AM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Short of knowing what cam is in the 18 117", I would try it first and than decide what more it needs. Riding single vs two up changes the mods I would do. Good luck in your quest of more power.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:52 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,694 Likes on 828 Posts

To me, stripping and rebuilding a CVO is like taking a Yenko Camaro and stripping down to add fender flares, custom interior, chop the roof, add Air Ride and swap in a stroker! Why not do this to a 6 cyl camaro and save the rare machine? But, hey, that is just me.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (01-04-2018)
Old 12-20-2017, 10:35 AM
bikerchronicles
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone for your ideas and input. It would seem we have 2 schools of thought, the WHY and the WHY NOT. So lets take it from the windshield down. Tried many and what seems to work the best is The Klock Werks. If you ride 8 hours a day at 80 for 3 days straight trust me last thing we want is scrambled vs. over easy. The new CVO Street Glide comes with the best sound system so far so we will move past it and on to the comfort zone, the seating. Below 6 foot you are pretty good to go. Good reach, good back support, heated grips standard and a great instrument layout. Take note the Cruise control has been moved to the left side but you can have it moved back to the right if you prefer. Okay for us so far. Now you 6 foot plus riders. well herein lies the rub. YOU ARE TO FAR FORWAED AND SIT HIGHER unless you like that forward, upright feeling you will want to make some seat changes. I personally like a lower, sit back feeling so for me and a few of the 6 ft. 2 in. and up guys we all agreed. And a plus if you like that special gal right up against you with a helmet bump occasionally, the passenger pillion the CVO Street comes with is in your back pocket so we will be making some adjustments here. Sissy Bar, back rest and a luggage rack for the long hauls. Keeping with the comfort theme and the ride its without a doubt so far the stiffest CVO in the rear shocks we have ridden. Adjustments sure they gottum, But stiffer for 2 up or softer and you are a bottom out mess in pot holes and dips. Back to Progressives here for us, do doubt. The real plus on the Street Glide CVO FLHXSE is, One the handling. Lighter feeling in the front and the lean from one side to the other takes a lot less effort. Two unlike the Road Glide CVO it comes with lowers and now the speakers are back where they belong. Why you pay less for more on the CVO Street vs. the CVO Road glide is a question for their crystal ball . Go figure. So now here comes the Motor rework. Sorry gotta run, its for the next therapy session. BUT know this. With a single cam you maybe actually limited to what you can do Guess why. :

Old 12-20-2017, 02:51 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerchronicles
Thanks everyone for your ideas and input. It would seem we have 2 schools of thought, the WHY and the WHY NOT. So lets take it from the windshield down. Tried many and what seems to work the best is The Klock Werks. If you ride 8 hours a day at 80 for 3 days straight trust me last thing we want is scrambled vs. over easy. The new CVO Street Glide comes with the best sound system so far so we will move past it and on to the comfort zone, the seating. Below 6 foot you are pretty good to go. Good reach, good back support, heated grips standard and a great instrument layout. Take note the Cruise control has been moved to the left side but you can have it moved back to the right if you prefer. Okay for us so far. Now you 6 foot plus riders. well herein lies the rub. YOU ARE TO FAR FORWAED AND SIT HIGHER unless you like that forward, upright feeling you will want to make some seat changes. I personally like a lower, sit back feeling so for me and a few of the 6 ft. 2 in. and up guys we all agreed. And a plus if you like that special gal right up against you with a helmet bump occasionally, the passenger pillion the CVO Street comes with is in your back pocket so we will be making some adjustments here. Sissy Bar, back rest and a luggage rack for the long hauls. Keeping with the comfort theme and the ride its without a doubt so far the stiffest CVO in the rear shocks we have ridden. Adjustments sure they gottum, But stiffer for 2 up or softer and you are a bottom out mess in pot holes and dips. Back to Progressives here for us, do doubt. The real plus on the Street Glide CVO FLHXSE is, One the handling. Lighter feeling in the front and the lean from one side to the other takes a lot less effort. Two unlike the Road Glide CVO it comes with lowers and now the speakers are back where they belong. Why you pay less for more on the CVO Street vs. the CVO Road glide is a question for their crystal ball . Go figure. So now here comes the Motor rework. Sorry gotta run, its for the next therapy session. BUT know this. With a single cam you maybe actually limited to what you can do Guess why. :
Well I differ with two of your comments and the others I agree. The sound system might be the best on a Harley, but sadly it’s Harley Boom Audio which is only fair at best when parked. The bin file changes after starting the bike and riding leaving one with a Bass & volume reduced stereo, I tore it out. The single cam is not a limiting factor form what engine builders are finding. The M8 motor is actually a power plant waiting to be tuned and the Cam gains are impressive.
JMTC

Old 12-20-2017, 07:41 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,969 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
Nope, not when my 13 CVO King will out run my 18 CVO road glide by several bike lengths. The 13 is the one in my signature, built 117 motor.

Originally Posted by GlidingJoe
Money is not what stops us.... its the need for MORE MORE MORE.
My '17 CVO is a Stage lll 117" and I am not stopping there. Headed to Fuel Moto shortly for MORE!!!
I fully understand. I love my 18 CVO Road Glide, but I know it can be more.

I have my 138.5 HP and 140 torque 13 King.

I honestly think I can get very similar numbers out of my road glide for less than half the cost of what I did to the King.

M8 heads flow better than my ported and polished CVO 110 heads.

So no head work required. New valve spring and lifters also not required.

Suburban speed has 124 pistons that will go in stock cylinders with a bore job.

So no need for new cylinders.

So, 11.4 compression on a 124 with a good cam, HPI throttle body and bigger injectors.

Quick Reply: Lets Build up the 2018 CVO 117